News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Quotes of the Moment II

Started by Triple Zero, June 13, 2011, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Guru Coyote on March 29, 2012, 09:42:33 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 29, 2012, 09:39:44 PM
Quote from: Cainad on March 29, 2012, 07:27:59 PM
Steampunk music is pretty token and it's quite hard to find anything that actually sounds good.

Because there isn't any.

Dok,
Thinks Abney Park should be sent through a car shredder.

And Coyote has no taste in music. :lulz:

That's because you hate Johnny Cash and love Osama Bin Ladin.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 29, 2012, 09:46:39 PM
Steampunk music is pretty token and it's quite hard to find anything that actually sounds good.

Because there isn't any.

Dok,

I builded shrines to both and summoned their spirits into stoats so as to divine who was the betterest by way of mortal stoat combat.
The Cash-Stoat was torn apart in less than 2 minutes.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Guru Coyote on March 29, 2012, 09:48:11 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 29, 2012, 09:46:39 PM

Because there isn't any.

Dok,

I builded shrines to both and summoned their spirits into stoats so as to divine who was the betterest by way of mortal stoat combat.
The Cash-Stoat was torn apart in less than 2 minutes.

Yeah, but that's because you let the Bin Ladin stoat start with a chainsaw.

Reminds me of a fight I got in, once.  It was as fair as you get.  I had a baseball bat, and he had emphysema.
Molon Lube

navkat

Retro-futurism is a beloved theme of mine and even moreso after I learned that I didn't coin that phrase. There's something delicious about presumptive modernism seen through the lense of nostalgia and something more delicious about what I'm now going to call Recursive Futurist Nostalgia: based on the supposition that "In the future, they'll be so advanced, they'll bring those obsolete designs and make them even more futuristic!" Hunger Games did this.

The concept embodies more than just Steampunk and when someone said Cyberpunk, you hit it on the head. It comes from the same place: looking back fondly at out naive hopes about progress. I'm thinking:
Art Deco > Metropolis > Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
Spacey-looking 1950's Diners, Airstreams, rocketships, the belief we'd all be eating astronaut ice cream by now.
The World's Fair.
late-60s Mod design. Bakelite. Bauhaus.

Cyberpunk is ours: Bladerunner. Johnny Mnemonic. Total Recall. Glittering dystopia.

I love it. I wonder how 12 Monkeys and Repo Men and Minority Report will look to others in 80 years.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: navkat on March 29, 2012, 10:50:09 PM
I love it. I wonder how 12 Monkeys and Repo Men and Minority Report will look to others in 80 years.
12 Monkey's will be considered just one of a long string of predictable movies.
Minority report will be a footnote in a somewhat popular philosophy paper, causing most people to only know it's main memes through the paper.
Repo Men will be completely eclipsed by Repo: The Genetic Opera.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

navkat

Gattica was killer for me because it was a perfect hybrid of 1950s hopeful "space race" cosmonaut thing and our present-day Medical advances/biometrics/you can't game the system because They're keeping track" aesthetics.

LMNO

So, I found myself in a record store last night with Mrs LMNO.  I have a weakness for jazz from the 40's and 50's on vinyl*.  Anyway, who should be behind the counter?  The Smartest Guy in the Record Store.  Hipster glasses, cheap ill-fitting hat, second-hand tweed blazer, some sort of French sneaker that fastens with velcro.  He starts talking to me, and right away I pick up that he's playing the Obscurity Game.  Problem is, I know every group he's referencing.  Finally, the talk turns to new releases.

SGitRS: Yeah, Best Coast and Beach House are releasing their albums on the same day next month.  Highly anticipated.

Me: What I'm really looking forward to is the new three-CD set of unreleased Can tapes in June, from '67-'77.**

SGitRS: [blank look]

Me: You've probably never heard of them.  They were pretty underground. 

Mrs LMNO:  :lulz:

Me: :ECH:

*Old habits die hard.
**I really am looking forward to that.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 30, 2012, 01:19:02 PM
So, I found myself in a record store last night with Mrs LMNO.  I have a weakness for jazz from the 40's and 50's on vinyl*.  Anyway, who should be behind the counter?  The Smartest Guy in the Record Store.  Hipster glasses, cheap ill-fitting hat, second-hand tweed blazer, some sort of French sneaker that fastens with velcro.  He starts talking to me, and right away I pick up that he's playing the Obscurity Game.  Problem is, I know every group he's referencing.  Finally, the talk turns to new releases.

SGitRS: Yeah, Best Coast and Beach House are releasing their albums on the same day next month.  Highly anticipated.

Me: What I'm really looking forward to is the new three-CD set of unreleased Can tapes in June, from '67-'77.**

SGitRS: [blank look]

Me: You've probably never heard of them.  They were pretty underground. 

Mrs LMNO:  :lulz:

Me: :ECH:

*Old habits die hard.
**I really am looking forward to that.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

LMNO

I'm honored, even if I did have to Google that.

Nephew Twiddleton

Heh thats awesome.

Also thanks for that info- you recommended can to me sometime last year.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2012, 07:20:00 PM
shordurpersav.

Shit, now i'm re-evaluating several situations where i  regretted having lost contact with someone.
Transience can be good, repeat untill i believe it.

Also, cool! new word!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Nephew Twiddleton

Via text:

Pickles: Can you watch [Pickleson] for an hour?
Me: That would be kinda creepy, no? I think it would scare him if he woke up and found me standing there watching him.
Pickles: So that's a yes, then.
Me: I will be awake and available for any assistance he may require.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

"You could argue that money is more important for men.  I think a guy in their first job, maybe because they expect to be a breadwinner someday, may be a little more money-conscious. To attribute everything to a so-called bias in the workplace is just not true."
- Glenn Grothman (R-WI, state rep)
Molon Lube

LMNO