News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Curious about a concept in the BIP

Started by Wyldkat, May 13, 2011, 11:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 14, 2011, 11:54:39 AM
Quote from: R.W.H.N. on May 14, 2011, 11:53:17 AM
Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 07:53:42 AM
Generally the term refers to a certain school of thought, like the BIP would be Discordian teachings which in that case the people doing the teaching would be the people who contributed to its creation.  You could use the term Christian teachings for stuff you learn from listening to Christian sermons for example, in which case the teacher would be the person preaching the sermon and to a certain extent whatever sources he/she learned from.  I've also heard the term used by Christians... and I think Mormons so its not just a pagan term.

Speaking as one of the authors of BIP, I wouldn't call what we did as "teaching".  The goal wasn't to tell people how to do something.  It was more like shining a light on something for which the reader may have been in the dark.  "Think For Yourself, Schmuck" isn't instruction.  We never and don't tell people how to think for themselves.  We just recommend highly that they do it, and the BIP gives some examples and evidence as to why that would be desirable.  It really isn't instruction at all. 

I second this.
This..the only parallel I've seen to anything else is maybe some bits from Buddhism, not being able to enlighten a person, just to sort of point at it, "I can only liberate myself" and that sort of thing, but no gurus or masters or empowerments or hierarchies or any of that.
As an aside, I once heard that Jim Morrison went out in the desert and did acid with Casteneda and came back and told everybody he was a wanker.  There's your shamanism. :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Canis latrans securis on May 14, 2011, 07:37:13 AM
Quote from: Nigel on May 14, 2011, 12:41:08 AM
Hey... I take exception to that. I'm epileptic and no one has ever given me any goats.  :cry:

That can be fixed.

:fap:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 07:41:55 AM
Hey... I take exception to that. I'm epileptic and no one has ever given me any goats.  :cry:

You wouldn't take care of them.  You'd get bored, and I'd wind up walking the damn things.

Just because that's what happened with the emus doesn't mean it'll happen again.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 14, 2011, 01:37:22 PM
Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on May 14, 2011, 09:20:45 AM
I expect that you could ask Trip and RWHN to get your goat at any time, however.

Nigel, epilepsy doesn't make people give you goats. It does however, permit the seizure.

:lulz: I hate you for this!

Anna Mae Bollocks

IT'S NOT A SEIZURE IT'S A SHAMANIC CRISIS :fap:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 08:14:17 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 07:55:02 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 07:06:00 AM
Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 03:50:25 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 02:35:33 AM
Honest answer?  Shamanism is just another cell in the BIP.  It's just more rubbish to clutter your head with.

No disagreement here.  Everything is just a creation.  What got to me was the fact that literally the exact same teaching was being used in what I study and what I read here.  I've also found echos of it elsewhere.

Curious, here.  I keep hearing you Pagan types talk about "teachings", "studying", and whatnot.

Who's doing this teaching?

Generally the term refers to a certain school of thought, like the BIP would be Discordian teachings which in that case the people doing the teaching would be the people who contributed to its creation.  You could use the term Christian teachings for stuff you learn from listening to Christian sermons for example, in which case the teacher would be the person preaching the sermon and to a certain extent whatever sources he/she learned from.  I've also heard the term used by Christians... and I think Mormons so its not just a pagan term.

Soooo...No actual sources, then?

Um...  I just explained the term.  The sources would be whatever books, people, etc... that contribute to that particular school of thought, unless books and people are no longer sources in which case you're right.

So...The people that contributed to its creation.

Not Gods, mind you, but people. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on May 14, 2011, 04:54:16 PM

You wouldn't take care of them.  You'd get bored, and I'd wind up walking the damn things.

Just because that's what happened with the emus doesn't mean it'll happen again.

And don't think the PPD has ever forgotten "The Night of the Raptors".  If you don't behave, I'll tell everyone about it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Wyldkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 07:38:27 PM
Honest answer?  Shamanism is just another cell in the BIP.  It's just more rubbish to clutter your head with.

No disagreement here.  Everything is just a creation.  What got to me was the fact that literally the exact same teaching was being used in what I study and what I read here.  I've also found echos of it elsewhere.

Curious, here.  I keep hearing you Pagan types talk about "teachings", "studying", and whatnot.

Um...  I just explained the term.  The sources would be whatever books, people, etc... that contribute to that particular school of thought, unless books and people are no longer sources in which case you're right.

No where in this thread have I said anything about Gods teaching anyone anything...  I'm talking about schools of thought and ideas held by those groups.  I'm not talking about religion, or spirituality or any of that.

All this thread was about was a similarity I noticed between what I had learned over the years in my study of shamanism (only brought shamanism up because that's where I learned it) and a concept I had read here on PD.  I did my research before posting, read the BIP and PD which seemed to confirm what I had previously noticed, so I posted hoping that someone who was more well versed in the subject from the Discordian end would be willing to do some compare contrast so that I could get a better handle on all of it.

Also, to those who say the BIP wasn't intended to teach, any written or spoken word can teach even if that is not the intent of the author or speaker.  Shedding light on a subject is a method of teaching a person about it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 07:39:24 PM

And don't think the PPD has ever forgotten "The Night of the Raptors".  If you don't behave, I'll tell everyone about it.

:crankey:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on May 14, 2011, 08:10:29 PM

See if I fucking don't.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 08:06:53 PM

No where in this thread have I said anything about Gods teaching anyone anything...  I'm talking about schools of thought and ideas held by those groups.  I'm not talking about religion, or spirituality or any of that.

All this thread was about was a similarity I noticed between what I had learned over the years in my study of shamanism (only brought shamanism up because that's where I learned it) and a concept I had read here on PD.  I did my research before posting, read the BIP and PD which seemed to confirm what I had previously noticed, so I posted hoping that someone who was more well versed in the subject from the Discordian end would be willing to do some compare contrast so that I could get a better handle on all of it.

Also, to those who say the BIP wasn't intended to teach, any written or spoken word can teach even if that is not the intent of the author or speaker.  Shedding light on a subject is a method of teaching a person about it.

Oh, you were expecting "serious conversation", having come back with that avatar.

Yeah.  Go back to your dead fucking board and ask your tweaker buddy.  Maybe he'll tell you.

Adios

Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 08:06:53 PM

Dear Child, as far as my participation in the BIP it was self improvement and just damn good fun. I couldn't care less what someone else thinks about it. Those of us who were a part of it saw something special forming.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on May 14, 2011, 08:14:49 PM

Dear Child, as far as my participation in the BIP it was self improvement and just damn good fun. I couldn't care less what someone else thinks about it. Those of us who were a part of it saw something special forming.

DOES NOT APPLY TO NAZIS, THOUGH.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 08:12:51 PM
Quote from: Nigel on May 14, 2011, 08:10:29 PM

See if I fucking don't.

All I have to say is that those winos were on fire already when I got there.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 08:16:54 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on May 14, 2011, 08:14:49 PM

DOES NOT APPLY TO NAZIS, THOUGH.

Of course not, their interest is in placing others in their preconceived BIP.