News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Quotes of the Moment II

Started by Triple Zero, June 13, 2011, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Cramulus

from a news article - but posted without context

Quote"We can't get a budget passed that doesn't cut health care during a pandemic," another legislator told me bitterly, "and everyone's talking about his fucking nipples."

Cramulus

Quotemom can you come pick me up? there's a wh!te boy who thinks pissing people off is a cool & interesting personality trait

[s]

Cramulus

Joe Rogan is the Alex Jones of Sam Harris.

[s]

Cramulus

"In a universe that defies description, all systems of belief can only be false."

-Austin Osman Spare

this quote is on my mind this morning, as I read a post from friend who is a red-state health care professional saying that we should make up our own minds about whether masks are effective.

She points out that the CDC doesn't agree with the WHO (the CDC says masks help slow the spread, the WHO says that masks may help but not much). Regardless of that, is the message that we random people, with no medical training, should regard the CDC's advice as untrustworthy?

The WHO was right when its director said that we should avoid politicizing the disease or our response to it. Once it was political, truth (little-T) became a function of power.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Cramulus on May 28, 2020, 04:26:12 PM
"In a universe that defies description, all systems of belief can only be false."

-Austin Osman Spare

When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.

-Isaac Asimov
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cramulus

that line is taken out of context, we need to know what led to the boot stomping on the human face, forever

Cain

Have you considered the compromise position, of a boot stamping on half of humanity's faces, for forever?

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on June 01, 2020, 10:12:03 PM
Have you considered the compromise position, of a boot stamping on half of humanity's faces, for forever?

Also known as the "status quo", I believe.

Cramulus

as the days blur together into a monotonous paste, I think about these words:

"Today is what it is because yesterday was what it was. So too, if you want tomorrow to be different, you must make today different."   -Gurdjieff

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on June 02, 2020, 12:47:18 PM
Quote from: Cain on June 01, 2020, 10:12:03 PM

Also known as the "status quo", I believe.

Ho ho ho!  It can and will get a lot worse than this.  If Trump is ousted, we might get 8 years before the authoritarians run the show entirely.

If he is reelected, this is as good as it will ever get.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

US troops parachuting into a small village

VILLAGER: Fuck all of you
SOLDIER 1: (voice drowned out by machine gun fire) Woah woah woah, yes there may be some bad apples here, but don't paint us all with the same brush.
SOLDIER 2: You should really focus on the economic issues underlying our invasion.
SOLDIER 3: Give us a break, it's a hard job and our morale is at an all time low.
SOLDIER 4: funny how you have no objections when you kill each other, but when we do it? sheesh

minuspace

QuoteYou can't pursue equality and grovel at the same time.
- Eric Weinstein

Cramulus

"Kanye West could shoot Trump in the middle of Fifth Avenue and I'd still vote for Joe Biden."

-some guy on fb

chaotic neutral observer

As the work-from-home meeting starts, co-worker B is experiencing problems with his microphone.

Co-worker C: "if it helps, it sounds like a chipmunk attempting to modulate its voice using a swarm of bees"
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.