PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

Mileage driving tax considered

Started by Adios, May 18, 2011, 05:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Pastor Miskatonic Zappathruster on May 18, 2011, 06:20:30 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on May 18, 2011, 05:23:54 PM
It seems that those pesky fuel efficient cars are causing some problems as far as funding for highway maintenance.  Not to worry though, a new tax has been proposed.

Because greater fuel economy is letting motorists drive more miles using less gas, the current gas tax that funds the federal government's efforts to build and maintain highways isn't generating enough money.

A driving tax, officially known as a "vehicle miles traveled" tax, could close that gap.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/18/news/economy/gas_tax_drivers/index.htm?hpt=T2

Oh, and as part of calculating how much you owe they are considering putting a gps in your vehicle.
WTH?  Can't they just require the mileage to be reported as part of the annual safety/emissions inspection.

Not all states have those.

Miss Demeanor

Why don't we just fucking tax each individual's oxygen intake FFS.
JESUS SAVES!   By shopping wisely and using double coupons!

*GrumpButt*

Quote from: Miss Demeanor on May 18, 2011, 06:22:20 PM
Why don't we just fucking tax each individual's oxygen intake FFS.

Soon I am sure.

Will be a scale that determines how much you inhale. Will go by age, sex, weight, smoke or not, (maybe smokers will get a discount as we can't inhale as much/well)  also will take into account how much you have exercised cause you know, you breath moar when you do that.
*sigh* You have to be kidding me.

Cain

Basically, a giant GPS powered system of mileage collation is going to cost billions to implement. 

This will no doubt be outsourced.  Cheaper alternatives will be ignored.

Follow the money.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on May 18, 2011, 06:26:26 PM
Basically, a giant GPS powered system of mileage collation is going to cost billions to implement. 

This will no doubt be outsourced.  Cheaper alternatives will be ignored.

Follow the money.

I see a new crime opportunity here. Counterfeiting license plates to avoid having your vehicle in the DMV database. Creating false documentation of wrecks causing the vehicle to be totaled and of course removing gps systems.

LMNO

Or they could, you know, build more toll booths.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 18, 2011, 06:47:21 PM
Or they could, you know, build more toll booths.

But that would just create more jobs for the Mexicans to take, LMNO!
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Hacking this little toy could make for some great LULZ.

"Sir, you are behind on your taxes., Our records show you traveled 15,000 miles each week this year."
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pastor Miskatonic Zappathruster on May 18, 2011, 06:20:30 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on May 18, 2011, 05:23:54 PM
It seems that those pesky fuel efficient cars are causing some problems as far as funding for highway maintenance.  Not to worry though, a new tax has been proposed.

Because greater fuel economy is letting motorists drive more miles using less gas, the current gas tax that funds the federal government's efforts to build and maintain highways isn't generating enough money.

A driving tax, officially known as a "vehicle miles traveled" tax, could close that gap.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/18/news/economy/gas_tax_drivers/index.htm?hpt=T2

Oh, and as part of calculating how much you owe they are considering putting a gps in your vehicle.
WTH?  Can't they just require the mileage to be reported as part of the annual safety/emissions inspection.

Not the point.  My good friend Franz Kafka has explained all of this.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BabylonHoruv

This is just stupid.  a higher gas tax would encourage less fuel use, which would be a good thing, a milage tax just encourages less driving period.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on May 18, 2011, 10:18:20 PM
This is just stupid.  a higher gas tax would encourage less fuel use, which would be a good thing, a milage tax just encourages less driving period.

It puts a GPS in your car.

More to the point, it gets you used to things like a GPS in your car.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 18, 2011, 10:20:18 PM

This is the heart of the issue. Also BH the problem is we are using less fuel, therefore less taxes generated.

Another thing we should be asking is where is the money going? The majority of our bridges will be obsolete and out of (safety) date in just a few short years. Many are already rotten and some are closed due to safety concerns and others have just collapsed.

WE'RE NUMBER 1!!!!!!

Right?

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Charley Brown on May 18, 2011, 10:40:34 PM

This is the heart of the issue. Also BH the problem is we are using less fuel, therefore less taxes generated.

Another thing we should be asking is where is the money going? The majority of our bridges will be obsolete and out of (safety) date in just a few short years. Many are already rotten and some are closed due to safety concerns and others have just collapsed.

WE'RE NUMBER 1!!!!!!

Right?

But we're spending more on fuel.  If they taxed it like a sales tax revenues would actually be up.

-Dok Howl

Elder Iptuous

So, i was going to be all slick and look up the bill on govtrack to find, i was guessing, that this is in the preliminary committee stage of the process where the majority of stupid bill get filed in the circular file.
but when i looked for the number in the article it seems that
QuoteAlthough there's currently no bill proposing such a tax, lawmakers are looking into it.

sooo.... this isn't even news.  :|

BabylonHoruv

I'm sure.  It's just a really stupid justification for it.

-Dok Howl