News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

I just banned the Chicken

Started by Doktor Howl, July 24, 2011, 07:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

Quote from: navkat on July 24, 2011, 11:36:25 PM
Just because you label yourself "discordian" doesn't mean you get to be an asshole.

Who said this and when?
With the labeling and the whatsits?

As for the chicken's ban..theres not much to miss there though I do enjoy watching hostile trolls leaving dragging their shame behind them.

But kids are a line you dont cross.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 25, 2011, 01:02:10 AM
Quote from: navkat on July 24, 2011, 11:36:25 PM
Just because you label yourself "discordian" doesn't mean you get to be an asshole.

Threats and people's children should be off the fucking table, IMO unless you're really fucking familiar and intimate with the target and can make those kinds of jokes without being a cockgobbling turkey neck.

The "threat" there was vague, too.

Just a PM saying "Kids?"

Sorry, but that was enough for me.

Yeah, that's not ok.  Not like it was time for you to sit and chat about your personal lives. I'd feel threatened considering some of the stuff said & consider playing spot the chicken.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

He basically brought constructive activity to a halt while he was here.  That's not really a reason for banning, or I would have banned him on day 2.  If he was being banned for being a retard, that would have been on day 1.

I don't take banning lightly.  I also don't see that legalese has anything to do with it.  A threat is a threat, no matter how it is couched.
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

I'm not 100% certain that I agree with the banning, but I am 100% certain that I don't really give a shit. Between our ship's internet being down and my real life taking up 98% of my time and attention right now, I'm perfectly happy with trusting the rest of the admin team. I haven't been able to scour the board for ever post some retard makes and if Dok (or any of the other admins) think they have a justification for banning someone I'm going to adopt the default position of agreeing until and unless I am presented with hard evidence of some egregious misuse of admin powers.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 25, 2011, 01:25:44 AM
He basically brought constructive activity to a halt while he was here.  That's not really a reason for banning, or I would have banned him on day 2.  If he was being banned for being a retard, that would have been on day 1.

I don't take banning lightly.  I also don't see that legalese has anything to do with it.  A threat is a threat, no matter how it is couched.

The way that dude was posting, I would also go on immediate "threat level nine point red" if he just up and asked me about any of my personal life shit, ESPECIALLY if it concerned whether or not I had kids.

Not that I'm opposed to people knowing about it, I just wouldn't want that psycho douche asking out of the blue like that.

ETA:  It's implied threats, like Dok was saying.

Pæs

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 24, 2011, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: Bert Huttz on July 24, 2011, 07:52:48 PM
I immediately don't like it, not having seen the threats or insinuations, and being quite fond of how hard it is to get banned here without seriously attacking the place but I'm not going to dig through his posts to check it out, because I have too many to catch up on after ignoring him.

"I wasn't paying attention, so Dok is a Nazi."

Quote from: Bert Huttz on July 24, 2011, 07:52:48 PM
Lacking any other information, I'ma just believe you had good reason.

More like "I wasn't paying attention, but I trust that Dok is acting in the board's best interests."
Or that other thing you said if you want to fight about it, asshole. Pistols at dawn?

navkat

Threats-no matter how thinly veiled-have always been a no-no here. TGRHowl has been pretty consistent on this. He's not doing anything new or special whether the handle is AKK or Arkham or Chicken or Beef or Pork.

Discordian or not, I take a certain amount of comfort in the knowledge that I might get my ass handed to me, but if someone wants to get personal, they're gonna have to go through Rog. That's not mod-dick-sucking, that's just how I feel. It's been done to me before and it's fucking unpleasant when someone who lives in your town gets to threaten you with personal harm and the Admins and Mods threaten to ban YOU for making a stink about it because they don't want the liability...or when someone who lives within two hours of you goes on a hunting expedition via Google for your real name, co-workers, family and other personal info so they can initiate a smear campaign to jack up your life simply because you're smarter, prettier and they hate you.

Threats and kids are off the table. Period. It's just basic decency. We're not dumbshits on here, we don't lack the imaginative effort to hit above the belt. I may call myself "discordian" and adopt an "anything goes" philosophy about things but you don't see me in a Punky Brewster costume, writhing in a kiddie-pool full of vom and feces, either.

Telarus

I began to notice a pattern when I called him a 'hack' in tiny letters (after the surrealist complements flood), and then he spat the word back at all of you in 3 different threads for a whole day. Then the welding thing, and (Pickle?) responding in sympathy. And how when I mentioned the "This book is a mirror" thing, he spat that back out at all of you in multiple threads. He literally _didn't post any original content_ (the Mason thread started that way.. read it, but I think that was the closes we saw to 'his voice' in actuality).

I think this was a sociololgical experiment in the Burroughs cut-up-style targeted against a few of the more 'active' posters here. Especially after he shut the hell up when I did the exact same thing to him visually with the Wordle cloud. I might be Lo5-ing this, but I'm probably not.

Weak fail was weak. If he wants back in, he can pick a different nick and personality for all I care.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Payne

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on July 25, 2011, 01:47:07 AM
I'm not 100% certain that I agree with the banning, but I am 100% certain that I don't really give a shit. Between our ship's internet being down and my real life taking up 98% of my time and attention right now, I'm perfectly happy with trusting the rest of the admin team. I haven't been able to scour the board for ever post some retard makes and if Dok (or any of the other admins) think they have a justification for banning someone I'm going to adopt the default position of agreeing until and unless I am presented with hard evidence of some egregious misuse of admin powers.

IAWTF

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I would have freaked out if he'd PM's me "Kids?" and probably gone straight to Roger. That would have creeped me the FUCK out, in context of everything else.

And yeah, his shtick seemed to consist mostly of him repeating things other people said to him ad nauseum. He was, IMO, either a troll or a nutjob, or a combination of the two.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

I've been getting rogers hate mail in my inbox from this tard.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Pæs

Quote from: Faust on July 25, 2011, 09:13:11 AM
Is it entertaining?

Faust

Quote from: Bert Huttz on July 25, 2011, 09:18:43 AM
Quote from: Faust on July 25, 2011, 09:13:11 AM
Is it entertaining?

Not really. Very bland to be honest.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on July 25, 2011, 02:31:01 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 25, 2011, 01:25:44 AM
He basically brought constructive activity to a halt while he was here.  That's not really a reason for banning, or I would have banned him on day 2.  If he was being banned for being a retard, that would have been on day 1.

I don't take banning lightly.  I also don't see that legalese has anything to do with it.  A threat is a threat, no matter how it is couched.

The way that dude was posting, I would also go on immediate "threat level nine point red" if he just up and asked me about any of my personal life shit, ESPECIALLY if it concerned whether or not I had kids.

Not that I'm opposed to people knowing about it, I just wouldn't want that psycho douche asking out of the blue like that.

ETA:  It's implied threats, like Dok was saying.

THIS.

Context.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

BabylonHoruv

There's been more bannings here lately than I have ever seen.  it looks to me like that is because there are more truly shitty people that need to be banned than usual, not like mod powers are being abused, but I do wonder just why the level of troll we are attracting has changed from amusing, and or annoying to in need of banning.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl