News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

FBI targets political activists

Started by Adios, May 26, 2011, 05:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

More than a dozen peace activists in the Midwest will face a federal grand jury in Chicago in the next few weeks, in an investigation related to terrorism.

The FBI searched the activists' homes last week, confiscating computers, photographs and other materials that the search warrants suggest could be evidence of "material support" of terrorist organizations. None of those whose homes were searched have been charged but they have been subpoenaed to appear before a federal grand jury in Chicago.
http://www.npr.org/2010/10/02/130274688/fbi-targets-peace-activists-for-alleged-terrorism-support

They are using anti terrorist laws along with warrants to search homes and issue grand jury subpoenas. reliable sources are hard to dig up, but this appears to be happening nationwide.

The Good Reverend Roger

Verthaine called this shit back in 2002.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Cain

The FBI stopped targeting political activists?

Adios

Quote from: Cain on May 26, 2011, 05:34:20 PM
The FBI stopped targeting political activists?

Excellent point. This may also explain why NPR is on the financial aid hit list.

Honestly, we can not expect honest reporting for any US news source because they would be under the search warrant and grand jury subpoena threat, as well as the FCC. I suspect they could be charged and have their licenses stripped.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, you mean the terrorist act is being used to intimidate and harass political detractors?  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Quote from: Nigel on May 27, 2011, 06:01:50 AM
Oh, you mean the terrorist act is being used to intimidate and harass political detractors?  :lulz:
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT???

I was shocked!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Charley Brown on May 27, 2011, 02:50:04 PM
Quote from: Nigel on May 27, 2011, 06:01:50 AM
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT???

I was shocked!

I can hardly even comprehend that it's happening! Isn't that, like, undemocratic or something? In my America?

:lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Because fuck 200+ years of actually caring what serfs unprivileged citizens think.

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 27, 2011, 05:51:24 PM
Because fuck 200+ years of actually caring what serfs unprivileged citizens think.

What country did that ever occur in?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on May 27, 2011, 05:55:32 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on May 27, 2011, 05:51:24 PM

What country did that ever occur in?

Canada was coming close, but veered off into right wing nutjobbery this year.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Jasper

Uh...France, 18th century, for a little bit.  Since then?  

Uhhhhh...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 27, 2011, 05:57:18 PM

Uhhhhh...

Hah!  There isn't even a French word for freedom.

TGRR,
Expert on these here matters.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 27, 2011, 05:58:43 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on May 27, 2011, 05:57:18 PM

Uhhhhh...

Hah!  There isn't even a French word for freedom.

TGRR,
Expert on these here matters.

Well hell. I thought "Let them eat cake" was French for freedom.

Jasper

All I'm saying is I wish Americans would show some nards and put some guards' heads on pikes in front of the White House.  It's the only thing monarchs understand.