News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

New Campaign: Orcs at the Gates.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 15, 2011, 10:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I started out playing with the new town creation rules in GameMastery Guide, and wound up writing a homebrew campaign from the ground up.

The Ghoul Wizard of Hog Waller:  1st-2nd level adventure, completed pending playtest.  Mostly dungeon, some wilderness, has a tiny bit of foreshadowing for the later conflict, and some lead-in material for...

Fast Times in Ferguson's Landing:  3rd-5th level adventure, in progress.  Urban, dungeon in about equal quantities, including a haunting to solve, a thieves' guild to break, and a temple to sack.  Yep, right up from the basement and burn that fucker down.  PCs will then have to leave town, leading to an adventure in the provincial capitol, where they'll hear a bit more about the coming orc menace.

More to come, obviously.  This adventure should take a party to 17th-20th level, using the medium experience track, by the time it's complete.

Richter, I sent you a copy of the first module for playtesting.  Let me know if you don't have a copy of GameMastery Guide...You kind of need it for the city stat block & associated modifiers.  Anyone else who wants to play test it, let me know.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Lemme know when you want to run it, Richter, I'm in.   :)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on May 15, 2011, 10:53:06 PM
Lemme know when you want to run it, Richter, I'm in.   :)

It's designed for 4-5 characters.  4 works best, 5 is okay, 6 or more kinda fucks the experience track.  I'm working on a workaround for that.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Freeky

Luna

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cainad (dec.)

Checking in as a possible playtester. I may be able to get to it next week, after Monday.

Currently seeking out the Pathfinder books in PDF form, not having much luck yet. Also, a few tips on what sorts of feedback you want is needed; I'm trying to break the old habit of playing it all by ear.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on May 19, 2011, 06:27:27 PM
Checking in as a possible playtester. I may be able to get to it next week, after Monday.

Currently seeking out the Pathfinder books in PDF form, not having much luck yet. Also, a few tips on what sorts of feedback you want is needed; I'm trying to break the old habit of playing it all by ear.

1.  I have all the pathfinder shit on PDF.  PM me and we'll talk.

2.  I can email you the module, if you want to playtest it.

Cainad (dec.)

Got the Core Book and Advanced Player's Guide, still out on the GameMastery Guide.

However, I just realized that I'm not gonna have access to a player group next week, or most of the summer, actually. :sad:  Kinda hard to playtest with one dude.

Sorry about that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Spent the weekend pounding out the next town, Ferguson's Landing.

Next, the campaign segment that goes with it.  A haunt, a fight with a thieves' guild, a chase (using the new Gamemastery Guide rule set), sacking a frickin' temple in the middle of town, and then hoss' back fighting out on the plains (a three-way running battle between the good guys, Kelish raiders, and hobgoblins).

Which reminds me...It's now "Hobgoblins at the Gates", as Orcs aren't gonna make the nut.  I need a lawful, organized crew of bad guys.

The Good Reverend Roger

Ferguson's Landing is (finally complete), spooled out new rules for horses (nags, poor, normal, good, excellent, unique), personalized a dozen horses, generated 6 hirelings.

I'm having a ton of fun with this, and I expect this will be my best campaign to date (been DMing since 1977, so that's saying something).

Luna

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on May 24, 2011, 11:01:44 PM
Looking forward to this!

Funniest thing is, once you write the town, the adventure is a snap.

The Good Reverend Roger

Ran the 1st level of the dungeon tonight, 2nd level tomorrow.

The dwarven fighter fumbled twice in a row, resulting in exhaustion (-6 Str & Dex) and some damage, then staggered out into the hallway just in time to catch a crossbow bolt meant for the wizard...It was a crit, and pinned his shield arm to his torso.  Anthony (the player) then spent the rest of the evening saying he should get an extra share of loot for "taking one for the team".

Freeky

Fumbling can be hilarious, if no one actually dies in the doing. 

FWIP, SHIT MISSED THE GUY ANDHIT MYSELF
FWIP, OFUK THERE GOES MY SWORD! 

Also, trying to jump over the burning hands trap (when I would have needed a 17 on the die) and failing three times had me nearly pissing myself with laughter.  I DON'T CARE IF THE ROGUE COULD DO IT BETTER, I HAD FUN DOING IT.

Jasper

Does anyone in the group get conscripted for story recaps?  I'd love to read about this as it goes.