News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Something I came across

Started by geekdad, June 10, 2011, 04:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geekdad

No idea where this goes.... so it'll go here. Hope this hasn't been posted before.

"Onwu Ama Dike"
Krewe of Eris, from The Feasts of the Appetites of Eris,
Domino Sound, 026, 2010

LISTEN

Ben Berman, in his Offbeat review of this album, describes the basics of the Krewe of Eris like this, "an annual Mardi Gras marching parade, a swarm of costumed miscreants who meet in the Bywater and meander through the Upper Ninth Ward and the French Quarter." According to Berman, on this particular run, recorded on the streets by Matt Knowles, the aggregation included over 60 people playing various horns, drums and other percussion instruments, all at varying levels of expertise, but equal in their fervent enthusiasm. And with sounds and rhythms like this, spontaneous outbreaks of dancing, if not outright acts of fornication, are bound to follow in their wake.

Matt is the proprietor of Domino Sound Record Shack, a friendly, uncompromisingly retro vinyl shop worthy of your undying support when you come to New Orleans. He released the album of selected KoE tracks on his own in-house label. When I called to ask for his permission to post "Onwu Ama Dike", he informed me that it was the only cover tune on the LP, and, as its sound and title suggest has an African origin, originally appearing on an early 1970s record by the Nigerian outfit, St. Augustine & His Rovers Dance Band. The cultural feedback loops in the Crescent City never cease to amaze me.

Thanks to Matt for the opportunity to share this recent rarity with you. Drop by the store, pick up a copy and browse da bins. There's no website (did I mention retro?); but I do think he compromised a tad and added an air conditioner for when it gets real sticky. . . .

From here: http://homeofthegroove.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html
Making you think you're crazy is a billion dollar industry.
If they could sell sanity in a bottle
They'd be charging for compressed air,
And marketing healthcare.