News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Who's got the skinny?

Started by Salty, August 08, 2011, 10:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

I've searched around a bit to see whether milk-not fresh, the kind at any grocery store-is bad for humans or not. I haven't drank it in years from when I bought into some PETA bullshit, but would like the extra, easy, cheap protein because I'm trying to put on weight. Everything I've found is either from dairy companies who I don't trust or vegan hippies who I don't trust. Anyone have any science on this?

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Triple Zero

last I read about it, milk isn't particularly good or bad for you, but neither does it make you gain or lose any weight over the long run, regardless of whether you drink skimmed or whole milk. yoghurt is good for you with respect to intestinal bacteria and such, though.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&smid=fb-nytimes

it also contains info on other types of food that make you gain or lose weight.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

I drink milk all the time, when I eat cereal.  Only thing I know is it makes me poomp.

Anna Mae Bollocks

You want extra protein, do Bragg's Liquid Aminos instead of soy sauce. I don't think it's a hippie company, the bottle has a Jesus fish on it somewhere (which is probably worse) but it's good stuff.

As far as gaining weight, I dunno...everybody I know who's trying to do that does supplements like creatine and shit. Probably not good.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Salty

Very interesting article Trip, thanks.

Anna: I know that stuff is very popular in Germany and tastes delicious. It's been awhile since I've had some. Mmm..

Freeky: PPPPOOOOOOOOOOMP.

Things I've heard anecdotally:
"Children can process it but adults cannot, it ferments in their liver."
Uh-huh.

"A doctor of a friend of mine said she shouldn't drink it unless she wanted her cancer to come back."
Ok.

The main thing I hear is that humans aren't meant to ingest it and I want to know if there's any truth to that.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Johnny

Old people are supposed to drink it for calcium.

Its supposed to absorb calcium deteriorating substances in coffee too.

Cheapest protein would be health food stores protein-shake dust-thingy.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Triple Zero

I heard (or read somewhere) that your body doesn't actually absorb the calcium in milk very much, let alone transport it to the right places in your bones. But then, there's so much damn bullshit being said about milk it's hilarious.

And I dunno, working out (gym school) plus protein shakes plus creatine might not even be a terribly bad idea to gain weight. If you do it properly (gym at least 2x/week, drink the shakes at the right time--I heard after workout is best, but research for yourself), the initial effects happen really fast, so you can quit doing it after 6-8 weeks and that's probably not long enough for it being bad for you in whatever way it could be bad for you.

But then, I actually don't know what I'm talking about.

Yoghurt has more protein in it than milk, too. Plus the 10% fat greek yoghurt is delicious.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 10, 2011, 01:43:36 PM
I heard (or read somewhere) that your body doesn't actually absorb the calcium in milk very much, let alone transport it to the right places in your bones. But then, there's so much damn bullshit being said about milk it's hilarious.

And I dunno, working out (gym school) plus protein shakes plus creatine might not even be a terribly bad idea to gain weight. If you do it properly (gym at least 2x/week, drink the shakes at the right time--I heard after workout is best, but research for yourself), the initial effects happen really fast, so you can quit doing it after 6-8 weeks and that's probably not long enough for it being bad for you in whatever way it could be bad for you.

But then, I actually don't know what I'm talking about.

Yoghurt has more protein in it than milk, too. Plus the 10% fat greek yoghurt is delicious.

Physio sister told me to up dairy, eat ice-cream and up the red meat. I also gym and eat that protein stuff (no sure if creatine). I get to gym probably once of twice a week. I am putting on weight. Slowly.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Rumckle

Along with up weight creatine also may have some positive effect on cognition:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1691485/?tool=pubmed
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

navkat

I drink fucktons of skim when I'm trying to drop a couple pounds and it helps...not cause it's magic, just cause the protein and other baloney fills my tummy a little longer than empty carbs and make me crave less other stuff.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS