News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Five [5] Things that Satanists could learn from Discordians

Started by Cramulus, June 21, 2011, 03:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 22, 2011, 01:59:59 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 22, 2011, 01:26:53 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on June 21, 2011, 03:17:52 PM
from http://www.satanicinternationalnetwork.com/blogs/post/1554

*The care and keeping of mythology is our responsibility. In the good ole' days, stone idols were dressed and made up continuously, as the ancients understood that devotion literally fed their gods, who would wither and die without it. The story of the Great Snub need not compete with the Illiad.

Is he saying that Satanists should look to Discordians for tips on keeping a mythology together?  Maybe the first priest to dress up an idol in gaudy crap was taking fashion and financial advice from one.

"Oh, no nonono! The Big Owl wants a red SILK shawl today. I happen to have the very finest, but just barely enough and I just hate to part with it, but if you insist. For the Owl!"

I doubt it got all traditional until after said Discordian's caravan was long gone.

I almost stopped hating you when you posted that.

Cut it out.

:spittake:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Telarus

Hmm, interesting.

:Edit: Damnit, after reading those insipid comments I'm very tempted to register....

Cram, I'm interested in this Googlefeed you have... anything else pop up recently?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

Quote from: Richter on June 21, 2011, 11:59:40 PM
From reading through some of LaVey's stuff on Satanism, interviews, and documentaries, I'm pretty certain he was describing about the same thing that Discodian / Subgenius tries to work towards, just in more sensationalist wrapping.

I'd like to think that was true, but from what I've read, it appears to be some kind of attempt to install parody humour into Objectivism.  LaVey was very taken with Rand, as I recall.  Of course, so was Thornely, but he grew out of it.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 22, 2011, 02:46:43 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 22, 2011, 01:59:59 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 22, 2011, 01:26:53 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on June 21, 2011, 03:17:52 PM
from http://www.satanicinternationalnetwork.com/blogs/post/1554

*The care and keeping of mythology is our responsibility. In the good ole' days, stone idols were dressed and made up continuously, as the ancients understood that devotion literally fed their gods, who would wither and die without it. The story of the Great Snub need not compete with the Illiad.

Is he saying that Satanists should look to Discordians for tips on keeping a mythology together?  Maybe the first priest to dress up an idol in gaudy crap was taking fashion and financial advice from one.

"Oh, no nonono! The Big Owl wants a red SILK shawl today. I happen to have the very finest, but just barely enough and I just hate to part with it, but if you insist. For the Owl!"

I doubt it got all traditional until after said Discordian's caravan was long gone.

I almost stopped hating you when you posted that.

Cut it out.

:spittake:

Sorry, it just happpened like that.  I'll get back to being a noob any minute now.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cramulus

Quote from: Telarus on June 22, 2011, 05:29:30 AM
Cram, I'm interested in this Googlefeed you have... anything else pop up recently?

I have google alerts set up for "Discordian Society" (90% of the posts are about the band)
"Principia Discordia" (mostly just links to the book)
"and Discordianism "(usually garbage)

but if you dig through it, there are some real gems

If you guys are posting about Discordia on another forum, I often see it. Like right now I see RWHN on a political debate site, with a link here in his sig.

Sometimes I find these little cabals of Discordians that I don't feel like I should link to here because we wouldn't get along anyway

Often, I find bloggers who write about Discord. Here's a guy who posts sermons now and then. http://ignatius-m.tumblr.com/

Apparently there's a "Discordian Trio" in Edinburgh http://www.edinburghjazzfestival.com/2011-programme/artists/haftor-medboe-group-the-discordian-trio.html

I usually see an update when Discordapedia ( http://discordia.wikia.com/wiki/Discordipedia ) gets updated

Here's a video of a Discordian lesbian marriage http://wn.com/Discordian_wedding,_wifey_wifey

Telarus

Oh, I have content I wanted to throw up on discordapedia, thanks for the reminder.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Laughin Jude

"The Satanic Bible" can get a little Rand-ish at times, but it's still a far cry from Objectivism, and there's a deal of self-awareness and open mockery of organized religion. I wouldn't say it's required reading, but it's interesting, and while I do think LaVey was serious about his underlying message, I never got the impression he literally believed in Satan/etc. (actually if memory serves the guy was an atheist).

While I'm no Satanist and don't agree with everything LaVey wrote, I do suggest giving "The Satanic Witch" a read. It's presented as a guide for women on how to seduce men using psychology/pheremones/etc., but it's full of interesting ideas about how the mind works and how you can take advantage of that knowledge (which is where LaVey's concept of "magick" comes in--it's more applied psychology and a little natural chemistry than mystic crap, though there is some of that in other places that you can feel free to ignore). "TSW" was pretty damn helpful in writing my Betsy Rothschild character...
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

East Coast Hustle

I love it when people try to explain what "so-and-so" actually means when they talk about "magick".

Because, obviously, so-and-so couldn't have figured out how to phrase it like that themselves.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cramulus on June 22, 2011, 02:35:19 PM
Here's a video of a Discordian lesbian marriage http://wn.com/Discordian_wedding,_wifey_wifey

LOL, WUT??? That was hilarious. Makes me think I should make a Google Alert for "Discordianism". I have one for "Eris" but it always ends up being shit about Android phones or someone misspelling "Erin". Searching Twitter for "fnord", "discordia", and "haileris" gives interesting results every once in awhile.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on June 21, 2011, 03:43:53 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on June 21, 2011, 03:37:53 PM
I don't get it.

I think it's something like, "Once again, Satanists are taking things much too seriously."

I disagree. Satanists don't take things seriously enough. They're atheists that believe in Magick (regardless of defintion. They accept the removed psychodrama aspect of the process). Gotta go one way or the other.

Or they're Pagans that believe that Lucifer is the rightful god of the universe.

Or they're evil Christians who practice Goetia.

Hey, is there a legit proper definition of Satanist in the 21st Century? I'm kinda struggling here, as I imagine every Satanist in existence is... Are they atheists, polytheists or monotheists?

Sticker Ninja.

Cain

Quote from: Laughin Jude on June 23, 2011, 04:13:21 AM
"The Satanic Bible" can get a little Rand-ish at times, but it's still a far cry from Objectivism, and there's a deal of self-awareness and open mockery of organized religion.

"I give people Ayn Rand with trappings" - Anton LaVey, founder of the Church of Satan (to Kim Klein of the Washington Post, 1970)

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2011, 07:25:31 AM
"The Satanic Bible" can get a little Rand-ish at times, but it's still a far cry from Objectivism, and there's a deal of self-awareness and open mockery of organized religion.

"I give people Ayn Rand with trappings" - Anton LaVey, founder of the Church of Satan (to Kim Klein of the Washington Post, 1970)

Are the trappings spicy enough? Or should I just go to another restaurant?

Cramulus

I think there's a good anti-libertarian meme in there somewhere

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cramulus on June 23, 2011, 02:14:27 PM

I think there's a good anti-libertarian meme in there somewhere

The thought occurred to me too. I just can't quite come up with one.

Cain

It's great for trolling Tea Partiers with.  I'm not the only one, some enterprising individuals have been using "Ayn Rand leads to Satanism therefore Glenn Beck is a Satanist" attack for a while now.