News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Quotes of the Moment II

Started by Triple Zero, June 13, 2011, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Nigel on December 18, 2011, 11:51:10 PM
I must take a moment to point out that strawberries will make milk distinctly strawberry-flavored and turn it bright pink, and that also for some mysterious reason ultra-pasteurization is not considered an "artificial preservative" and will make milk keep for a month. Which frankly creeps me out.

My dad used to grow strawberries on his farm which were a variety with an intense flavor, specifically for the jam and flavorings industry. Best strawberries ever, but you can't buy them in the supermarket because they're small, spoil easily and don't transport well.

All true.  However, I checked on the side, and they use some kind of beetroot extract for the colouring, and there were more E numbers than the East Central postcode in the drink.

Suu

Quote from: BadBeast on December 19, 2011, 12:17:28 AM
It's cheaper for Tesco to import irradiated Mexican Strawberries, at the height of our own strawberry growing season, than it is to get British Strawberries 20 miles from the field to the shelf.

Our poor Strawberry farmers then have to fill out the ever growing pile of EU Subsidy claim forms, where they get paid for not growing certain (randomly picked, by Neil Kinnock) crops, eg; If he grows Strawberries this year, he can claim an EU Subsidy for not growing. . . . . . . sustainable tropical hardwood, or Sargasso kelp. Then they moan on local radio about how they can hardly afford to buy a new combine harvester this year, to harvest all the crops they haven't grown!

That's kinda bullshit. I have to admit that in the US, at least in RI and FL, we're really big on eating our local crops first before importing goods.

Florida Strawberries are February, Rhode Island are June, and local strawberry season is THE BEST. I purposely try not to purchase groceries that aren't locally produced, unless I, you know, want strawberries in November. Then I know they're coming from California or something. But still..
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Juana

Nope. Our strawberry season runs from April or so until June. Them's Mexican strawberries, I believe. I would much, much sooner wait for strawberries locally grown than eat Mexican strawberries (Mexico uses pesticides even we won't use here in the US, and believe you me, that's saying something, because our standards are so very low. Also, locally grown berries are far superior in taste, but we also buy them fresh off the plants from local farmers).
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

I wouldn't eat strawberries locally grown in London for reasons I'm sure I don't have to explain.

Juana

Yeah, no explanation needed. I live in a ruralish area and the place we like best is two or three miles up the street from us.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

BadBeast

Quote from: Suu on December 20, 2011, 05:58:00 PM
Yesterday's final:

"Essay Question #3: The "Syllabus Police" is bringing your history professor to a hearing questioning why she put "Frankenstein" on the course list. While preparing for her defense, she faints under pressure, now it's up to you, the student, to prepare and give a passable defense as to why the book should stay in the curriculum."

Me:

"To the assembled masses of the Syllabus Police and the students, Romans, and faculty herein. Allow me to give you my defense as to why "Frankenstein" should be read as part of the course curriculum for HIS310....

blah

blah

blah

...And that's why we should be allowed to read Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" in this course.

Thank you."

*Applause!*

Yep. I even wrote the applause.

Give me my A, please.
We have created a Monster!  :mittens:
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Luna

I really miss the wild strawberries we got in our back yard when I was a kid.  They were tiny, but soo sweet...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

<MomLalonde>My parrot is angrily walking around her cage screaming "WHAT DO YOU WANT?!" "GET OUT OF HERE!!"
<MomLalonde>Or was
<MomLalonde>Now she is happily saying "Kisses?"
<MomLalonde>And now she is violently assaulting toys while screeching in between saying "Come here, Toby. Come here."
<KingSphinx>Maybe you should get a priest?
<Kaliayev>parrots are always like that
<Kaliayev>if a demon possessed a parrot, it's behaviour would likely improve
<Kaliayev>parrots are the reason pirate captains usually only have one leg, a hook for a hand and a missing eye

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on December 20, 2011, 06:00:52 PM
I must take a moment to point out that strawberries will make milk distinctly strawberry-flavored and turn it bright pink, and that also for some mysterious reason ultra-pasteurization is not considered an "artificial preservative" and will make milk keep for a month. Which frankly creeps me out.

My dad used to grow strawberries on his farm which were a variety with an intense flavor, specifically for the jam and flavorings industry. Best strawberries ever, but you can't buy them in the supermarket because they're small, spoil easily and don't transport well.

All true.  However, I checked on the side, and they use some kind of beetroot extract for the colouring, and there were more E numbers than the East Central postcode in the drink.

yeah, they usually use beetroot for pink coloring here too. What's an E number?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

Supermarket strawberries are usually ginormous woody things with anemic hearts and an insipid taste.  :sad:

I agree, woodland strawberries are amazing! I once had a pot of teeny tiny alpine strawberries growing, and they were the most divine things ever! Crimson red, meltingly soft, with a concentrated berry flavor. I want to have a whole patch of them some day.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Nast

And the best thing about growing strawberries is that even though the parent plant will reduce its yield over the years, it propagates by new plants attached to runners so that you can have an ever-growing supply.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

BadBeast

The last Wild Strawberry I found, was halfway up a Welsh Mountain, at about 3.30 am November 6th, 2004. We were walking up the back way to see the World Touring Class Rally stage, and came straight from an awesome Firework night party. The lane we were walking up had steep banks either side, and I saw what must have been the latest strawberry ever, only the size of my fingernail, so I picked it and ate it. Words cannot describe the magnitude of the sweet strawberry flavour that almost exploded my head off. It spoiled me for all other strawberries. Some guy in a Subaru Imprezu (Or was it a Mitsubishi?) won the Rally stage, but it will be the strawberry I shall always remember about that night.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

When I was a kid on Lopez Island, wild strawberries were everywhere. It was kind of a magical place to be a kid, really.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Nigel on December 21, 2011, 02:45:01 AM

All true.  However, I checked on the side, and they use some kind of beetroot extract for the colouring, and there were more E numbers than the East Central postcode in the drink.

Artificial additives.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on December 21, 2011, 10:14:01 AM
Quote from: Nigel on December 21, 2011, 02:45:01 AM

All true.  However, I checked on the side, and they use some kind of beetroot extract for the colouring, and there were more E numbers than the East Central postcode in the drink.

Artificial additives.

:lulz: Are any of them technically flavoring, coloring, or preservatives? I bet they're technically not. Weaselly bastards! :lulz: