News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Mileage driving tax considered

Started by Adios, May 18, 2011, 05:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on May 18, 2011, 11:38:54 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 18, 2011, 10:20:18 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on May 18, 2011, 10:18:20 PM
This is just stupid.  a higher gas tax would encourage less fuel use, which would be a good thing, a milage tax just encourages less driving period.

It puts a GPS in your car.

More to the point, it gets you used to things like a GPS in your car.

I'm sure.  It's just a really stupid justification for it.

It's not stupid if it works.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Quote from: Iptuous on May 18, 2011, 11:38:10 PM
So, i was going to be all slick and look up the bill on govtrack to find, i was guessing, that this is in the preliminary committee stage of the process where the majority of stupid bill get filed in the circular file.
but when i looked for the number in the article it seems that
QuoteAlthough there's currently no bill proposing such a tax, lawmakers are looking into it.

sooo.... this isn't even news.  :|

You could have simply read the thread title.

Laughin Jude

Quote from: Pastor Miskatonic Zappathruster on May 18, 2011, 06:20:30 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on May 18, 2011, 05:23:54 PM
It seems that those pesky fuel efficient cars are causing some problems as far as funding for highway maintenance.  Not to worry though, a new tax has been proposed.

Because greater fuel economy is letting motorists drive more miles using less gas, the current gas tax that funds the federal government's efforts to build and maintain highways isn't generating enough money.

A driving tax, officially known as a "vehicle miles traveled" tax, could close that gap.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/18/news/economy/gas_tax_drivers/index.htm?hpt=T2

Oh, and as part of calculating how much you owe they are considering putting a gps in your vehicle.
WTH?  Can't they just require the mileage to be reported as part of the annual safety/emissions inspection.

I know some states require those inspections, but I've never lived in one of them.

EDIT: Oh hey multiple pages.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Adios

Next month, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is expected to declare that all vehicles must contain an event data recorder, known more commonly as a "black box." The device, similar to those found in aircraft, records vehicle inputs and, in the event of a crash, provides a snapshot of the final moments before impact.

That snapshot could be viewed by law enforcement, insurance companies and automakers. The device cannot be turned off, and you'll probably know little more about it than the legal disclosure you'll find in the owner's manual.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/05/automotive-black-boxes/

:lulz: