News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Al Gore responds to fnord

Started by Barum, August 11, 2011, 12:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

Makes perfect sense.  Thanks for the clarification gents.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Cramulus on August 11, 2011, 03:35:40 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 11, 2011, 01:04:22 AM
Fuck Al Gore.  He was in charge of the environment under Clinton and he authorized a ton of new drilling.  Global Warming is real, Al Gore has no interest in solving it, just using it for his own gain.

Is your argument that Al Gore's message should be ignored because he's financially invested in climate change?

My arguement is that solutions he proposes should be examined carefully because when he was in a position to make a huge difference he did not do so.  Cap and Trade, for example, does not strike me as a very good solution to anything.  So basically yes, he's invested both financially and from a reputation standpoint in climate change and has no real interest in making it better.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

PopeTom

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 11, 2011, 06:18:31 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on August 11, 2011, 03:35:40 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 11, 2011, 01:04:22 AM
Fuck Al Gore.  He was in charge of the environment under Clinton and he authorized a ton of new drilling.  Global Warming is real, Al Gore has no interest in solving it, just using it for his own gain.

Is your argument that Al Gore's message should be ignored because he's financially invested in climate change?

My arguement is that solutions he proposes should be examined carefully because when he was in a position to make a huge difference he did not do so.  Cap and Trade, for example, does not strike me as a very good solution to anything.  So basically yes, he's invested both financially and from a reputation standpoint in climate change and has no real interest in making it better.

Kinda this.

Gore's message of 'we need to stop fucking up the environment' is a good message.

It's his solutions that need to be looked as to ensure he isn't just touting them for financial gain.  I'm all for improved nuclear capacity, electric or hybrid cars, supplementing electrical base load with solar, wind, or other forms of clean energy.

Paying for carbon offsets though?  I'm not sure about that.  I've seen it compared to the Vatican selling indulgences and I currently agree.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Cain

You're all idiots.

The only thing that matters if is his arguments are factually correct.  I don't give shit if he's pushing a puppy-raping gold dispenser, so long as he's right.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2011, 06:41:01 PM
You're all idiots.

The only thing that matters if is his arguments are factually correct.  I don't give shit if he's pushing a puppy-raping gold dispenser, so long as he's right.

and if puppy-raping gold dispensers are wrong..

I don't want to be right

hey, at least it's not cats

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

LMNO

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 11, 2011, 06:18:31 PM
when he was in a position to make a huge difference he did not do so. 

In politics, the thing that can get done is usually not the thing that will work the best.

It's not like the VP has a "make it so" button on his desk.

AFK

I think Richard Cheney had one. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2011, 06:41:01 PM
You're all idiots.

This.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."