News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

RPGs for kiddos...

Started by Elder Iptuous, July 13, 2011, 05:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

For preschoolers I have no idea what to recommend.

(For elementary schoolers though, I would recommend Toon: The Cartoon Roleplaying Game by SJ Games)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Iptuous on July 13, 2011, 05:46:28 PM
Well, my kiddos are still preschool...
when you do a google for 'children RPG' the first site that comes up has a good sized list of candidates, and some of them mention very simple systems that use tokens or a few six sided dice.

i was just thinking about it, because my kiddos found my dice sack yesterday and were enjoying separating them out and playing with them.  then i was thinking about how simple it could be boiled down to, and figured there's got to be something out there suitable for really young kids.

Do you have any experiences with young children LARPS, Cram?

LARPing is what young children tend to do all the time, they call it "playing"  we just need the complex rules as adults to let us feel comfortable letting go and playing freely.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Elder Iptuous

heh...
i remember one of the first rpgs i played had an intro chapter that described what the genre was about.  i think it may have been Buck Rogers in the XXV century.  it described how we would, as children, play roles such as cowboys and indians.  at some point, one kid would say, 'i got you!', to which the other would reply, 'no.  your the bad guy, and you have horrible aim.'  and argument might ensue, and the play stops unless agreement is achieved about when one player 'gets' the other one.  RPGs, then, can be seen simply as a refinement of this.
so, yes.  obviously, as mentioned several times in this thread, children naturally, 'play roles'.
this thread, then, is about how to introduce children, in an age appropriate but expanding way, to adding structure to their imaginative collaborations so that they can take it further if they would enjoy to.

also, i envision you with a monocle when you explain the reasoning why mature adults such as ourselves use rule sets when we play make believe. :lol:

kingyak

I'm a little biased, but I'd recommend Laser Ponies http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=65022

Note: The actual QAGS Rulebook is written for adults (we say "fuck" a lot), but the Laser Ponies PDF includes the Qik Start rules, which are sanitized (and a bit simplified) for your protection. We're hoping to do a PG-rated QAGS For Kids rules set one of these days.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Cramulus

Triple Zero

Looks very nice! What ages is this for?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

I think it's meant for age six and up

Elder Iptuous