News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Dungeons and Discourse

Started by Cain, July 26, 2011, 08:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Anyone remember this epic Dresden Codak comic strip?

Well, there is a Wiki dedicated to making this game into a reality

http://dndis.wikidot.com/

Worth mentioning not least for the fact Discordians are a class one can take (currently in beta-testing, I believe)

http://dndis.wikidot.com/beta:discordianism

QuoteDiscordians believe that everything is true, even untrue things, but on the other hand everything is untrue (even true things). They believe in spreading Chaos (as opposed to mere disorder) where they can, to reveal the fundamental Truth in everything. Disarmingly convincing, they prefer to hide behind strange but oddly real arguments, and ultimately may draw upon the dreaded law of Fives.
Their abilities draw on the wisdom of the Principia Discordia and other such holy texts.

Quale-

Highly illogical: Discordians may contest a Credible effect aimed at them by rolling Discordianism+CON/5. If they get more or equal successes, they ignore all effects.

Affinity:
1 CON, 10 CHA, 1 CRE

Skills-

1 - Sri Syadasti: The Discordian rolls Discordianism+CHA/5 vs. the opponent's Class skill+CON/5. If they win, the opponent may not add their conviction to any roll for DEXTERITY turns while they struggle with the implications of their values being false and meaningless in some sense..

2 - Overactive Pineal Gland - A Discordian may consult with Eris daily for advice on their quest. She may not always give direct or useful advice, but she's always willing to have a chat.

3 - 23 Skidoo - A Discordian may completely remove themselves from any combat or dangerous Challenge, but cannot then help their party until it is over

4 - Kallistis - The Golden Apple of Eris is a more advanced tool in a Discordian's inventory. The three highest CHA characters present (excluding Discordians, who prefer to joyously partake of a hot dog sans bun) fight amongst themselves for possession for DEXTERITY turns, when it is revealed to be rotten.

5 - Principia Discordia, 5th edition: The Discordian reveals the 5th Edition of the Principia Discordia and rolls Discordianism+Cha/5 vs. Class Skill+Con/5 (for an inanimate or willing element, no roll is needed). If they win, the creature disappears, captured in the page (which acts as an extra Plot Element slot). A full one will show the trapped element; an empty one will show only MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

6 - The Law of Fives: By revealing the inherent fiveness of all things, all of the opponent's Stats are rounded down to a multiple of five and all of the party's stats are rounded up to a multiple of five for DEXTERITY turns. This can be used in or out of combat, but only once per combat or challenge.

It also features fearsome monsters, such as the Philosophical Zombie:

QuoteThe P-Zombie is a creature that acts, looks and feels exactly like a normal human, except that they have no conscious experience. These foul abominations, whilst individually weak, tend to swarm together with a single goal - devouring the qualia of the conscious and zombifying them.
Ethology

Fairly common within Ethos, they are often left in secluded villages or castles that failed to fight off an outbreak. They are aggressive towards philosophers and will attempt to assimilate them.
Abilities

Devour qualia - Passive
Target: Self
Effect: Whenever the P-Zombie attacks a non-zombie character, that character loses one quale. These qualia are regained the next day. In addition, if a character is defeated by a p-zombie while they have no qualia, then they become a p-zombie.

Selfless- Passive
Effect: P-Zombie cannot be forced to pass its turn or be harmed by on going damage.

The Poe

QuoteNo one is quite sure of the intent of the Poe, but they straddle the line between Monster and Mockery. They wander between worlds in during twilight and will disappear once it becomes fully night or day. They all carry lanterns and seek out Philosophers. The problem is once they find the philosophers they tend to drain the Conviction from them. A Poe's CON score is always zero.
Ethology

Usually found during twilight or dimly lit rooms, they can be found on edge of areas built around parodies or fundamentalist modes of thought. Most philosophers should take their appearance as a warning that they are entering a dungeon.
Abilities

Uncertain Nature - Counter Action.
Target: An Ability.
Trigger: An Attack is targeting the Poe.
Roll: Flip a coin.
Effect: As most adventurers are uncertain of the Poe's true nature, it is difficult to attack them. On a success, the attack heals the Poe [This may exceed the Poe's maximum health]
Common knowledge

Poes tend to appear for only brief moments of time and have a tendancy to be incredibly inconsistant, trying to hunt or track them usually ends in tears.

Poes often carry replicas of Diogenes Lantern that serve to find honest men.

Certain Hipsters will purchase the souls of Poes which they enjoy ironically in exchange for empty jars.

And the dread Lastman

QuoteAlso known as Sheeple and Philistines, Lastmen are the embodiments of apathy and conformity. Individually, Last Men are very weak, but they always come in large swarms. No one quite knows what causes a Last Man, but they know what happens; towns will suddenly blink out of existence, every single one of the townspeople becoming a Last Man instantly.
Ethology

Most commonly found in the Lastman plague, there are dispersed villages throughout Deixis where denizens were consumed by boredom.
Abilities

Total Apathy – Passive
Effect: Last Man is so uncaring, that he feels no pain, and doesn't acknowledge damage. Because of this, no status change affects the Last Man.

Limitless Boredom – Standard Action
Target: One Enemy
Roll: 2d6+CHA vs. 10+Level/3.
Effect: On a success: The Last Man hits the philosopher with an idea so boring that it stuns him. On failure, it does nothing.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Telarus

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Surprisingly good rendition of Discordia into that system.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cuddlefish

This is great! I am so down for this, if they finish making it. Who's with me?
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Epimetheus

Yep!! I add myself to the list of down-for-this people. I started making a character and everything, a while back. (I think I lost it, though.  :p )
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Luna

Quote from: Cuddleshift on July 27, 2011, 03:09:51 AM
This is great! I am so down for this, if they finish making it. Who's with me?

Sure.  :)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."