News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Stagflation

Started by Cain, June 19, 2011, 06:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Why has this word not been heard on the financial news once since 2009?  I mean, apart from Tabbi's Law* and the idea of journalists doing their work being laughable on the face of it.  We have high-ish rates of inflation.  We have little to no serious economic growth, certainly nowhere near what is being seen in the price rise of commodities and energy.  It's a perfect description of our immediate economic predicament and I don't think I've heard it mentioned once anywhere, by anyone.

* Taibbi's Law:

Journos are pussies
Only attack when it's safe
Lay off entrenched pols

Jenne

True, I haven't been hearing it a lot latey--I think they mentionied it on MarketPlace on NPR, but someone might have been talking their way OUT of it, not proposing we're caught in the grips of it.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Naw haw, the price of luxury goods is falling, therefore there's no inflation.
           \

/
Falling prices of real estate and luxury goods totally makes up for rising food and energy costs.  SRSLY.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Durivan

The media is currently too caught up in the deficit hysteria, which pretty much all of the behind the scene people in Washington are pushing.  Talking about how there is either stagflation and/or giant bubbles in commodities is contrary to the "official view" that the economy is on the way to recovery.

Disco Pickle

The same reason no one was allowed to say anything about the dollar in 07 unless it came from the treasury, and they weren't saying shit.  That somehow, by ignoring the reality, it will just go away.  The reason I suspect they REALLY stopped publishing the M3, because it would scare the shit out of anyone still holding or thinking of buying Treasury bonds.

Long, annoyingly voiced cartoon explaining QE.  Probably not interesting unless you geek on things like this, but I found it quite humorous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY16CkS-k
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Idem

Quote from: Disco Pickle on June 20, 2011, 12:34:55 PM
That somehow, by ignoring the reality, it will just go away.
Welcome to the 21st century.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Idem on June 21, 2011, 04:08:26 AM

Please to be showing where this has not always been the case throughout history?

Unless it's knocking on YOUR door, or anyone you know, it's ignorable and will just go away eventually.

Admittedly, I'm swimming in my pessimistic personality for a bit ITT.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Jenne

Quote from: Idem on June 21, 2011, 04:08:26 AM

IDEM!  :D