News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

Time To Spit It Out.

Started by Salty, June 23, 2011, 06:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 24, 2011, 04:07:15 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on June 24, 2011, 04:04:21 PM
I saw Return of the Jedi in the theater when it first came out.

Even at the tender age of 6 I knew it was crap. Fucking ewoks? Really? Choke on 6 miles of dick, George Lucas.

Dunno if this is true, but the original plot called for a planet of wookies, but it got spielberged.

Yes. They were supposed to be on Kashyyyk and not Endor.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Are you saying that Johnny Cochran's Chewbacca Defense wouldn't really work???

Suu

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on June 24, 2011, 04:48:13 PM
Are you saying that Johnny Cochran's Chewbacca Defense wouldn't really work???

I read somewhere that F. Lee Bailey wanted to use the Ewok Defense.  His words were, and I quote, "It would be much more Wicket!"

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

Cain

Quote from: Idem on June 23, 2011, 07:54:45 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on June 23, 2011, 07:20:37 PM
Alty, you know what I can't wait for?

the day that they decide to REMAKE the originals.

You think Star Wars is immune to a series reboot? It would be an awful idea, but after Lucas kicks it, I bet our grandkids will watch a new A New Hope in theaters.

Justin Bieber as Luke Skywalker.

I called it first.

No, Justin Bieber as Han Solo.

And he'll always shoot second.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on June 23, 2011, 07:20:37 PM
Alty, you know what I can't wait for?

the day that they decide to REMAKE the originals.

You think Star Wars is immune to a series reboot? It would be an awful idea, but after Lucas kicks it, I bet our grandkids will watch a new A New Hope in theaters.

And then The Force Awakens happened.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Luckily, TFA was a good movie.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on July 12, 2018, 09:29:04 PM

But it was still a reboot.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 12, 2018, 09:31:39 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 12, 2018, 09:29:04 PM

But it was still a reboot.

Which is fine IMO, because The Last Jedi was very much not a reboot and it made a bunch of wieners really, really mad. This is made even better by the fact that it was actually excellent.

Currently 46% audience approval on Rotten Tomatoes vs 91% critical approval. A huge chunk of that is review-bombing by trolls, but still. Watching the total failure of some people to tolerate a deconstruction of their cultivated identity has been a joy.

(here's where I got the term "cultivated identity": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Lf1GcG5M4)

Cain

TFA was meh.

TLJ was actually good, though fuck me if it took some time to get there.  The showdown between Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker was worth the price of admission.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on July 13, 2018, 10:32:43 AM
TFA was meh.

TLJ was actually good, though fuck me if it took some time to get there.  The showdown between Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker was worth the price of admission.

Also worthwhile was the moment that Yoda mindfucks Luke (and the audience) by burning down the sacred tree they kept the Jedi books in, knowing, I presume, that they had already been stolen.

Personally I think it would have been cooler if the books had been burned too. I take my iconoclasm seriously.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on July 13, 2018, 10:32:43 AM
TFA was meh.

No doubt, TLJ's biggest sin is its pacing, which kind of sucks.

I am constantly flabbergasted by people who think Luke's character was mishandled or done a disservice by the film, though. What they did was so much better than anything I'd have come up with.