News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

Quotes of the Moment II

Started by Triple Zero, June 13, 2011, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Guru Qu1x073 on September 19, 2012, 10:12:49 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 19, 2012, 07:12:41 PM
R.V. Jones, the man more or less in charge of British scientific intelligence during WWII, describes how acclimatization to small changes can be made to work for one's benefit, via the story of American physicist R.W. Wood:

QuoteWood at one stage in his early career worked in Paris and lived in a block of flats. He observed that the lady in the flat below kept a small tortoise in a window box. He secured a supply of tortoises of various sizes and by means of a grappling device ... fished out the original tortoise and replaced it by one that was slightly larger. Over the course of a week or so, by successive small increases of size of tortoise, the lady was convinced that her pet was growing at an astonishing rate.... Wood ... suggested that the lady might write to a newspaper about it. This she did.... Wood reversed his nightly procedure, and to everyone's astonishment the tortoise gradually shrank to its original size.

This sounds like the plot of a Roald Dahl book.

Pretty much all of British scientific intelligence were avid pranksters of some kind or another.  Which worked out well, since while in theory they were meant to be developing defences against secret German superweapons, what they actually did for most of the war was troll Germans with disinformation about their own superweapons, use German tracking beams to launch precision strikes against Germany's own military installations, or invent simple yet highly annoying methods like Window (the first chaff system), which baffled German engineers to the point that Goering himself was making fun of the Lufwaffe's incompetence.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Guru Qu1x073 on September 19, 2012, 10:12:49 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 19, 2012, 07:12:41 PM
R.V. Jones, the man more or less in charge of British scientific intelligence during WWII, describes how acclimatization to small changes can be made to work for one's benefit, via the story of American physicist R.W. Wood:

QuoteWood at one stage in his early career worked in Paris and lived in a block of flats. He observed that the lady in the flat below kept a small tortoise in a window box. He secured a supply of tortoises of various sizes and by means of a grappling device ... fished out the original tortoise and replaced it by one that was slightly larger. Over the course of a week or so, by successive small increases of size of tortoise, the lady was convinced that her pet was growing at an astonishing rate.... Wood ... suggested that the lady might write to a newspaper about it. This she did.... Wood reversed his nightly procedure, and to everyone's astonishment the tortoise gradually shrank to its original size.

This sounds like the plot of a Roald Dahl book.

I'm pretty certain that this story actually was the inspiration for Esio Trot, which has a near identical plot.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Me: "So it sounds like Jesus had a wife and a female disciple."
Mom: "I bet she gave great blowjobs."
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

"A man wears a mustache because there's something he wants to conceal, a spiritual defect."

- Ayn Rand

Suu

Quote from: Net on September 20, 2012, 08:31:31 AM
Me: "So it sounds like Jesus had a wife and a female disciple."
Mom: "I bet she gave great blowjobs."

Coolest. Mom. Ever.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

tyrannosaurus vex

At work:
Manager: Are you staying late tonight? When are you leaving?
Female Employee: Uh, like 5:30. I'm getting my eyebrows threaded at 5:45.
Mgr: Okay I'll leave the -- wait, what? You get your eyebrows threaded?
F.E.: Yeah, is that OK?
Mgr: Yeah, I guess. So..
F.E.: What?
Mgr: So, those aren't your real eyebrows?
Everybody: <laugh>
F.E.: Yes, what are you...?
Mgr: I thought threading was when they sewed bushier eyebrows on.
F.E.: <steam>
Everybody: <AAAHAHAHAHAHA>
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Juana

Quote from: Cain on September 20, 2012, 02:55:45 PM
"A man wears a mustache because there's something he wants to conceal, a spiritual defect."

- Ayn Rand
:lulz:
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

"Something really cool and hilarious that I thought I should share."
- Fidel Castro
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Phox

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 22, 2012, 03:48:18 AM
- Fidel Castro
Lulz emote and/or witty rejoinder.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor D. Jennifer Phox on September 22, 2012, 03:49:39 AM
Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 22, 2012, 03:48:18 AM
- Fidel Castro
Lulz emote and/or witty rejoinder.
Angry response and red baboon ass display.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Me and Phox, via gchat:

Twid:  I also unfortunately am at least part way convinced we are the most advanced technological species in this part of the galaxy, if not the whole thing.
Phox:  well, it's a damn shame but...
T:  Not the only intelligent species, just the most advanced.
P:  oh, sure.
speaking of which, thanks...
now I'm going to add Spore to the list of games I'm going to reinstall and play again. (joining two you will approve ove of, Rome: total War and Star Trek Online).
T:  Theoretically I approve. I try to avoid computer games. I haven't played that many.
It's like one of those heretics that shun TV. It's incomprehensible but they have their reasons, I'm sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T_R40Zb--U
P:  hehe
T:  I remembered the song at work but not how it went, and I was like, shit. Gotta youtube it later.
P:  yeah.
T:  But seriously, seeing how I react to Civ, computer games, especially any that involve strategy, are really horrible ideas for me to play.
P:  haha, why's that?
T:  Unless I feel like being one of those dead Korean nerds who don't eat or piss.
P:  HA.
well, yeah, it's good to have self-control.
I think you would like RTW though.
T:  When I play Civ, I ignore all biological impetus.
Oh I would probably love it.
I would also probably love cocaine.
P:  this is true.
cost-benefit analysis, you know. :lulz:
T:  Yep
That's gotta go in quotes of the moment
That whole thing
Sent at 10:45 PM on Friday

Nephew Twiddleton

Well, if you find it boring, I can delete it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Nephew Twiddleton