News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

St. Hugh's Rant #4: Donde Estoy?

Started by Irreverend Hugh, KSC, September 30, 2003, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Where am I? I was born into a world into which I had no choice. Contrary to the smug middle-class New Age idea that we choose our births and our life circumstances in order to learn lessons to evolve ourselves, we really had no choice in our birth. The burden of proof must fall upon the people who adhere to this idea. Affirmations that oppose this fact only serve to obfuscate the reality of our circumstances and try to intellectually ameliorate the socio-economic situation of mass suffering that our human civilizations perpetrate. But intellectual diddlings such as that pointed out above fall apart and are exposed as fallacious wishes when posed in direct contradiction to the reality. Does anyone really wish to argue that the mass amount of suffering which the majority of human beings are subjected to is merely a matter of choice for a greater ?´karmic?? or spiritual lesson? Without resorting to gross mystification and pseudo-spiritual affirmative dogmas, how does one justify such fallacy?

The greatest delusion of that fallacy can justify such suffering by asserting that everyone chooses the circumstances of their birth, and thus their lives and thus their sufferings. Now, of course, there are some personal and individual choices which do lead to greater habits of suffering amongst certain people. But is all of our suffering because of choices? If the answer to that is a ?´yes??, there is a certain willful blindness to the matter of power relations and unequal access to resources that such relations exhibit. How can anyone deny such a reality if not under some powerful and wishful delusion which seeks to justify those relations? I posit that the idea of comfortable people claiming that circumstances of suffering are willfully chosen in all cases is a patent absurdity that can only be believed by those classes of people who need excuses to absolve themselves of any guilt for their contribution to those relations of power and unequal resource access.

Where am I? I was born into this world by no choice of my own. I have life to the best of my ability, but that ability is severely impinged upon by the socio-economic conditions in which I am living. Metaphysically consoling ideas do not change that reality. The only change can come from confronting my circumstances, not in escaping them with spiritual doctrines of no relevance. To paraphrase the Buddha??s Noble Truths in contemporary language ?¨We are living in a shit-storm. What are you going to do about it? Have hope for you can gain freedom from that shit-storm. Investigate your circumstances. I have found some ways of doing so. Feel free to try them out for yourself.?Æ In terms of confrontation, the only choices we really have are to either perpetuate that shit-storm and obey the dogmas that justify it, or to choose to disagree and seek ways to free ourselves from it while helping others do so.

Where am I? I am learning. Seek to do so yourself. And maybe we can help one another.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

But no pity for us that has to actually see this drivel. :x

( :lulz: )

Salty

There's are many valid and pointed reasons to criticize, mock and reject newage ideas. OP contains none of them.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Dysfunctional Cunt

The only happy thought that comes from these little love bumps of Hugh's shit is that he's not here.  Then I think about the people he's torturing with his dribble these days and I just giggle.