News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

HBO thinks "A Game of Thrones" means they can reliably do Gaimen's American Gods

Started by Disco Pickle, June 21, 2011, 02:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slyph

You're right, what made me say American Gods?

That was the one with "Shadow" and "Low-Key" wasn't it? ughhhghgh... *vom*

I only read it through because I really like House on the Rock. I've been, it's super.

Faust

His Hellblazer is awful, as are a lot of his comic works but the sandman was excellent. I didn't think much of American gods so I'm not too emotionally invested in the series.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Slyph

Sandman had something, accidental genius perhaps.

Did you ever read Lucifer though? Carey picked up that ball and Forest Gumped that motherfucker.

LMNO

Is there really a Gaiman backlash happening here?  Weird.  That man is a brilliant storyteller.

I would also suggest HBO should break American Gods into 7 episodes, one for each day of the week.  Symbolic, no?

Faust

Quote from: Slyph on June 21, 2011, 10:58:51 AM

Did you ever read Lucifer though? Carey picked up that ball and Forest Gumped that motherfucker.

The first couple of volumes are really wishy washy but it picks up a lot after that. Its not my favorite series but its pretty good.

Is there really a Gaiman backlash happening here?  Weird.  That man is a brilliant storyteller.

I would also suggest HBO should break American Gods into 7 episodes, one for each day of the week.  Symbolic, no?

I think Gaiman has really good ideas but often gets caught up in them turning them into sensationalist fantasy, where other writers like Moore are meticulous and purposeful.
The sandman remains one of my favorite series but apart from that Gaiman has consistently let me down.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Slyph

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on June 21, 2011, 04:14:53 PM

I've been saying Gaiman can't write convincing dialogue for years. He probably knows I said it, due to a perculiar quirk of Google.

LMNO

I was unaware he was trying to.  He usually writes in the style and language of myth, fable, dream, magic, and poetry; and his dialogue reflects that.

Slyph

HG: MMM, There's quite a few of us round here. It was okay in the summer, but I hate the cold

JC: Yeah?

HG: Yes. And drunk yuppies, Couple of them worked me over the other night

JC: I'm sorry

HG: Me too.

Succulent Plant

Until I clicked this thread, I assumed when I saw the "Game of Thrones" thread popping up here that it was some sort of role playing game.  :lol:

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion...

Luna

Quote from: Faust on June 21, 2011, 04:20:47 PM
Quote from: Slyph on June 21, 2011, 10:58:51 AM

The first couple of volumes are really wishy washy but it picks up a lot after that. Its not my favorite series but its pretty good.

I think Gaiman has really good ideas but often gets caught up in them turning them into sensationalist fantasy, where other writers like Moore are meticulous and purposeful.
The sandman remains one of my favorite series but apart from that Gaiman has consistently let me down.

Both Stardust and Neverwhere blew my mind.  (Stardust, possibly, because my first exposure was a reading that Gaiman did in New York City...  I am a sucker for some accents...)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

FWIW, I loved reading American Gods. The audiobook is pretty good as well, I have it on my mp3 player for listening when it's dark and I'm in a train or bus or something and can't read. Takes forever to get through it that way, but that's okay :)

I find I prefer listening to audiobooks that I already read at least once, anyway. Too easy to get distracted and miss a bit.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

Interesting stuff. I dug his recent Dr Who episode.

I wonder if this will end up showing the "Eostre" scene. Gods, when I found out that Eostre was pretty much made up whole cloth it made me realize that he fell for that Meme too. I still consider that scene a run-in with Enyo the Devourer.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Luna

Quote from: Telarus on July 06, 2011, 04:08:38 AM
Interesting stuff. I dug his recent Dr Who episode.

I had geeksquee over that one.  It was pathetic, I swear.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Gordon C

Quote from: Succulent Plant on June 21, 2011, 09:06:55 PM
Until I clicked this thread, I assumed when I saw the "Game of Thrones" thread popping up here that it was some sort of role playing game.  :lol:

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion...

Yeah welcome to the club. I checked it out on HBO's site. The first episode ends with some guy killing a kid because he walked in on him cheating with some hooker (nice). then he's all like "what I wouldn't do for love"  :rimshot:
"the invisible boogie man could never be more ever-present"

leln

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 25, 2011, 10:05:23 PM
FWIW, I loved reading American Gods. The audiobook is pretty good as well, I have it on my mp3 player for listening when it's dark and I'm in a train or bus or something and can't read. Takes forever to get through it that way, but that's okay :)

I find I prefer listening to audiobooks that I already read at least once, anyway. Too easy to get distracted and miss a bit.

Poke around on librivox.org, it's the audiobook version of Project Gutenberg. It can be a challenge to find readers you don't want to strangle for less popular works, but some of it's surprisingly good.

And for the sake of actually being on topic, I'll be interested to see how they handle all the little story fragments in American Gods. That was a book I really enjoyed rereading just because I could appreciate how the odd bits and little details weave together later on.
[initially a "Rabid Wombat of the Eastern Intertubes." Now the] Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Wombat of Wrath and Righteous Retribution.

"If you speak out of turn again, I will unscrew your neckpipe and use the resulting hole for my lavatory.  And I have one fuck of a case of the squirts today."