News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

The Spiritual Crossroads.

Started by Cardinal Pizza Deliverance., June 06, 2011, 05:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on June 07, 2011, 03:00:29 AM
I'd just like to suggest to Wyldkat that REAL respect is earned through being able to be as much of a jackass as is possible without getting personal.  If you don't have the freedom to shout and verbally abuse the void, then it's pretty much just glorified and sanctimonious ass kissing.  

A forum with a "No jackassery" policy is already going down the road of "No, YOU shut up!" with the ban button as an argument winner.  

What she said.

Anna Mae Bollocks

The "R" word? I remember that from Mystic Pricks.  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

If you need a respect rule to keep your constituency happy, get a new constituency.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Wyldkat

Quote from: Canis latrans securis on June 07, 2011, 03:02:22 AM
I'd just like to suggest to Wyldkat that REAL respect is earned through being able to be as much of a jackass as is possible without getting personal.  If you don't have the freedom to shout and verbally abuse the void, then it's pretty much just glorified and sanctimonious ass kissing.  

A forum with a "No jackassery" policy is already going down the road of "No, YOU shut up!" with the ban button as an argument winner.  

What she said.

I rather agree with the bolded part.

Ok then.  Here's the guideline (not a rule):

III. Do Not Be a Jackass
This means, but is not limited to:
A.  Editing your messages to considerably change the content after a message can be assumed to have been read.
B.  Trolling (posting material just to stir up trouble or start flame wars).
C.  Proselytizing for any religion, except in Convert Me!.
D.  Sharing intimate personal details in inappropriate threads; there is an Adult forum for a reason. Use of gratuitous offensive language.
E.  Causing drama simply for the sake of causing drama, be it between people or between boards.
F.  Using an offensive or inappropriate username, custom title, avatar, signature, etc.

How else can we phrase this to give people an idea for the type of atmosphere we are going for and not fall under the issues you all have with it?

Why is asking for respectful behavior in a guideline a problem?

I genuinely want to know what you all have to say about these questions.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Canis latrans securis on June 06, 2011, 10:37:31 PM
You should make me a mod. :lulz:

I honestly think you'd make a good mod if it weren't for the fact that you have personal issues with WyldKat and I.  A mod team where one member despises another one and is disgusted by a third is going to end up fighting and take that out on the members.

It's not like the mod team has to love one another, but they have to get along.

Also it's a small forum, we don't really need more than 3 mods yet.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 06, 2011, 10:56:01 PM
I'd just like to clarify something here:  I am not going to go "help my theory along".  Frankly, I have no interest in stepping on CPD's game.  I am merely making a prediction.

I will, in fact, not be going to the board, because I am not a Pagan as the word is generally used.  Since I have no interest in Paganism - outside of Discordia - and given that Pagans invariably shit on Discordians as the "poor relations", then if I am not there to troll, there really is no reason to go.

CPD aside, I really don't like Pagans.  In fact, I'd say that I dislike them to an extreme degree, based entirely on the Pagans I have met online and IRL.  The fact that I don't show up with a flamethrower and a silly grin can be attributed to CPD being the ONE exception to that dislike.

So, go ahead and give it a shot.  But I'll be here to tell you "I told you so" when you're infracting people for not being "respectful" enough.

I hope to prove you wrong.  However I don't expect you ever to concede, and I hope you will not.  You holding up your dictum, if i ever need reminding that taking a little more power, or pulling out the banstick just this one time is not a good idea, will help things to be further from totalitarian.

I'm not proclaiming that we wont fail, in fact, we probably will.  Most forums do.  But i hope we get a few, or several good eyars before that happens.  And I hope when that happens that I can get CPD and Wyldkat to jump ship with me, or simply to relax with me and start a new, better forum.

Also, Nigel, I'll be really happy to see you, being you, on the board.  I've seen you on Pagan boards and you are by far one of the more knowledgable and interesting people on the board.  My highest moments trolling were early NyteShaed on TCC when you backed up my play about Jesus and Mary getting it on.

-Dok Howl

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 07, 2011, 05:25:58 AM
I'd just like to clarify something here:  I am not going to go "help my theory along".  Frankly, I have no interest in stepping on CPD's game.  I am merely making a prediction.

I will, in fact, not be going to the board, because I am not a Pagan as the word is generally used.  Since I have no interest in Paganism - outside of Discordia - and given that Pagans invariably shit on Discordians as the "poor relations", then if I am not there to troll, there really is no reason to go.

CPD aside, I really don't like Pagans.  In fact, I'd say that I dislike them to an extreme degree, based entirely on the Pagans I have met online and IRL.  The fact that I don't show up with a flamethrower and a silly grin can be attributed to CPD being the ONE exception to that dislike.

So, go ahead and give it a shot.  But I'll be here to tell you "I told you so" when you're infracting people for not being "respectful" enough.

I hope to prove you wrong.  However I don't expect you ever to concede, and I hope you will not.  You holding up your dictum, if i ever need reminding that taking a little more power, or pulling out the banstick just this one time is not a good idea, will help things to be further from totalitarian.

I'm not proclaiming that we wont fail, in fact, we probably will.  Most forums do.  But i hope we get a few, or several good eyars before that happens.  And I hope when that happens that I can get CPD and Wyldkat to jump ship with me, or simply to relax with me and start a new, better forum.

