News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Vegan/Vegetarian Recipes.

Started by Felix, May 16, 2011, 09:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix

Quote from: Luna on May 26, 2011, 10:44:17 AM
Quote from: Felix on May 26, 2011, 07:51:57 AM
Pointing this out cause I say it mentioned.
Tofu will not make you more feminine. That's a myth. The estrogens in tofu are not actually estrogens, they are phytoestrogens that only act as a estrogen stabilizer, in other words, they will only increase your estrogen levels if your body says your natural levels are too low.
The myth gets around because people like to depict vegetarians as weak.

ProTip:  Equating "feminine" and "weak" around here WILL get you a boot up your arse.

It's not MY equation. I'm a feminist.
ooooh, you touch my tralala...
mmmmm... my ding ding dong.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Felix on May 26, 2011, 07:51:57 AM
Pointing this out cause I say it mentioned.
Tofu will not make you more feminine. That's a myth. The estrogens in tofu are not actually estrogens, they are phytoestrogens that only act as a estrogen stabilizer, in other words, they will only increase your estrogen levels if your body says your natural levels are too low.
The myth gets around because people like to depict vegetarians as weak.

Phytoestrogens activate estrogen receptors in cells, including cancer cells. In estrogen-responsive breast cancers elevated phytoestrogen intake triggers rapid tumor growth.

So, really, stop talking out your ass.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysfunctional Cunt

My Doctor told me to treat soy as I would red meat.  A great source of protien but not something to eat every day.

I have tofu maybe once a week, sometimes twice if it's something I really like and made enough for leftovers.

East Coast Hustle

Wait, there are people who wish they could safely eat MORE tofu? :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on June 03, 2011, 04:17:15 PM
Wait, there are people who wish they could safely eat MORE tofu? :lulz:

You know as well as I do that if done right it's good!  :wink:

Pope Pixie Pickle

cant have miso without Tofu. Just sayin.

Salty

HOLY FUCK A CHEAP, DELICIOUS VEGAN RECIPE:

Alty's Evil Grandma's Bean Soup That Alty Made His Own

Quantity of these things is based on taste and how much you want leftover. When I was super poor I'd use 1 can of beans, half an onion, and as much garlic as my constitution would allow.

-Onion
-Garlic

Sauté.

Add beans. Of course, dry beans that have been soaked overnight are good. Dry beans that have been boiled for half an hour work as well. So do canned beans, and they work a helluvalot quicker.

Add beans.
Salt, pepper.
Add water to an inch or so above the beans. If you use broth or Vegeta it will be way more flavorsome.

Bring to boil, simmer. 20 min? If canned it won't take quite as long.

I dunno what this is called but:
Heat a tablespoon or so of oil, add flour and paprika. Do not burn the paprika or it will turn bitter. Add water, it will hiss and expand.

Add this to your soup. If done right it not be clumpy and will thicken the soup deliciously.
Sometimes I skip this step and throw in paprika.

BTW: I just got a bunch of fresh Hungarian paprika delivered from my family. If a few of you want some to try I would be willing to mail it to you. Just PM me.

ETA: OH YEAH WHAT BEANS: I use canned black beans, dry white beans. Even pinto beans will work. But I prefer those.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Pixie on June 07, 2011, 03:39:04 PM
cant have miso without Tofu. Just sayin.

Yes you can. Tofu is soybean curd. Miso is fermented soybean paste (and not always; it can be made with rice or barley as well) and though they generally come from the same base ingredient, they use different processes and neither one is a precursor or byproduct of the other.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Alty on June 07, 2011, 06:25:17 PM

I dunno what this is called but:
Heat a tablespoon or so of oil, add flour and paprika. Do not burn the paprika or it will turn bitter. Add water, it will hiss and expand.

We call it roux, but that's probably regional.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

East Coast Hustle

depends on how long it's cooked. Roux has to be cooked long enough to change the properties of the starch on a molecular level. Otherwise it's just a warm beurre manie with paprika, which sounds more likely since paprika would probably scorch before the flour had cooked enough for a proper roux.

Triple Zero

Isn't that the difference between dark and light roux?

What exactly needs to happen at the molecular level (what's it look/feel like), and about how long does it take?

I tried doing that, butter+flour, because I heard you talk about it before, but I wasn't really impressed with the result (and yes, I was stirring all the time). I probably did something wrong though.

For (most/these kinds of*) cooking changes, there's two factors, time and temperature, so maybe it would work if you keep the temperature low enough to keep the paprika from burning, but cook the roux for a longer time? [in a similar sense that you can't cook potatoes in a microwave without letting them rest for a while, you can pump in the heat energy, but the reaction of softening the starch takes time, too].

Though maybe the temp needs to be that high for roux. In that case, adding the paprika later on should work.

* acidity is another and there's probably more.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

Generally speaking, you don't add spices to roux.

I'm not sure what you would add roux to and be unimpressed with the result? It's pretty much only used as a thickener, and it works pretty well for that.

There's a similar thickening technique called beurre manie, which is when you mix together equal parts flour and softened butter but don't cook the mixture. It's good for stuff that you want to add a little body but don't want to make really thick because it gives a more velvety texture than a roux, but you can't use too much of it since it's uncooked and will make whatever you add it to taste like raw flour if you use too much.

Salty

Ah, then I'll just add the paprika in after. No sense in risking it being burnt especially if the roux ought to take longer to cook.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on June 13, 2011, 11:59:57 PM
Generally speaking, you don't add spices to roux.

I'm not sure what you would add roux to and be unimpressed with the result? It's pretty much only used as a thickener, and it works pretty well for that.

There's a similar thickening technique called beurre manie, which is when you mix together equal parts flour and softened butter but don't cook the mixture. It's good for stuff that you want to add a little body but don't want to make really thick because it gives a more velvety texture than a roux, but you can't use too much of it since it's uncooked and will make whatever you add it to taste like raw flour if you use too much.

Yeah, I was thinking of browning flour for gravies and stews and the like. The spices come later.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division