News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Elements of an EmotionML 1.0

Started by Triple Zero, August 02, 2011, 08:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

W3C is the World Wide Web Consortium, a group that works on and tries to define standards used on the Web. Such as the new HTML5 spec, CSS, XML, SVG and things like that. This is in order to promote interoperability between various applications (such as browsers) acting upon the data that is on the WWW. This way, when browsers adhere to the standards, webpages should look and function the same on whatever browser or OS you're using, which is nice for users and reduces stress for webdevelopers. They made great advances with this in the past couple of years, btw.

However, sometimes they try to standardize things that probably weren't meant to be standardized:

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/emotion/XGR-emotionml-20081120/

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

so... if I understand this properly, and I'm pretty sure I don't...

this document is trying to define standards for "emotional annotation"?

And what does that mean? Is an emotional annotation something used to clarify the non-textual portion of a message? Sort of like the difference between these two posts?

Quotegreat post    :lulz:

and

Quotegreat post     :boring:

I do think that we would avoid a lot of confusion on the net if there were a standard way of communicating sarcasm, sympathy, hostility, etc. Context often isn't enough. We need a sarcasm font.

is that what this is about?

Triple Zero

Seems to be something like that, yeah. The project has been abandoned, though :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.