Also, Nigel, I'll be really happy to see you, being you, on the board.  I've seen you on Pagan boards and you are by far one of the more knowledgable and interesting people on the board.  My highest moments trolling were early NyteShaed on TCC when you backed up my play about Jesus and Mary getting it on.

Don't worry. I have no problems with jumping ship or setting things on fire or simply walking away when the stupid outweighs the awesome.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 07, 2011, 03:57:56 AM
If you need a respect rule to keep your constituency happy, get a new constituency.

I think if it this were a rational world, things wouldn't need to be spelled out. But one of the problems with most pagans, as you have noticed, is that they like structure and hierarchy. I'd personally like a super streamlined, simple approach but Wyldkat and Babs have a point in that some people need shit actually spelled out.

Most of the idiocy will be a self-correcting problem but for everything else, there's the reminder of our general intent and the actual rules.

Seeing whether this works out or blows up in our faces is the fun part.

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 07, 2011, 05:32:32 AM

Don't worry. I have no problems with jumping ship or setting things on fire or simply walking away when the stupid outweighs the awesome.

I think if it this were a rational world, things wouldn't need to be spelled out. But one of the problems with most pagans, as you have noticed, is that they like structure and hierarchy. I'd personally like a super streamlined, simple approach but Wyldkat and Babs have a point in that some people need shit actually spelled out.

Most of the idiocy will be a self-correcting problem but for everything else, there's the reminder of our general intent and the actual rules.

Why not....try not spelling shit out?

Just a thought. I mean I did used to be one of those people, and I never had problem with a rules lite environment, just like a few others here.

You could just allowed shit to be. It's not like every other pagan forum has started that way with the same results.

Freeky

Quote from: Wyldkat on June 07, 2011, 05:10:30 AM

What she said.

III. Do Not Be a Jackass
A.  Editing your messages to considerably change the content after a message can be assumed to have been read.
D.  Sharing intimate personal details in inappropriate threads; there is an Adult forum for a reason. Use of gratuitous offensive language.
E.  Causing drama simply for the sake of causing drama, be it between people or between boards.
F.  Using an offensive or inappropriate username, custom title, avatar, signature, etc.

How else can we phrase this to give people an idea for the type of atmosphere we are going for and not fall under the issues you all have with it?

I fully agree with A, B and D are all right, but C and E-F is bullshit.  "You can say whatever you want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.  Oh my virgin ears/tender sensibilities!"

If you still don't get it, I give up and you're doomed to failure.

Wyldkat

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on June 07, 2011, 06:03:47 AM
Quote from: Wyldkat on June 07, 2011, 05:10:30 AM

What she said.

III. Do Not Be a Jackass

I fully agree with A, B and D are all right, but C and E-F is bullshit.  "You can say whatever you want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.  Oh my virgin ears/tender sensibilities!"

If you still don't get it, I give up and you're doomed to failure.

I get it, but I'm not sure I agree 100%.  They are guidelines/suggestions to give people an idea of the feel of the forum.  Putting that in there helps express the feel we are looking for.  It's not a "virgin ears" issue, more of a you don't normally cuss like a sailor in church, a college class, a nice restaurant, etc... concept.

It's not like we're going to jump on people for cussing normally or even that we'd jump on someone for cussing a lot.  It's just the feel we are aiming for.

Quote from: Canis latrans securis on June 07, 2011, 05:47:50 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 07, 2011, 05:32:32 AM

Why not....try not spelling shit out?

Just a thought. I mean I did used to be one of those people, and I never had problem with a rules lite environment, just like a few others here.

You could just allowed shit to be. It's not like every other pagan forum has started that way with the same results.

We're trying to find a balance between what the three of us can agree is appropriate. I think we'll get it all figured out in time.

Payne

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 07, 2011, 06:24:34 AM
what the three of us can agree is appropriate. I think we'll get it all figured out in time.

This, here, is what PD is getting at, CPD.

It's not about what the mods find appropriate, especially on a board that is just starting up.

I'm currently working on setting up a forum for my housing co-op, so that we can all thrash out ideas and socialise outside of the formal meetings that we have every month. The one rule that I have for it just now (and only because the legal position hasn't yet been clarified) is to not post anything that could be in breach of the Data Protection Act here in the UK. Eventually, that rule will go too as I figure out exactly where we stand legally.

Everything else is up to the members as they see fit.

Don Coyote

So...you got someone that is turned on by snuff porn, someone who claims to just never have had the intestinal fortitude to speak up and you running a board devoted to pagan religions.....

I mean I won't go out of my way to cause trouble, but I won't pull any of my punches.

BabylonHoruv

I like C, mostly because some people really like that sort of thing.  Also, anyone that starts to put their thing out there as if it is better I am planning to taunt into convert me.  If you can't take attacks on your beliefs, stop saying they are right and someone else is wrong, basically.

I want the convert me section so that I have a space where that is expected, and I fully expect to take a rational beating now and then in there.

E is against the spirit of the forum.  Yeah, it's gonna happen,  it always does, we aren't going to stomp people's heads for it, we're just going to do our best to discourage it and foster a culture that discourages it.

F should include the word extremely.  We do not need to be giving people trouble for vegetables.  We just don't want people being the nigger killer, or god of jizz monkeys, it's an extension of keep it safe for work, not don't piss anyone off with your title or avatar.

Coyote,  I'm looking forward to some punching.

-Dok Howl