News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

planescape: torment (black isle CRPG)

Started by Scytale Anasûrimbor, January 21, 2011, 05:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scytale Anasûrimbor

anyone played it?

for those that haven't, a bit of info

-infinity engine based, modified AD&D 2E rules, heavily dialogue based
-set in the planescape setting (duh)
-main character is a dude that revives, losing his memories, every time he dies, and ends searching the planes to figure out what the fuck he is and why he can't die, while coming across all the shit his other "incarnations" (ie those versions of himself that had a distinct personality shift after their last death) did, as they've been around for fuck knows how long. REALLY epic shit follows.
-some non-standard game mechanics, most done on purpose, such as no traditional fantasy races, only one sword in the entire game, alignment shifts according to your actions, class switching for the main character (with individual XP pools for each class), and extremely non-standard NPC companions (including but not limited to a floating skull, a celibate succubus and a rogue modron quadrone).

uninspired sig is uninspired

Cainad (dec.)

Heard a lot about it, but never got to play it.

However, your forum name, "Anasûrimbor", leads me to believe you've read the Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker. Is this so?

Reginald Ret

Played it.
Loved it.
Never noticed the one sword thing, but now that you point it out: cool!
I like how every alignment/plane has it's crazies.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Scytale Anasûrimbor

@cainad: yup. gotta love the dunyain :p (although i only used the name because i had just read the books and needed a fake name to be invisible to certain people in facebook)

@regret: yup, you use it to cut someone's chains at a certain point, and then more epic shit happens  :lulz:

uninspired sig is uninspired

Cain

Bought this a couple of months ago, but got sidetracked by Dragon Age: Origins.

Have fully modded it for my laptop though, and I hear it runs on Windows 7 mostly fine, so, we'll see how it goes.

Apparently, there are two schools of thought on Planescape: Torment.  The first school of thought says it is best written CRPG of all time.  The second school of thought says the first school are wrong, and that it's actually the greatest existentialist novel of all time, masquerading as a computer game.

Given what I know about it (the main character, the Nameless One, wakes up with no memory, that his alignment changes throughout the game due to his actions and that it is set on the planes, where ideas can be as dangerous as reality) the existentialist charge seems a quite accurate one.

Also, unusually for a CRPG, your wisdom, charisma and intelligence matter a LOT more than they do in similar games, to the point that you gain more experience for high wisdom, and high wisdom, intelligence and charisma give you a much wider range of options when it comes to dialogue...which the game seems to have plenty of.