News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

"Trojan T-Shirts"

Started by Xicked, August 11, 2011, 07:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xicked

This is pretty cool:

From http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,779446,00.html

Fans at a recent right-wing extremist rock festival in Germany thought they were getting free T-shirts that reflected their nationalistic worldview. But after the garment's first wash they discovered otherwise. The original image rinsed away to reveal a hidden message from an activist group.

With a skull-and-crossbones logo and the message "Hardcore Rebels - National and Free," some 250 black T-shirts given away at a recent right-wing extremist rock festival were quickly snapped up. But there was more to the tough-looking image than met the eye.

Once the rightist rockers washed their new shirts, they were dismayed to find an entirely different message: "If your T-shirt can do it, so can you. We'll help to free you from right-wing extremism." The offer, complete with contact information, came from a group called Exit Deutschland, which helps people get out of the neo-Nazi scene.

The group sent their "Trojan T-shirts," disguised as a donation from an anonymous party supporter, to the organizers of the Aug. 6 event, which took place in the Thuringian city of Gera and was sponsored by the right-wing extremist NPD party. Exit Deutschland has been pleased with discussion the initiative prompted in online neo-Nazi forums, co-founder Bernd Wagner told daily Süddeutsche Zeitung on Wednesday

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Phox

:lulz:

That is fucking hilarious.

navkat

Hey, Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?

We need to take up a collection and get our meme...uh, I mean message out there.

Quick! Everbody tithe!

Anna Mae Bollocks

:lulz: This rules. I wonder what they used that washed off like that?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Pæs

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Pope Pixie Pickle

Triple Zero

Awesome.

Earlier I heard they handed them out, but it makes much more sense that they'd send them in as a "donation", I wouldn't have wanted to be there handing out those shirts and it'd have started raining or something ...
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Precious Moments Zalgo

:lulz:

Would have been even better if they had sold the shirts to them, but, yeah, what 000 said.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Placid Dingo

Is it really so effective? Te point isn't to get one up on right wing extremists, it's to get them wantinyour product. So I wonder if the messer itself premieres as effectively as it should. That said, the emotional charge associated with being tricked; surprise or anger, would certainly leave the message remembered well.

Also, what's really impressive is their success at giving a message to their audience, who are specifically those who are most likely to resist the message.

Also, I guess there's a question of if I'm missing the point; is this even aimed at the folk who received the shirts? Or is the media attention the key goal?
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Did you read the article?  :?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

This is fucking GREAT.

Quote from: Placid Dingo on August 15, 2011, 07:27:29 AM
Is it really so effective? Te point isn't to get one up on right wing extremists, it's to get them wantinyour product. So I wonder if the messer itself premieres as effectively as it should. That said, the emotional charge associated with being tricked; surprise or anger, would certainly leave the message remembered well.

Also, what's really impressive is their success at giving a message to their audience, who are specifically those who are most likely to resist the message.

Also, I guess there's a question of if I'm missing the point; is this even aimed at the folk who received the shirts? Or is the media attention the key goal?

False dichotomy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, from the article:

QuoteStill, the initiative to outwit the neo-Nazis is unlikely to prompt immediate re-evaluation of their values, Wagner said. "But our name will be stored in their minds. And when they consider leaving the scene at some point, they will remember us," he told the paper. The group's main goal was to reach young right-wing extremists "in a situation where they would hopefully be alone at home."

QuoteExit Deutschland was founded in 2000 by Wagner, a criminologist, together with Ingo Hasselbach, a former neo-Nazi leader. According to the group's estimates, they have helped some 400 right-wing extremists to escape the scene.

There is value in reading the article before discussing it.