News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Discordia and Philosophy

Started by Sano, July 10, 2011, 12:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Dear Human,
Welcome to the club.
Sincerely,
God.

:lulz: That's good.

Keep your mouth shut indeed.
Good luck if the other humans find out you got a promotion.
At least history shows that they'll probably make up a really cool story about why they HAD to kill you.
Then there's the even better stories of why they need to kill FOR you after you're long gone.

Just for my reference is there a philosophy or religion that reflects self deification without all the pseudo-rebellion against such Diety as may already be there waiting for you?

I mean without the "Become/Kill God" propaganda that Satanic/Luciferian thought has been running with Forever.  Anything that considers deification of man to be what God might want.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Sano

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 11, 2011, 01:52:14 AM
Thanks!
I'm pretty weak on philosophy and religion both in the sense that I tend not to remember author names or Chapter/ verse references.

I am sometimes good at synergy of general knowledge tho.

If you want further evidence of a biological basis for dualism (not that I'm right) I'd say look at humor.  The laugh is a biological reflex that alters the mental state.  It's usually triggered by contradiction in the humor.  Contradiction as an idea requires dualistic perception, but you don't need to think about or even know that to see funny stuff and laugh.  It's similar with tragedy and crying.  These reflexes can be so important that suppressing them may cause disorders in a person.  If you don't have these reflexes folks would likely think you inhuman, maybe dangerous, if they found out. 

Actually, I've lately found out that humor is far more complex than that... The perception that humor is based on a contradiction is not the only one possible, and as it turns out, there are quite a few problems involving the philosophy of humor (yeah, there really is such thing, I was also surprised a bit). Also, contradiction doesn't necessarily involve dualistic perception! It involves two things that can't coexist, which doesn't means that there are only two options.

Quote from: Cramulus on July 11, 2011, 02:57:24 PM
Hey Sano, welcome aboard! I'm still on coffee #1 for the morning so excuse me if this is scattered---

I've been thinking about similar stuff.. the query I have now is this:

If the world is absurd,
and the solution to that is to create your own meaning & purpose,

is there a higher cause than self interest?

-if the answer is no, what's left other than hedonism?

I think that arriving at "hedonism" from that line of thought is kind of looking at it with very different expectations than with what is commonly thought of hedonism. It may probably be so different that to use the same word for both could be kind of misleading, but that's just my opinion.

Quote from: Cramulus on July 11, 2011, 02:57:24 PM
I feel like I want to improve MY world
but because of the absurdity, I have little control over anything but my internal experience of the world

so how do I improve that experience?

I oscillate between feeling a sense of duty to the world at large, a duty to my super local community, and a duty to myself and no one else.  All three of these are avenues to changing the world AND improving my internal experience... but the larger scale you're talking about, the less results you'll actually see. So like - what should I be spending my time on? That's what I'm questing after these days.

Well, if philosophy had these answers, we would kind of be through with it, wouldn't it. :P But I don't see how those three senses of duty would be mutually exclusive, maybe there's something that could achieve most of each? (although of course we aren't machines [yet], so there's no need to aim for optimality).

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 12, 2011, 02:59:50 AMJust for my reference is there a philosophy or religion that reflects self deification without all the pseudo-rebellion against such Diety as may already be there waiting for you?

I mean without the "Become/Kill God" propaganda that Satanic/Luciferian thought has been running with Forever.  Anything that considers deification of man to be what God might want.

Well, there are some sects of buddhism, although there is a recurring joke-thing about killing god in some.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Telarus

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 12, 2011, 02:59:50 AM
Dear Human,
Welcome to the club.
Sincerely,
God.

At least history shows that they'll probably make up a really cool story about why they HAD to kill you.
Then there's the even better stories of why they need to kill FOR you after you're long gone.

Just for my reference is there a philosophy or religion that reflects self deification without all the pseudo-rebellion against such Diety as may already be there waiting for you?

Old School (pre burning times) Gnostics.

