News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

RWHN's flounce is kind of like a Matthew Sweet song....

Started by AFK, July 09, 2011, 08:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

I'm thinking particularly of "Girlfriend" and "Sick of Myself" that have all of those false endings.....

I felt compelled to write what I'm about to write before I really for real go away for awhile. 

The last thing I want to come from this is for any kind of bad blood or acrimony to develop between this place and the sister site.  I appreciate Jenne and CB's kind sentiment and support but don't hold that against them. 

I think a couple of people have said or guessed that there is more to my departure than meets the eye.  And that would be correct, but I really don't need to go into a laundry list of items.  Basically, what it boils down to is I'm not sure my piece of the puzzle fits anymore. 

I will make no secret that there are personalities on this board with which I've just never really clicked.   You can't get along with everyone.  There are people in my office and in my field with whom I just don't click.  But it is necessary to coexist to get the job done.  I know we all have had, or are having those experiences IRL as well.  So I don't pretend I'm in any kind of special circumstance there.  I've done my best to co-exist with those here with whom I just don't click.  And it's been manageable for most of my time on these boards.  I guess I've just hit a point where the challenge of co-existing has become more than I'm willing to entertain.  Selfishly, for my own sake, but also for the sake of the board.  (I know, doesn't that sound all pretentious and everything?  What a fucking spag I am!  :D

The reality is certain personalities are held in high regard here as has been exemplified in the thread where I announced my departure.  And I have no quarrel with that.  It's the current board dynamic, it is what it is.  But it is also a personality with whom I did have a substantial quarrel in the thread of notoriety.  And it was a quarrel that I was uncomfortable with because it felt that I was being portrayed and represented in a manner that didn't have fidelity to the true nature of the discussion.  And so when I read the OP in the stickied thread, saw who was set as a high standard example, I felt this put me in a position that put me at a severe disadvantage.  In the respect that if a new user read that piece, saw that the rest of the board was at odds with my opinion, including the exemplar, then I would automatically be labled a dip-shit who is set in his ways and isn't considering substance and evidence.  And since, yes, this IS a cause I believe in, I have to step away.  It just doesn't feel like those discussions are going to be healthy anymore and just contributes to an overall sense that it's a time that I don't fit as a member of the group. 

And I feel no shame nor regret in feeling passionate about that cause.  I feel no shame being a Discordian who is trying to reach to people and convince them to look beyond a narrow path that leads many to self-destruction and traps.  I feel no shame in wanting to help people pick out some of that Shrapnel that has put them where they are, and look at the paths that will allow them to be better armed with themselves.  Remember when we wrote the BIP?  Remember how so many of us hit on this theme with the TeeVee and how it was making people complacent and avoiding all of that which is fucking up the world?  Swap drugs for TeeVee.

THAT is why I'm doing what I'm doing. 

So, I felt like I just needed to set that record straight, and I again implore that this episode is not held against our sister site.  I appreciate my friends lending their supportive words, but what I'm doing is on me and no one else.  The time I've had here has been overall very outstanding.   I'd say it's been 99% win! 

I think imma gonna go do some internet safari.  It's time for some other corners of the web feel some pun-wrath!

Peas out!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

AFK

Oh, yeah, and you should really split out all of that stuff in the stickied thread.  I really don't want my blatherings and related fallout to mess it up anymore.

I'm sorry it got derailed.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Eater of Clowns

I hope this is short lived, RWHN, because I've always enjoyed the perspective you're able to bring to this board.

I'd like to mention that I don't agree with leaving for the reason you are.  But hey, sometimes people I'm cool with just come to very different conclusions.

Best of luck.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course, an alternative would be to quit bumping that retarded fucking thread so that it would sink.

But this method allows for more finger-pointing and butthurt.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Not sure what the thread in question is but i can take a guess. But i hope also that this is short lived cuz i like you. And villager likes you too (shes also a punster much to my groaning).
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 09, 2011, 11:35:55 PM
I hope this is short lived, RWHN, because I've always enjoyed the perspective you're able to bring to this board.

I'd like to mention that I don't agree with leaving for the reason you are.  But hey, sometimes people I'm cool with just come to very different conclusions.

Best of luck.

Pretty much all of this.

Cya around, RWHN!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Disagreements beat the hell out of "everybody be nicey-nice and STFU".  :?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Jenne

...you did the same for me, once upon a time.  And you're very welcome, Dude.  Take care.

LMNO

Cramulus

Ciao RWHN

as somebody who recently took a break from this place, I can totally sympathize. This is a very tangled, often frustrating community. I have already accomplished a bunch of my goals, and past that, I felt like I was wasting my time in certain ways, so I pulled a bunch of my chips off the table. And honestly, it was a good change.

But then some political shit went down and I really wanted to hear Cain's perspective on it. So I started lurking again. And I do feel like this board keeps me more in touch with current events and awesome links than anywhere else - you spags have exactly my sense of humor and find the same stuff relevant / interesting as I do.

So I'm back, and for the moment I'm not interested in starting book projects or giant pranks or anything like that... that distance and divestment has allowed me to learn to appreciate this place again. Pulling back helped me to cope with the drama and pressures of this place. So I think you're probably making a good move. And I'll be happy to see you again when you come back.

Your buddy CRAM

Faust

Don't stay gone long,
Drama is always draining, but as you know yourself there is a lot more to this place then that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Elder Iptuous