News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Get worse now!

Started by McGrupp, July 30, 2013, 10:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 02, 2013, 05:08:48 PM
The capacity a human has for continuous suffering is terrifying.

If it keeps up for long enough, it becomes the New Normal.

Just look at the sequester. What started out as a "punishment" for not getting budget shit together has become the BASELINE.

And the GOP assholes are crowing "SEE?  STUFF DIDN'T FALL APART", because A) congress wasn't targeted, and B) the country club still has plenty of booze and fat little boys.
Molon Lube

Cain

People who rely on the heightening of contradictions to bring about a general uprising and do their work for them are usually woefully misinformed about history and the theory of rebellion.  To me, it comes across as an excuse, a reason why one shouldn't act at this moment.  And thus, the moment where the "public" breaks never comes, and they never do anything.  Neatly absolving them of all responsibility.  They wanted to act, but, well, Those People...

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 02, 2013, 05:41:44 PM

Just look at the sequester. What started out as a "punishment" for not getting budget shit together has become the BASELINE.

And the GOP assholes are crowing "SEE?  STUFF DIDN'T FALL APART", because A) congress wasn't targeted, and B) the country club still has plenty of booze and fat little boys.

And then they wonder why the recovery is taking so long.

Oh, wait. No they aren't. They KNOW why it's taking so long: "Not enough austerity."

GrannySmith

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 02, 2013, 03:03:31 PM
Quote from: GrannySmith on August 02, 2013, 08:28:14 AM
I also usually agree with McGrupp's first post. I even have a little theory/fantasy that as soon as enough people get pissed off enough, we'll all push for a change/decision/action instinctively, much like ants act, e.g., when choosing a new nest. When they're enough that prefer that certain choice they just do it. On the other hand, in the ants example, one has to destroy their old nest first. Anyway, this idea has not properly formed in my head yet.

Agreeing with McGrupp I used to think this is going to happen to greece for example. Every year, month, things get worse and worse since 2009. There were some large protests, constantly small ones, though nothing seems to bother the majority of the population... How much worse does it have to get? I'm starting to lose my belief in this idea...

Yeah, well, look at the USSR under Stalin before and after WWII, and tell me when it gets bad enough.

IT DOESN'T GET BAD ENOUGH. 

Historical hint:  With only ONE exception in history (Haiti), EVERY successful revolution has been led by the upper and/or upper middle classes.

I absolutely agree with both. But i still don't know what i can do about it, except take part at some protest and point out to everyone i know, how shit the situation is and try to discuss why. but i can't see how this helps any more.
  X  

Left

Quote from: GrannySmith on August 04, 2013, 04:56:05 PM
I also usually agree with McGrupp's first post. I even have a little theory/fantasy that as soon as enough people get pissed off enough, we'll all push for a change/decision/action instinctively, much like ants act, e.g., when choosing a new nest. When they're enough that prefer that certain choice they just do it. On the other hand, in the ants example, one has to destroy their old nest first. Anyway, this idea has not properly formed in my head yet.

Agreeing with McGrupp I used to think this is going to happen to greece for example. Every year, month, things get worse and worse since 2009. There were some large protests, constantly small ones, though nothing seems to bother the majority of the population... How much worse does it have to get? I'm starting to lose my belief in this idea...

Yeah, well, look at the USSR under Stalin before and after WWII, and tell me when it gets bad enough.

Historical hint:  With only ONE exception in history (Haiti), EVERY successful revolution has been led by the upper and/or upper middle classes.

I absolutely agree with both. But i still don't know what i can do about it, except take part at some protest and point out to everyone i know, how shit the situation is and try to discuss why. but i can't see how this helps any more.

Seconded.
It's like watching a horrible trainwreck in very slow motion- one reason why I tend to dodge the news a lot.

But the thing is?  We're so atomized.
That and poor people don't ally with other poor people.

...I like to say that I didn't declare class war, class war was declared on me. 
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

GrannySmith

Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on August 04, 2013, 11:03:59 PM

Seconded.
It's like watching a horrible trainwreck in very slow motion- one reason why I tend to dodge the news a lot.

I manage to stand reading the news by switching to science news when politics gets too depressing/horrifying. Somehow that gives me hope for humanity that we're not just living in a baboon society.

We are atomized indeed but i see in some countries that when the poor people get to be an enough percentage of the population they start to ally and, for example, order potatoes directly from the farmers to bypass the expensive supermarket middle men. (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/feb/25/25wiregreeceWEB/) So i stay optimistic on this one.

I'll definitely be using this quote on class war! :)
  X  

Reginald Ret

Quote from: GrannySmith on August 06, 2013, 05:56:22 AM
We are atomized indeed but i see in some countries that when the poor people get to be an enough percentage of the population they start to ally and, for example, order potatoes directly from the farmers to bypass the expensive supermarket middle men. (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/feb/25/25wiregreeceWEB/) So i stay optimistic on this one.
That is the coolest thing i've seen in a long time.
Thanks for the tiny spark of hope for humanity.
Don't worry, it won't last.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GrannySmith on August 06, 2013, 05:56:22 AM
Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on August 04, 2013, 11:03:59 PM

Seconded.

I manage to stand reading the news by switching to science news when politics gets too depressing/horrifying. Somehow that gives me hope for humanity that we're not just living in a baboon society.

I'll definitely be using this quote on class war! :)

They need farmer's markets!

It's really neat that the farmer didn't charge a profit on his potatoes.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth