News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Listening to the voices

Started by Phox, July 22, 2011, 11:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

I found this in a random word document sitting on my computer. I do not remember writing it, though it does seem like something I'd write. I assume what happened is that I intended to write more and then forgot about it, but...well...

QuoteEver notice that little voice in the back of your head? You know the one. The one that keeps telling you to punish people. Not that they've done anything particularly wrong today. They just happen to exist.

But you know what? That's the problem. They exist. Here they are, breathing your air, eating your food, taking up space on your planet. They deserve to be punished, so burn the world.

Well, actually, no. They don't deserve to be punished for existing. The decent thing to do, the thing that other voice tells you to do, is be nice. Share your air, you've got plenty. Food isn't a problem for you, so why should you care if they get some? In fact, you have too much, you should help out someone who doesn't have enough. And space? Fah. Why bother worrying about? It could be worse.

And then the third voice pops in. You know, why don't they share their air? Did you see the look of disgust that guy just gave you? He's thinking the same thing. He thinks that you need to be removed from the planet. who knows his reason why. But fuck him. Burn it. He deserves to be punished, and so do they all. Let them all burn.

Another voice, another sound. Maybe you should leave his planet. Obviously, he wants you to. Why give him the gift of your presence? You have the power to take it away. See if he's that much happier without you on it. If you want, you can take a few others with you. Aye, there's the rub. Take a few down and then make your exit.

And then another. And another. And another. And all you can hear is a clutter of voices, no longer even forming words. They pierce every thought, every sensation. And then... silence. It's when the voices stop that you start to worry.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Worm Rider

My recent experiences with road rage seem to have laid this bare -this thing with sharing the world.

Scenario 1: Just last week I was driving along the interstate, minding my own business. Out of nowhere a truck swerves in front of me, makes me slow down to create enough space, then he begins slowing down, on an empty stretch of wooded highway. He starts to pull off the road. He pulls into the shoulder and off the road completely. I look in my rearview mirror and he's flipping me off! I'm just driving in a straight fucking line like you're supposed to. He's acting all crazy and changing lanes and slowing down and pulling off like I've never done in my whole life, and he flips me off? Sorry for occupying your planet.

Scenario 2: I'm turning right into the Winn Dixie parking lot, which is just before an intersection. A car is exiting the parking lot from the same place I am planning to enter. I have on my turn signal, slow down, and begin to turn. The lady in the car leaving the parking lot flips me off! Why??? I pull into the parking lot and check my turn signal. It works. What. The. Hell?

We all have bad days. We all have a different perspective. Perhaps you could be a bit more constructive with your criticism?

I feel like a perpetual noob on this planet. The rules are incoherent, arbitrary, undefined, insoluble, questionable, inconclusive, and sometimes, it seems like there aren't any rules at all (are there? rules?). I'm really trying to do a good job at this whole humanity thing, but fuck if I'm not just faking it. I really have no idea what I'm doing. Do you?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't think it was criticism. I think it was commentary on what it's like to be human. I might be wrong though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Worm Rider

Let me clarify: I like the OP. I think we all feel that way from time to time. However, I feel closer to the truth when I admit the counterpoint that we were all thrown into this soup involuntarily. This is made clear by recognizing the absurdity of the thoughts in the OP, which I've certainly noticed in myself and others. Keep up the good work Doktor Phox.

Phox

Quote from: Phlogiston Merriweather on July 23, 2011, 03:13:05 PM
Let me clarify: I like the OP. I think we all feel that way from time to time. However, I feel closer to the truth when I admit the counterpoint that we were all thrown into this soup involuntarily. This is made clear by recognizing the absurdity of the thoughts in the OP, which I've certainly noticed in myself and others. Keep up the good work Doktor Phox.
Thanks.

Quote from: Nigel on July 23, 2011, 04:06:48 AM
Hmmm, I like it.
Yeah, I think like it better as is than if I would have tried to add something to it on the end.