News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Cyberpunk

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, May 18, 2011, 05:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

So, I just finished reading Neuromancer and have come to the conclusion that we're more-or-less beginning to live in the world Gibson described in the 80s.

edit: added link

Cain

I still have to read that.  Though I'm currently making (slow) progress through Spook Country.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

First recreational book I've read in years. Wasn't too bad.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I've read everything by Gibson and I think his view of the future is going to be far more close to reality than some of the more optimistic authors.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Don Coyote

Scary isn't it?

Just look at Japan.

The Wizard

I figure we'll come pretty close. Except we won't be the ones with the cybernetic implants, like the hand blades Molly had.
Insanity we trust.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on May 19, 2011, 02:01:53 AM
I figure we'll come pretty close. Except we won't be the ones with the cybernetic implants, like the hand blades Molly had.

Screw built in melee weapons. I want eyes....and tentacles.....

Elder Iptuous

i've definitely got to put that one on my pile.
what year is it set in?

Triple Zero

Gibson's Pattern Recognition is set "20 minutes into the future", kinda. Deals with online communities and a weird ARG. Hit real close.

Snow Crash by Stephenson is much more fun, and the VR world in that novel is pretty much exactly what 2nd Life wanted to be.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Except Stephenson carefully left out the furries and giant, disembodied penises.  Which is just as well, really.

LMNO

I'm pretty sure the addition of giant disembodied penises would have made Snow Crash simply too awesome to exist.

Cain

No, the fact that the press is reporting that Al-Qaeda hatched a plan using a tractor covered in spinning swords to attack America means reality is too awesome to exist.

LMNO

Leonardo Da Vinci, thou are avenged!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on May 18, 2011, 07:38:01 PM
I've read everything by Gibson and I think his view of the future is going to be far more close to reality than some of the more optimistic authors.

He's a hopeless fucking optimist.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 19, 2011, 08:40:00 AM
Gibson's Pattern Recognition is set "20 minutes into the future", kinda. Deals with online communities and a weird ARG. Hit real close.

Snow Crash by Stephenson is much more fun, and the VR world in that novel is pretty much exactly what 2nd Life wanted to be.

Reality Interrupt by James Hogan is way better.  Try it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.