News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Orwell v's Huxley

Started by P3nT4gR4m, July 14, 2011, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

I said it had been some time since we had the free will discussion! Totally called it. :D
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Iptuous on July 18, 2011, 11:15:10 PM
Trip,  yeah i guess it is broken in that sense. (i hadn't really taken it that far in my head)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 18, 2011, 09:55:26 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on July 18, 2011, 09:39:11 PM
having been brewed in a Freedom loving society, i tend to have the same leaning as you, Trip.  but, rationally it seems that it is worth giving up freedom if it guarantees happiness.

I maintain that you can't be happy without being free.  Complacent, maybe, but that's not the same thing.

If you are given the option to live in a world where anything you would want to do is allowable, and anything that you would elect not to do is verboten, would you be 'free'?

If I was allowed to change my preferences periodically... sure, I'll go with that.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Triple Zero

I believe that in the case of the Experience Machine, this was allowed. You were allowed to ask for, say, picking a new "scenario" to live every five years or so. You'd still have to decide that beforehand, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.