News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

ATTN: LMNO PEE: I IZ TOO STOOPID TO "GET" AUTECHRE

Started by navkat, August 06, 2011, 06:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Epimetheus on August 09, 2011, 04:24:54 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 08, 2011, 07:11:20 PM
But if I say something is art, and you say something isn't, then is it art, or not?
That makes me imagine an in-between state twixt thinking an artwork is good and thinking it's bad - call it aesthetic-agnostic. "There is not enough information to me to make a claim that this artwork is good or that it's bad, although I am open to further evidence."
And then the strong aesthetic-agnostic would claim it will never be possible for us to know whether art is good or bad.

You leapfrogged the actual question in order to get to the Excluded Middle argument you so desperately wanted to make.

Phox

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 09, 2011, 04:26:14 PM
But if I say something is art, and you say something isn't, then is it art, or not?
That makes me imagine an in-between state twixt thinking an artwork is good and thinking it's bad - call it aesthetic-agnostic. "There is not enough information to me to make a claim that this artwork is good or that it's bad, although I am open to further evidence."
And then the strong aesthetic-agnostic would claim it will never be possible for us to know whether art is good or bad.

You leapfrogged the actual question in order to get to the Excluded Middle argument you so desperately wanted to make.
I was noticing that to.

Side note,  I have been following this discussion with great interest. Continue with the debate!  8)

Triple Zero

ECH, sure thing :) I knew I should have tried a Grolsch from the USA supermarkets when I was there ...

Additionally, I don't like the proper Heineken here that much either. It's not bad, a tad too sweet maybe, and being the largest brand and how it brands itself doesn't help either. Same goes for Amstel, kind of. Except Amstel has a distinctive flavour that I don't like in the first glass but gets better/less noticeable after, while Heineken starts out bland and tends to get worse as you drink more of it.

And once more I'll point out that these are not mere opinions, but hard and objective facts. Failure to agree with them means that you just don't "get it", like Autechre. Who are British. So what do they know about beer, anyway.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Phox

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 09, 2011, 04:33:09 PM
And once more I'll point out that these are not mere opinions, but hard and objective facts. Failure to agree with them means that you just don't "get it", like Autechre. Who are British. So what do they know about beer, anyway.
:lulz:

Epimetheus

I wasn't making an argument - that was actually a joke.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

LMNO

Phox

Quote from: Epimetheus on August 09, 2011, 04:35:30 PM

I wasn't making an argument - that was actually a joke.
DAMN YOU POE!  :argh!:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: navkat on August 09, 2011, 05:47:57 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2011, 07:13:17 PM

Does it involve dogs playing poker?

Someone was bound to go there and it was bound to be you.

I gotta be me.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: navkat on August 09, 2011, 06:03:32 AM
GOD! Don't be such a jerk!

Jerk.

Um, not to be a jerk myself (I am a paragon of civility, after all), but just where exactly do you think you are?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Since this thread has reached something approaching salvation, I wanted to address the popular misconception that something is only "art" if it's good. This is not the case. It is art if it was created with the intention of being art, even if it's terrible art. And there is such a thing as bad art. Bad art is different from art which is hated, which may be very, very good art indeed, if the intention was to make people upset and angry.

For anyone who is truly unfamiliar with bad art, visit MOBA: http://www.museumofbadart.org/index.php
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on August 09, 2011, 05:14:22 PM
Since this thread has reached something approaching salvation, I wanted to address the popular misconception that something is only "art" if it's good. This is not the case. It is art if it was created with the intention of being art, even if it's terrible art. And there is such a thing as bad art. Bad art is different from art which is hated, which may be very, very good art indeed, if the intention was to make people upset and angry.

For anyone who is truly unfamiliar with bad art, visit MOBA: http://www.museumofbadart.org/index.php

Yes, the famous Belgian artist Jan Oort turned the field of bad art into his very own mileu, back in the dadaist period.  Unfortunately, he got blamed for comet impacts and was killed in World War I, along with all the other dadaist masters.
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 09, 2011, 04:33:09 PM
ECH, sure thing :) I knew I should have tried a Grolsch from the USA supermarkets when I was there ...

Additionally, I don't like the proper Heineken here that much either. It's not bad, a tad too sweet maybe, and being the largest brand and how it brands itself doesn't help either. Same goes for Amstel, kind of. Except Amstel has a distinctive flavour that I don't like in the first glass but gets better/less noticeable after, while Heineken starts out bland and tends to get worse as you drink more of it.

Do you know why the British like warm beer?

The same people that make their cars make their refrigerators.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 09, 2011, 05:16:40 PM

Yes, the famous Belgian artist Jan Oort turned the field of bad art into his very own mileu, back in the dadaist period.  Unfortunately, he got blamed for comet impacts and was killed in World War I, along with all the other dadaist masters.

:lulz: You, sir, are an artist.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on August 09, 2011, 05:35:11 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 09, 2011, 05:16:40 PM

:lulz: You, sir, are an artist.

Thank you.

And my chosen canvass is America™.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

MOBA is one of my favorite places in Boston, period.  It's so good.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.