News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Sick to death of health.

Started by Salty, June 04, 2011, 11:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

Nobody knows what the hell health means.

the general condition of the body or mind with reference to soundness and vigor: good health; poor health.
soundness of body or mind; freedom from disease or ailment: to have one's health; to lose one's health.
a polite or complimentary wish for a person's health, happiness, etc., especially as a toast: We drank a health to our guest of honor.

General, soundness and complimentary being the key words.

The WHO defines it as:
QuoteA state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.

Jesus. Seriously? Social well-being, too? I am most certainly in poor health. I think we all are.

What bothers me most about that definition is that it's too open to interpretation. Both undereducated and self-assure quacks as well as over-paid men and women who should hardly be allowed the honor of wearing a white lab coat take advantage of it. That may be the nature of the beast but it still bugs the fuck out of me. It also raises the question of what the hell the medical industry thinks they're doing.

There isn't a single person that can tell me our dependence and dealings with insurance companies is contributing to our positive mental health. Or much, much worse, our inability to depend on and deal with them, the price paid for daring to be too poor to place bets on our inevitably fragile bodies. Don't get me started on the nature of geriatric care (before even considering the abuse recently mentioned). Do you know how much dermatologists make? Do you know how much geriatric physicians make? Hint: Think north and south poles.

And hell, we in the civilized world have it good.
We have all the supplies and knowledge and ability to provide substantial benefits to the body and outstanding overall health. Sure, there's the unwillingness on individuals to take advantage of those things. I could sure use some more cardio in my life.

That's certainly part of the problem, a big part.
We don't want health, we want to be healthy naturally. With, I dunno, a pill or something.

But then what the hell are we trying to say when we say healthy?

Definitions are good, I like them. When they work. Those above don't do it for me. I doubt I'd get one that would satisfy me because it's not really the definition but our collective perspective that bugs me.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.