News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

16 year old girl threatened with rape for challenging Bachmann.

Started by Suu, May 25, 2011, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on May 26, 2011, 02:08:38 AM
Quote from: Telarus on May 26, 2011, 01:49:25 AM
I'd also like to point out that Rog also nailed an underlying trend:

That it has now become "acceptable" within certain circles to threaten a child with rape to shut her up and intimidate others from speaking their political views.

Yep. That's really what this is about, IMO; the very disturbing trend for certain groups to neither denounce nor shun those of their own who use tactics that previously, almost everyone wanted to distance themselves from.

IT'S SPRINGTIME IN MUNICH ARIZONA!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BabylonHoruv

Importantly, this is the teaparty, who are quick as can be to censor people they disagreee with, whether in blogs or forums.

They can't claim this is because they are opposed to censorship, or supporting free speech or anything of the sort.

They do not censor this because they support this particular speech.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on May 25, 2011, 09:44:41 PM
It's interesting .. we've seen a few stories like this in the last year, haven't we? Jessi Slaughter and Rebecca Black come to mind. It's like we haven't collectively established the appropriate response for a child being super annoying on the internet.

I agree that it's badwrong to troll kids, especially threaten them with violence. I also think that regardless of age, when you post something controversial on the net, you should be prepared for the fallout. (please do not read that as excusing people for being rude to kids) People were real jerks to Jessi Slaughter, but on the other side of the coin, she also shouldn't have told anonymous that she was going to "pop a glock in your mouth and make a brain slushee." This is why I wish there was a course in elementary schools about how to use the Internet and how to relate to the Internet.

@Nigel: I did not say we shouldn't criticize or condemn people

I did not get this memo.  I frequently troll kids IRL, and threaten them with cartoonish levels of violence.

Slyph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 25, 2011, 09:48:30 PM
It's interesting .. we've seen a few stories like this in the last year, haven't we? Jessi Slaughter and Rebecca Black come to mind. It's like we haven't collectively established the appropriate response for a child being super annoying on the internet.

Wait.

A 16 year old attempting to take part in the political process is the same as Rebecca Black?

Well, all three of them stories follow a kind of "young woman does something; gets threatened with rape" trend.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Slyph on May 26, 2011, 10:20:28 AM

Wait.

A 16 year old attempting to take part in the political process is the same as Rebecca Black?

Well, all three of them stories follow a kind of "young woman does something; gets threatened with rape" trend.

This merely confirms my present opinion of humans.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 26, 2011, 03:05:59 PM

Wait.

This merely confirms my present opinion of humans.

I'm getting there.

I think I might miss thinking that most people are basically decent.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on May 26, 2011, 08:07:24 AM

I agree that it's badwrong to troll kids, especially threaten them with violence. I also think that regardless of age, when you post something controversial on the net, you should be prepared for the fallout. (please do not read that as excusing people for being rude to kids) People were real jerks to Jessi Slaughter, but on the other side of the coin, she also shouldn't have told anonymous that she was going to "pop a glock in your mouth and make a brain slushee." This is why I wish there was a course in elementary schools about how to use the Internet and how to relate to the Internet.

I did not get this memo.  I frequently troll kids IRL, and threaten them with cartoonish levels of violence.

Telling them some over-the-top crap about punting them back into their mother's womb is one thing.

Threatening to post their home address while a dozen slackjawed teabaggers drool over the prospect of raping the bad values out of her is another.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 26, 2011, 03:07:40 PM

Telling them some over-the-top crap about punting them back into their mother's womb is one thing.

Threatening to post their home address while a dozen slackjawed teabaggers drool over the prospect of raping the bad values out of her is another.

There would be no place for these fuckers to hide if this were my daughter. 

I don't understand how any threats made towards this girl in this matter are not criminal.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on May 26, 2011, 03:16:16 PM

I don't understand how any threats made towards this girl in this matter are not criminal.

They are.  Unfortunately, the odds of a successful prosecution are somewhere between jack and shit.

Adios

Why is no one playing the pedo card? IMO it is fairly blatant in this case.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wait.

Which is not OK no matter what the scenario, but "general public random asswipe" is one thing, "speaking for my political party" is another. See the post about this behavior not being denounced or condemned, but tacitly encouraged by the other members of the Tea Party. The political aspect is relevant, no matter how much people keep trying to ignore it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 26, 2011, 03:18:18 PM
Quote from: Khara on May 26, 2011, 03:16:16 PM

They are.  Unfortunately, the odds of a successful prosecution are somewhere between jack and shit.

:evil:

Oh but I would personally try it in the media, rather than an actual courtroom!!   :wink:

I'm ok with public humiliation and careers being ruined.

Thurnez Isa

Apparently Bachmann has been called out yet again.
By a 17 year old now
http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/laurilebo/4675/hey_michele_bachmann%2C_i_got_your_nobel_laureates_right_here/
Maybe after a few years she'll actually get called out by someone her own age.
QuoteThis week, 17-year-old Baton Rouge high school student Zack Kopplin called on Bachmann to back up her statement from 2006 in which she said lots of Nobel Prize winners support intelligent design.

Exhibit B: "There is a controversy among scientists about whether evolution is a fact... hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel prizes, believe in intelligent design."

Kopplin is leading a charge to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act, an anti-evolution law that would sneak the teaching of creationism into science class. I've analyzed the purpose of the law here.

What's really cool about Kopplin's campaign is that he has lined up support for the repeal from 43 Nobel Laureates.

So Kopplin, in an open letter on his web site Wednesday, basically said, "I've shown mine, now you, Congresswoman Bachmann, show me yours."

He writes:

Does Congresswoman Bachmann really think the public will fall for her sleight of hand and believe she has Nobel Laureate scientists who support these unscientific theories?

Congresswoman Bachmann, I see your "hundreds" of scientists, and raise you millions of scientists.

For the next hand, I raise you 43 Nobel Laureate scientists.  That's right: 43 Nobel Laureate scientists have endorsed our effort to repeal Louisiana's creationism law.

Major science organizations, including the American Association for the Advancement of Science, which represents over 10 million scientists, have publicly endorsed the repeal.

Congresswoman Bachmann, you claim that Nobel Laureates support creationism.  Show me your hand. If you want to be taken seriously by voters while you run for President, back up your claims with facts. Can you match 43 Nobel Laureates, or do you fold?

Kopplin is testifying before Louisiana lawmakers today urging them to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on May 26, 2011, 08:27:55 PM
Apparently Bachmann has been called out yet again.
By a 17 year old now

I wonder if she'll send a few teabaggers around to curb stomp him until he sees the light?