News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

London calling

Started by Cain, August 08, 2011, 07:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

Quote from: Telarus on August 09, 2011, 05:40:46 AM
The Impact of the Summer Olympics on its Host City: The Costs Outweigh the Tangible Benefits [April, 2009]
http://digitalcommons.bryant.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1004&context=honors_history&sei-redir=1

ABSTRACT
In the eyes of a host city, the reason to host the Summer Olympic Games has evolved from
shining glory on athletic feats to receiving the perceived benefits from the opportunity. In the
current times, there are a record number of Olympic events generating a demand for the
construction of a larger amount of Games facilities than ever before. However, nations still
vie for the winning bid to host the Olympics in one of their cities. This paper seeks to show
that the costs of hosting the Games outweigh its tangible benefits. In detail, it will look at the
financial, political, and social costs and benefits of hosting the Olympics and examine how
they impact the host city. Then the perceived benefits of hosting the London Olympics will be
examined. Specifically, this paper will show that the costs of hosting the London Olympics
outweigh its tangible benefits, especially in times where the world is in a global recession.

CONCLUSION
After this intense literary review, the overall conclusion is that there are many setbacks to
hosting the Olympics and it seems clear that the actual costs of hosting the Olympics far
outweigh its perceived tangible benefits. Although, it is difficult to trace whether the
Olympics have actually been intangibly beneficial, the opportunity costs of hosting the
Olympics often fail to be accounted for. Furthermore, the other opportunities (ex. Social
programs, healthcare, etc.) would potentially have offered the same or better intangible
benefits as well as tangible ones (financial, social, and/or political).
With an understanding of this conclusion, one would question why the cities continue to host
the Olympics. Arriving at an answer to the question is rather simple; the benefiters of the
Olympics are doing an excellent job covering up the fallacies in the perceived benefits of
hosting the Olympics. As alluded to multiple times already, the parties who bid to host the
Olympics are receiving the majority of the benefits, but not absorbing the brunt of the costs.
These parties, who are generally skilled politicians and businessmen, "sugar coat" the costs to
the taxpaying community, who in turn allow the hosting of the Olympics to continue. Until
the taxpayers and local citizens rise up and take action, cities will continue to host the Games.

The Olympics provide community benefits like local volunteerism, youth education
programs, and funding for community developments and cultural programs. However, if this
were the sole reason that the Olympics were produced, then the government could avoid
hosting the Olympics and rather provide these benefits while spending a great deal less in
taxpayer funds.

tl;dr My senior capstone is going to iterate why the government is pissing away money and thus i'll refuse to show any positive impact it may actually have on citizens & local business.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Da6s

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Da6s

Shitty image is shitty, but it's the only one i've been able to find of the Sony Distribution Center that's burnt to the ground this evening.

I would say this conveys my feelings toward Sony in one image.

Well, my hatred probably burns a lot hotter, and the flames have demons in their midst.

Da6s

Xooxe

:lol:

I've been trying to find raw amateur footage but there isn't much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4pcbiO4flY

Scribbly

What I find interesting are the people saying they knew the guy who got shot by police, and he was a really nice bloke. Youth workers and so on, claiming that he wasn't a drug dealer at all. More and more rumors flying around that this is another Menezes shooting but without even the accusation of terrorism to back it up.

Of course, the copycat riots likely have more to do with the lack of jobs, general anger, and opportunity... but the limp-wristed response from the police is brilliant. Consistently saying it isn't a racial thing, whilst the (original) rioters and local community shout that it very much IS a racial thing... but hey!

Quote from: Met Statement"If anyone feels they have been unfairly treated by police, they are entitled to make a complaint at a police station or online at www.met.police.uk."

I'm sure that's a great comfort to Mark Duggan's family!

I also love this quote from the main BBC page:

Quote from: Hackney Resident"We spoke to looters trying to get home, the only explanation they gave for their behaviour was that they had no money today.

'Excuse me, excuse me Mr. Looter, could you please kindly explain why you are smashing that florist? Hmm?'

:lulz:
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

Yeah, to be honest, my default position of the police when they use lethal force is skepticism anyway, based on past events (shooting a guy carrying a chair leg home, shooting a guy while in bed with his girlfriend, shooting a guy while walking calmly towards a train, giving a guy a heart attack and killing him for walking too close to a protest etc etc), but in this case it seems especially justified.  They claimed to have a number of SO19 officers surrounding him, so obviously he would step out of the car waving a pistol around.  Yeah, that makes perfect sense for a non-drug dealing kid who was widely respected in his community.

Also, the fact we recently discovered tons of police are on the take from the incredibly conservative News of the World, aiding a capital C Conservative political agenda, does nothing to endear them to the ethnic minorities of London.

Pope Pixie Pickle

its kicking off all over the country now. Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, there are rumours that it will kick off in Southampton and the cops are on standby.

Cain

Swote.  Finally looks like we got our "summer of discontent".  Only a year late.  Damn, just checked the BBC.  Bristol, Liverpool and Nottingham as well.

Wait, there was violence in Wembley?  What the fuck?  Did the strawberries and cream get held up somewhere in Croydon?  And Ealing as well?  Shit is serious if its moving into west London.

Manchester seems surprisingly quiet.  I mean, there was some violence there too, but I would've expected that to be the third big flare-up after Birmingham.

Diane Abbott is asking for a London wide curfew to be considered.

Bets on how long before Melanie Phillips declares this a "Muslim uprising" like in Paris 2006?  I say another two days, max.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Was speaking to my Mum about it and we are of the opinion that it's like the 80's riots all over again.

Cain

It also occurs to me we've heard nothing about violence in Glasgow (not an Old Firm match anytime soon, to be fair), Edinburgh or Cardiff.

It couldn't possibly be linked to their local governments doing more to try and stimulate employment and provide for the unemployed, could it?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on August 09, 2011, 11:35:19 AM
Swote.  Finally looks like we got our "summer of discontent".  Only a year late.  Damn, just checked the BBC.  Bristol, Liverpool and Nottingham as well.

Great, that means I have to call dad and make sure he's ok.  :|
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on August 09, 2011, 12:37:58 PM
Most of the violence was in Toxteth, if that helps?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-14453303

I've only been back in contact with him for a couple of months, so I'm not exactly sure where in Liverpool he is. But he does have cousins in Bootle, so I imagine he's not far from there. Probably good to check up on him either way.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cramulus

You know how little news coverage the riots are getting in the states? New York times made it the front page, but most sources are giving it little more than a nod. You might see "riots continue in london" fly through the ticker at the bottom of the screen, but so far there hasn't been a lot of news about it.

heard Cameron on the radio this morning putting on his Serious Daddy voice. Saying that police justice will be swift for the people that have caused this chaos. And that those of you old enough to go to jail will be punished. 

:horrormirth:
it really makes you laugh or cry