News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Hey Windows-savvy people

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, June 21, 2011, 02:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have to buy a new shipping computer. I'm going to try to spend less than $400. Any recommendations/advice?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Your Mom on June 21, 2011, 02:07:07 AM
I have to buy a new shipping computer. I'm going to try to spend less than $400. Any recommendations/advice?

Cheap netbook ought to do it.

I mean, you can do all your printing using a USB port, right?
Molon Lube

Sir Squid Diddimus

Hell I don't even need a usb port on mine.

It's just magically hooked up to my printer via the sky fairies magic air space router god doo dad.

these little netbooks are great for... stuff

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on June 21, 2011, 04:47:27 AM

It's just magically hooked up to my printer via the sky fairies magic air space router god doo dad.

She's in Portland.  Wireless doesn't work there.
Molon Lube

Cain

A Toshiba or Samsung Netbook with Windows 7 should be in your price range.  Both of those brands are, in my experience, robust enough that I've never needed to find out if their technical support is any good or not.

Rumckle

I had to get the motherboard on my old toshiba replaced, they were pretty good about it, though they did forget to plug my wireless card back in. Then the same thing broke about a year later
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Cain

Ah, that sucks.

My Toshiba, which I'm typing on currently, is built like a brick, and as durable as one, and I've tended to hear good things from others about them. My two housemates both have Samsung netbooks with Windows 7, which seem to work just fine (and have for well over a year now) and my gaming laptop is a Samsung as well, and I'm impressed with it.

I would also suggest steering away from HP Compaq, as their design is not very strong.  My first laptop was a Compaq and the hinges started to go on it after two years, meaning I needed to hold up the screen with one hand while typing.  Much less than ideal.

Telarus

Agreed. Figuring out which coded Model #'s in HP's laptop range are the good ones (won't over-heat, haven't been part of a parts re-call, etc, etc) is freaking difficult (I worked for them for 4 months as a tech, remember?)... I'd def avoid that right now. Desktop selection in HP is better, but not applicable.

What software would you be mostly running on it?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

Yeah, and if a tech-guy can't tell you which models are the good ones, the chances are there aren't any.

East Coast Hustle

I've been using the same Toshiba laptop since 2007 and it just died on me about a month ago after a 4 year span of having the ever-loving shit constantly abused out of it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 21, 2011, 04:50:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on June 21, 2011, 04:47:27 AM

She's in Portland.  Wireless doesn't work there.

True story, and I don't even know why.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 21, 2011, 02:08:24 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on June 21, 2011, 02:07:07 AM

Cheap netbook ought to do it.

I mean, you can do all your printing using a USB port, right?

As long as it can run Photoshop, yes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wasn't planning on getting a notebook, because I have a pretty nice monitor and keyboard, and the shipping computer has no need of being mobile.

Triple Zero

if you already got the monitor etc, you should probably be able to get a decent desktop machine for that price as well. it'll even be slightly more powerful (which is nice if you're running Photoshop).

except I can't really give more advice than just that. not very windows-savvy anymore, and I've never really been very computer hardware savvy at all ever, let alone familiar with the market in the USA.

I hear newegg is a good website for getting computar electronics in the USA? (but then, probably get a second opinion on that because really I have no experience with it)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was hoping that might still be the case.

At this point, I am unaware of even the most basic things, like what kind of processors and how much RAM I should look for as a minimum. Kinda starting from scratch.