News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Random Bluescreening, anyone got any ideas?

Started by BadBeast, July 09, 2011, 05:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

For the past couple of weeks, my PC has been randomly bluescreening. I've changed the graphics cards, drivers, Ram sticks, re-installed XP (SP2),  System restores, all the usual stuff, and it still dies on me, say, every half an hour ish. the message i get is

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***Stop:OXO000000EA  (OXD78FFEBO,OXOOOOOOO2, OXOOOOOOO,OX804FF1C3)

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks chaps.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Triple Zero

Sounds to me you're on the right path exchanging hardware.

My first guess would have been memory, but you already tried that.

System Restore, does that mean a complete reinstall? If not, you might want to try booting a OS from a USB stick (Ubuntu is really easy for that but it also exists for Windows of course) and then using that for a couple of hours see if you get the same error (well Ubuntu wouldn't give a bluescreen of course, so maybe get a Windows boot USB, just make sure all the necessary OS stuff is on it, doesn't use the HD for any system stuff).

If you don't get the bluescreen when you boot a complete OS from USB, you know the problem is in your OS and you gotta do a full format and reinstall.

If you do get the bluescreen, it's hardware. In that case I'd try replacing the power supply with one that gives more watts.

If that doesn't help, it might be the mobo. Which means you better just buy a new computar.

disclaimer: I'm not really that experienced with computer hardware, much more of a software guy, so if someone says I'm being very wrong about the above, they're probably right :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bruno

What do you mean by saying you changed the RAM sticks? Did you put new RAM in it, or did you just move the RAM around a bit?
Formerly something else...

BadBeast

I went from originally 1gb DDR2 in 2 sticks of 500mb, to 1.5gb in 3 sticks of 500mb, then various combinations of the three 500mb sticks in the three slots. No noticable difference. Then tried a 1gb DDR2 stick, no difference, whichever slot I put it in.
But thanks guys, I think I'm gonna have to bear with it until I can put another system together.   
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Triple Zero

Did you try it without any memory sticks in it?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

BadBeast

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 13, 2011, 03:10:06 PM
I didn't even consider that, I never thought it would boot with no Ram memory.  I presume it would just use my page file instead.
Looks like I'll have a  new PC sorted in the next few days though,  :awesome:  but thanks for the tips guys. I'm more inclined to suspect it's a major hardware fault anyway, seeing as I put the system together completely out of bits of other computers that I'd reclaimed from skips.

I've had 3 years good use out of it, and that's more than I could have originally hoped for. Don't you just love disposable Tech?  8)

Triple Zero

Quote from: BadBeast on July 13, 2011, 11:41:17 PM
I didn't even consider that, I never thought it would boot with no Ram memory. 

Um, it doesn't I was pulling your leg, sorry :lol:

Luna

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 14, 2011, 08:00:30 PM

Bad spag, no bacon.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

BadBeast

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 14, 2011, 08:00:30 PM

[/quote]I wasn't sure, but I tried it anyway with no Ram, and it booted perfectly and hasn't crashed since.!

Yeah, I figured. Had that^^ line all ready to go to, but you beat me to it.  But he laughs most, lists louder. Or something.  :roll:

Telarus

This thread is HILARIOUS with the Robot Avatar Mod enabled.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

BadBeast

Telarus

Quote from: BadBeast on July 15, 2011, 12:01:11 AM
Quote from: Telarus on July 14, 2011, 11:46:53 PM
This thread is HILARIOUS with the Robot Avatar Mod enabled.
The wut?

If you see a big red button at the bottom of the forum (its got a small random chance to appear each refresh), press it.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Kai

Have you tried checking if it's plugged in?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

BadBeast

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on July 15, 2011, 12:47:49 AM
Have you tried checking if it's plugged in?
I was going to check, but I thought "What's the fuckin' point? it can't be working any worse if the plugs not in". So I didn't bother in the end.

*How will I evar find out if I can't shake this constant apathy? Oh well. Such is life* 

BadBeast

Managed to sort it out. All I needed was a new quad core Toshiba Satellite, with 4 gigs of DDR 2, and Windows 7. Everything is peachy.