News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Mileage driving tax considered

Started by Adios, May 18, 2011, 05:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

It seems that those pesky fuel efficient cars are causing some problems as far as funding for highway maintenance.  Not to worry though, a new tax has been proposed.

Because greater fuel economy is letting motorists drive more miles using less gas, the current gas tax that funds the federal government's efforts to build and maintain highways isn't generating enough money.

A driving tax, officially known as a "vehicle miles traveled" tax, could close that gap.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/18/news/economy/gas_tax_drivers/index.htm?hpt=T2

Oh, and as part of calculating how much you owe they are considering putting a gps in your vehicle.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on May 18, 2011, 05:35:38 PM
Glad I don't drive.

My tiny mind is already counting the "exceptions" that will be allowed for certain entities.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

ASFGHJ!!! Dude. Just no.

I mean, increasing the gas tax rate, sure. But tracking the miles I drive, and where I go? FUCK THAT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Quote from: Nigel on May 18, 2011, 05:37:42 PM
ASFGHJ!!! Dude. Just no.

I mean, increasing the gas tax rate, sure. But tracking the miles I drive, and where I go? FUCK THAT.

:lulz:

Adding GPS technology enables a whole other level of pricing. Motorists could be charged different rates for travel on different roads during different times of the day. This is a form of congestion pricing, a concept that's generally seen as an effective tool in reducing traffic jams.

But installing GPS technology in cars and giving that data to the government raises a whole series of privacy concerns.

CBO anticipated such concerns in its report.

It said GPS technology that records a vehicle's general but not specific location could ease those concerns.

Also, on board computers could be used to calculate the vehicle's final bill and merely transmit that information to the government, keeping the actual path of the vehicle private.

Like the gas tax, a mileage tax would also tend to have a higher impact on people in rural areas. Rural residents tend to drive larger cars and have longer commutes.

Of course this would never be abused. Right?

Cain

They could just sell the roads to a Sovereign Wealth Fund located in the Middle East, and let them figure out how to raise the revenue.  It worked so well in Chicago!

Adios

Quote from: Cain on May 18, 2011, 05:43:04 PM
They could just sell the roads to a Sovereign Wealth Fund located in the Middle East, and let them figure out how to raise the revenue.  It worked so well in Chicago!

This is so rich in lulz.

*GrumpButt*

Ok what about truck drivers?  Am thinking that company drivers (do not own the truck) would not have to worry about this, their companies would cover anything. But the people that DO own their own trucks/Owner operators.....   Truck drivers can drive 3k miles per week if not more, not to mention that if they are team they can double that number.
*sigh* You have to be kidding me.

Adios

Quote from: *GrumpButt* on May 18, 2011, 05:46:44 PM
Ok what about truck drivers?  Am thinking that company drivers (do not own the truck) would not have to worry about this, their companies would cover anything. But the people that DO own their own trucks/Owner operators.....   Truck drivers can drive 3k miles per week if not more, not to mention that if they are team they can double that number.

While the gas tax is an approximate measure of how much wear and tear a vehicle puts on the roads, with heavier vehicles generally using more gas and so paying more taxes, the mileage tax could be based on a specific vehicle's make, year and model.

A triple-axle truck, for example, causes less road damage than a double-axle truck of the same weight because the weight is more evenly distributed. So the triple axle would be charged less.

Adios

Now I am wondering about trains, planes and boats. This could get good.

Cain

I would expect there would be exemptions for certain economically productive activity.  Like how in the UK, truckers don't pay the fuel tax.

Of course, with a US spin, this exemption would probably only apply to large, well organized firms.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on May 18, 2011, 06:07:32 PM
I would expect there would be exemptions for certain economically productive activity.  Like how in the UK, truckers don't pay the fuel tax.

Of course, with a US spin, this exemption would probably only apply to large, well organized firms.

In the US truckers pay huge taxes, via the fuel tax. For a while some even had signs on them proclaiming "This vehicle pays X thousands of dollars per year in highway taxes."

*GrumpButt*

Of course. And smaller companies are going to get the shitty end of the stick. Owner Operators can work for a company, or just run loads for whatever company is paying the right amount. Which would make them (IMO) self employed. Logging trucks for instance, around here, are all owner operators. Owner Operators do/usually make more money than company drivers, but also have to pay for their own gas, upkeep, lights (every light that a truck has, even the little ones, has to be maintained, D.O.T. will give you a ticket/fine for every tiny light that is not working) not to mention insurance and a shit ton of other things that go along with keeping your truck running, tires and so-forth.

..... I had a point I was trying to make here, but after typing in all that, I have forgotten..... /facepalm

*GrumpButt*

Quote from: Charley Brown on May 18, 2011, 06:10:14 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 18, 2011, 06:07:32 PM

In the US truckers pay huge taxes, via the fuel tax. For a while some even had signs on them proclaiming "This vehicle pays X thousands of dollars per year in highway taxes."

Ok now this is what I was getting at, added to everything I stated above. Or something along those lines anyways.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Charley Brown on May 18, 2011, 05:23:54 PM
It seems that those pesky fuel efficient cars are causing some problems as far as funding for highway maintenance.  Not to worry though, a new tax has been proposed.

Because greater fuel economy is letting motorists drive more miles using less gas, the current gas tax that funds the federal government's efforts to build and maintain highways isn't generating enough money.

A driving tax, officially known as a "vehicle miles traveled" tax, could close that gap.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/18/news/economy/gas_tax_drivers/index.htm?hpt=T2

Oh, and as part of calculating how much you owe they are considering putting a gps in your vehicle.
WTH?  Can't they just require the mileage to be reported as part of the annual safety/emissions inspection.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.