It's why they HAD to die.  :fnord:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Telarus on July 12, 2011, 05:35:40 AM
Dear Human,
Welcome to the club.
Sincerely,
God.

Old School (pre burning times) Gnostics.

It's why they HAD to die.  :fnord:

Thought that might be the case.  I've got copies of "The Other Bible" and "A Separate God" but haven't finished them yet.
I've definitely begun to suspect that some form of gnosis may be available through Discordian thought. It certainly can loosen up the mind for "Other" perceptions.  Or drive you into the stupid sort of crazy.. Not all vessels can hold THAT kind of water.  I'll keep looking into the Gnostics.
Thanks.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

QuoteActually, I've lately found out that humor is far more complex than that... The perception that humor is based on a contradiction is not the only one possible, and as it turns out, there are quite a few problems involving the philosophy of humor (yeah, there really is such thing, I was also surprised a bit). Also, contradiction doesn't necessarily involve dualistic perception! It involves two things that can't coexist, which doesn't means that there are only two options.

yeah, humor is way more complex than duality.
Of course humans would seem disproportionately more complex than the other animals on the planet, and we seem to be the only ones that laugh at wordplay and tragedy and occasionally things that aren't there to other people.  I just think it's a reaction we developed over ages of one ape poking the previously mentioned "tiger" with a stick so the rest of the troup can find out without much risk.  I also think it becomes exploitable when you already know the outcome and allow the other monkeys to think you brave or whatever for poking it.

Well, there are some sects of buddhism, although there is a recurring joke-thing about killing god in some.
I've heard Discordianism described as "Zen for round-eyes"  Hard to say.  I've got a couple partially read D. T. Suzuki books on the shelf.
I think if I met the Buddha on the path I'd be quite happy to "kill him" in the comedic sense.  If I can make him choke on his tea with words then obviously he's not so Buddha anyway. Of course he might make me choke on my words with his tea, but that's just to be expected.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BabylonHoruv

Dear Human,
Welcome to the club.
Sincerely,
God.

Transhumanism
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 12, 2011, 02:32:34 PM
Dear Human,
Welcome to the club.
Sincerely,
God.

Transhumanism

I guess ascension is ascension, but some of Transhumanism creeps me out. 
It's not the terchno-integration. I figure the merger of humanity with equipment and/or tailoring people genetically is inevitable as man's knowledge grows. 
It is our lack of temperance and urge for dominance that makes me think the Overmantm terrifing. 
Then again I don't know a LOT about it. 
The closest I have to a book on the subject is called "Metaman" and it seems more about the integration of people into the super-system we've made. 
Any good books you could refer me to?

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 12, 2011, 02:57:56 PM
Quote from: l©m©n©o©, PhD on July 12, 2011, 02:53:38 PM
Transmetropolitan.

Supergod.

Thanks!  The publisher of Supergod, Avatar Press, looks generally interesting too.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 12, 2011, 03:11:16 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 12, 2011, 02:57:56 PM
Quote from: l©m©n©o©, PhD on July 12, 2011, 02:53:38 PM
Transmetropolitan.

Supergod.

Thanks!  The publisher of Supergod, Avatar Press, looks generally interesting too.

Supergod will tell you everything you need to know about transhumanism.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Doesn't the LDS church teach that part of the believers will go on to have their own terrestrial planets that they will be like unto gods over?

hooplala

They were just trying to trump Islam.  And succeeding, I should add.

I like this thread a lot, but don't really have anything to contribute at the moment.  Just know that one person without much to say is enjoying... don't fuck it up!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iptuous on July 12, 2011, 03:22:57 PM
Doesn't the LDS church teach that part of the believers will go on to have their own terrestrial planets that they will be like unto gods over?

:fnord: Something like that. All the guys who have at least three wives will be gods over their own planet, and their lucky wives get to live on the planet and serve them forever.

"Spiritual wives" count, which is how they got around that whole monogamy thing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."