News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

God damn document control fail

Started by Disco Pickle, June 17, 2011, 06:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

(This is not a content rant, just wanted to vent a little, feel free to ignore it completely)

How fucking long has this company been in business?  1981?  There's a fucking drawing repository for a very good reason and my boss refuses to use it.  The end result is they're wiring and programming equipment outside with what SHOULD be the most current revision of the drafts, but on closer inspection there's all sorts of shit that's wrong with them.  The drafts get dumped on me and I'm told to update them and when I, out of curiosity, pull down the previous revision for a quick comparison, I find shit that was corrected on it but is now wrong again on the current revision.

Now I'll be stuck here all god damn weekend comparing the two drawing sets, hoofing it out to the shop every 30 to trace wires and verify where they're terminated in 5 god damn sections of switchgear.

:madbanana:

I don't care what the damn emote tag says, that's a very mad pickle, in need of a bottle of Scotch.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Doktor Howl

We have the opposite problem.  EVERYTHING is a control document, and we're religious about it.

So if we change a procedure, we have to change about 60 documents.

We change one procedure or another twice a week.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 17, 2011, 06:48:46 PM
We have the opposite problem.  EVERYTHING is a control document, and we're religious about it.

Interestingly, you and Mrs LMNO would have a hell of a lot to talk about.  She deals with the same thing, in Pharmeceuticals.  The FDA is picky like that.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 17, 2011, 06:48:46 PM

sounds like you guys are an ISO shop.

I fucking hate ISO.  We're not, but maybe if we were, shit like this wouldn't happen.

I don't even have a problem correcting 60 pages worth of drafts 3 or 4 times until they're correct, just so long as I'm working with the most recent version and don't have to trace wires from terminal block to terminal block throughout the entire damn system and drawing set just to be sure nothing was missed.  I might as well just redraw the fucking things from scratch.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann