News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

The Spiritual Crossroads.

Started by Cardinal Pizza Deliverance., June 06, 2011, 05:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Quote from: Wyldkat on June 06, 2011, 10:35:44 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 06, 2011, 10:25:26 PM
Well, having put more thought into it, I think the world needs more Pagan forums.  I mean, it's not like every cafe druid and cherohonkey with a copy of Mists of Avalon hasn't started one, or that they ALL turn out the same way.

Prediction:  No matter how good the intent of the 3 people involved, no matter what examples they have to warn them, within months they'll be strongarming people with the mod button.

Why?  Because Paganism is - and always has been - about control.  Gardiner and his friends, in Wicca's case, wrote that RIGHT INTO THE RELIGION...So that they could use it to control the rubes that followed them.  

TGRR's Dictum:  A Pagan board will go mod-happy just as soon as they have a base of believers that have to be "protected" from any test of their ideas from an outside person or group.

If they can't survive a test of their ideas then they need to grow a pair and figure out where the big kid underpants drawer is....

I'm very curious if we will last and have the forum run the way we want it to.  Paganism isn't Gardner.  Not only that, but The Spiritual Crossroads is a pagan based interfaith forum.  The long term goal is to have people of all paths there sharing and learning in a respectful but real environment.

Here's what I see.  You're attempting to dictate the environment... which means you're going to have to enforce that environment.  Which means you're going to have to mod, and start using the banstick...

You see where this is going?
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Succulent Plant

The board finally come up for me and I regged. I see that the rules include "Don't be a jackass." I considered backing out at that point but continued... 

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm very curious if we will last and have the forum run the way we want it to.  Paganism isn't Gardner.  Not only that, but The Spiritual Crossroads is a pagan based interfaith forum.  The long term goal is to have people of all paths there sharing and learning in a respectful but real environment.

Whoa.  You're already at the "respectful" part.  I've seen THAT before.  Same with the interfaith..."All paths are welcome here".

And Gardiner was just one (1) example.  I can provide plenty of others.  In fact, ALL of the 20th century "Pagans" that wrote one or more books.  Every last one.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aloe on June 06, 2011, 10:42:32 PM
The board finally come up for me and I regged. I see that the rules include "Don't be a jackass." I considered backing out at that point but continued... 

Oddly enough, they have the SAME EXACT RULE at TC.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My hunch is that it's only a matter of time before the "guidelines" are being enforced with infractions.

I'd LOVE to be wrong. In fact, I'd love it if they were reworded to be "suggestions" rather than "guidelines".

We'll see.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Your Mom on June 06, 2011, 10:46:28 PM
My hunch is that it's only a matter of time before the "guidelines" are being enforced with infractions.

Hence TGRR's Dictum.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 06, 2011, 10:44:12 PM
I'm very curious if we will last and have the forum run the way we want it to.  Paganism isn't Gardner.  Not only that, but The Spiritual Crossroads is a pagan based interfaith forum.  The long term goal is to have people of all paths there sharing and learning in a respectful but real environment.

Whoa.  You're already at the "respectful" part.  I've seen THAT before.  Same with the interfaith..."All paths are welcome here".

And Gardiner was just one (1) example.  I can provide plenty of others.  In fact, ALL of the 20th century "Pagans" that wrote one or more books.  Every last one.

If I recall correctly, both Adler and Bonewitz rejected the existing Wiccan traditions for that reason, and created their own egalitarian sects. Adler was particularly staunchly against built-in hierarchies, and on demanding respect via perceived power rather than earning respect through actions.

Of course, I have also never ever ever once seen a Reclaiming witch on a forum.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

I'd just like to clarify something here:  I am not going to go "help my theory along".  Frankly, I have no interest in stepping on CPD's game.  I am merely making a prediction.

I will, in fact, not be going to the board, because I am not a Pagan as the word is generally used.  Since I have no interest in Paganism - outside of Discordia - and given that Pagans invariably shit on Discordians as the "poor relations", then if I am not there to troll, there really is no reason to go.

CPD aside, I really don't like Pagans.  In fact, I'd say that I dislike them to an extreme degree, based entirely on the Pagans I have met online and IRL.  The fact that I don't show up with a flamethrower and a silly grin can be attributed to CPD being the ONE exception to that dislike.

So, go ahead and give it a shot.  But I'll be here to tell you "I told you so" when you're infracting people for not being "respectful" enough.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Your Mom on June 06, 2011, 10:53:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 06, 2011, 10:44:12 PM

If I recall correctly, both Adler and Bonewitz rejected the existing Wiccan traditions for that reason, and created their own egalitarian sects. Adler was particularly staunchly against built-in hierarchies, and on demanding respect via perceived power rather than earning respect through actions.

Of course, I have also never ever ever once seen a Reclaiming witch on a forum.

Point.  I've never met one, so I retract that statement and amend it to "Every Pagan I've ever had any experience with".

Wyldkat

"Don't be a jackass" is part of the Spirit of the Forum.  It's not a rule, it is a guideline for the type of community we are striving for.  There are absolutely no plans to enforce them beyond reminding people about the Spirit of the Forum and ask people who are fighting to take it to the Fight Club.

I'm not against changing it to suggestions.  I'll discuss it with the others.  It might say suggestions in there as it is.  I know it did in one revision.

And please participate, anyone who wants to.  Participate as yourselves whatever that might entail.  We do ask that you keep the Spirit of the Forum in mind, mainly the attack posts not people and be respectful of different paths parts.  We are asking, not demanding.

Also is is not specifically a pagan forum.  It is a pagan based interfaith forum.  We're hoping to get people of all paths to come by and participate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wyldkat on June 06, 2011, 10:57:50 PM
Also is is not specifically a pagan forum.  It is a pagan based interfaith forum.  We're hoping to get people of all paths to come by and participate.

I'll pass, for the reasons I gave above.

I don't like Pagans (CPD aside), and just as I wouldn't go to a party full of people I hate (unless I was there to pee in the punch), I won't be going to a Pagan-based forum for any reason that doesn't involve mayhem.

Phox

I only ever join forums that I intend to start a fight on. Or there's a fight already in progress. I posit this as evidence.

Quote from: Doktor Phox's first post
Well, perhaps this was not the best thread to begin reading on this site. I came here to find fellow Discordians, and then I read (most) of this twelve page, youtube-esque flame war (with somehow less coherence). I'm home!  :lulz:

Wyldkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 06, 2011, 10:59:49 PM
Quote from: Wyldkat on June 06, 2011, 10:57:50 PM

I'll pass, for the reasons I gave above.

I don't like Pagans (CPD aside), and just as I wouldn't go to a party full of people I hate (unless I was there to pee in the punch), I won't be going to a Pagan-based forum for any reason that doesn't involve mayhem.

That's fine.  I was just clarifying the concept.  :)

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I'm trying to be all "it's cool, I'm just curious to see how it plays out" rather than getting caught up in the mod aspect of things.

However, if I go over to the dipshit side, I would hope y'all would find some hilariously horrible way to bring me to my senses. And/or burn the place down with me in it. :P
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Freeky

I'd just like to suggest to Wyldkat that REAL respect is earned through being able to be as much of a jackass as is possible without getting personal.  If you don't have the freedom to shout and verbally abuse the void, then it's pretty much just glorified and sanctimonious ass kissing.  

A forum with a "No jackassery" policy is already going down the road of "No, YOU shut up!" with the ban button as an argument winner.