News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

16 year old girl threatened with rape for challenging Bachmann.

Started by Suu, May 25, 2011, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Cramulus on May 25, 2011, 09:44:41 PM
It's interesting .. we've seen a few stories like this in the last year, haven't we? Jessi Slaughter and Rebecca Black come to mind. It's like we haven't collectively established the appropriate response for a child being super annoying on the internet.

I agree that it's badwrong to troll kids, especially threaten them with violence. I also think that regardless of age, when you post something controversial on the net, you should be prepared for the fallout. (please do not read that as excusing people for being rude to kids) People were real jerks to Jessi Slaughter, but on the other side of the coin, she also shouldn't have told anonymous that she was going to "pop a glock in your mouth and make a brain slushee." This is why I wish there was a course in elementary schools about how to use the Internet and how to relate to the Internet.

@Nigel: I did not say we shouldn't criticize or condemn people

Wait are you saying, kid's aside, women who can't handle death and rape threats shouldn't post anything political, or anything of that matter, online?
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cramulus

Child posts

Internet froths

Child cries

that's what I'm talking about. We're going to see this happen a bunch more in the coming year, with increasing degrees of support or outrage depending on whether the kid annoyed us personally. There will even be a short-hand slang word for this phenomenon. But I think that's still a few months off.

By the way, this article is not about the girl getting trolled, the point of the article is to make you say "Supporters of Michelle Bachmann are would-be child rapists."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on May 25, 2011, 09:52:31 PM
Child posts

Child wrote a letter to a politician.

Child got smacked down by Bachmann's fans on the internet.

One more person who won't ever get involved in politics.

Thus endeth the lesson.  "Keep your opinions to yourself, asshole."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Point of the article was "Kids, don't let this happen to you.  For God's sake, shut up."

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 25, 2011, 09:54:56 PM
Child posts

child's father posted letter on cnn.com

where it would be x-posted on tea-party blogs and forums and receive comments and criticisms

some of those comments and criticisms were badwrong, but you have to expect that's going to happen when you communicate via mass media.

I'm not saying that people should live in fear of harsh feedback, I'm saying that when you hold up a megaphone, you should be prepared for people to shout back too

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on May 25, 2011, 09:57:53 PM
Child posts

where it would be x-posted on tea-party blogs and forums and receive comments and criticisms

some of those comments and criticisms were badwrong, but you have to expect that's going to happen when you communicate via mass media.

I'm not saying that people should live in fear of harsh feedback, I'm saying that when you hold up a megaphone, you should be prepared for people to shout back too

Sure.  She only got what she deserved.  2/3rds do, sooner or later.

And like I said, this will be one - two, actually - people who will learn to SIT DOWN and SHUT UP, and that's what we're all about, here in The Church™ and in America™.

Thurnez Isa

This reminds me when Glenn Beck's followers threatened to kill that 70 year old sociologist earlier this year for something she wrote in the 60's

Dante

Adios

I'm going to threaten to rape every teenager who posts something political. The only real question is do I threaten to kill them before or after the rape.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Child posts

Internet froths

Child cries

that's what I'm talking about. We're going to see this happen a bunch more in the coming year, with increasing degrees of support or outrage depending on whether the kid annoyed us personally. There will even be a short-hand slang word for this phenomenon. But I think that's still a few months off.

By the way, this article is not about the girl getting trolled, the point of the article is to make you say "Supporters of Michelle Bachmann are would-be child rapists."

We're not talking about people being garden-variety mean on the internet. We're talking about people threatening a child with rape because she wrote a letter they disagree with.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Child posts

Right

and if I hold up a megaphone announcing my intent to rape each and every one of you, I should reasonably expect to receive a response in kind.

The issue is that members of the Tea Party are openly using threats of violence to quell opposing political opinions.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

It's the New America™. He who screams the rudest and the loudest wins.

Isn't there laws against that kind of shit? Seriously, threatening to rape a child is.....(speechless)

Miss Demeanor

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 25, 2011, 09:59:44 PM
Child posts

And like I said, this will be one - two, actually - people who will learn to SIT DOWN and SHUT UP, and that's what we're all about, here in The Church™ and in America™.

Or she'll learn to stand firm for her beliefs no matter what. 
JESUS SAVES!   By shopping wisely and using double coupons!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Miss Demeanor on May 25, 2011, 10:57:02 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 25, 2011, 09:59:44 PM
Child posts

Or she'll learn to stand firm for her beliefs no matter what. 

She might. And all the other kids who hear about it might, too.

But that doesn't make it OK.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Nigel on May 25, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
Child posts

Internet froths

Child cries

We're not talking about people being garden-variety mean on the internet. We're talking about people threatening a child with rape because she wrote a letter they disagree with.

This *is* garden variety mean for any woman who manages to get the attention of the wrong parts of the internet.  Men can expect death threats instead.  The problem is a lot deeper than the politics.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.