Dark Planet

Started by Cuddlefish, August 15, 2011, 06:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on August 15, 2011, 08:58:33 PM
Quote from: Cudgelfish on August 15, 2011, 08:47:20 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 15, 2011, 08:40:55 PM
Also, who needs a spaceship?

Time is already all elastic and stretchy.

But that slingshot aint gonna pull itself, you need a moving object to stretch it. You need a much faster moving object to stretch it to the point where you see any significant change. It's all about the reference frame.

Why didn't you and I become legit scientists? /rhetorical question

Heh. Well, that's sort of my goal. I've always been interested in space (astronomy, cosmology, etc.), but until recently I've been using the excuse "I can't do math, let alone the math needed for this feild" which was a horse-shit claim I made to avoid having to work towards knowledge. I'm happier now, for having expanded my view of reality to include the language of numbers, and my understanding of the cosmos (Earth included) has expanded due to this.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cudgelfish on August 15, 2011, 09:23:35 PM

But that slingshot aint gonna pull itself, you need a moving object to stretch it. You need a much faster moving object to stretch it to the point where you see any significant change. It's all about the reference frame.

Heh. Well, that's sort of my goal. I've always been interested in space (astronomy, cosmology, etc.), but until recently I've been using the excuse "I can't do math, let alone the math needed for this feild" which was a horse-shit claim I made to avoid having to work towards knowledge. I'm happier now, for having expanded my view of reality to include the language of numbers, and my understanding of the cosmos (Earth included) has expanded due to this.

Hmmm. You and I have more in common than I thought.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on August 15, 2011, 09:26:53 PM

You can't mix Irish and Italian.

The result puts a hit out on itself.
Molon Lube

Cuddlefish

It's a tough nut to crack, though. Automatically included in the study of space are things like geology, quantum physics, meteorology, chemistry, etc.

Not to mention the area in which I'd like to study the most, the potential of life in space (other forms of life, as well as human life in space) relies heavily on other things, such as organic chemistry and the such.

It's a long row to hoe, but, for me, the pay off is worth it.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 15, 2011, 09:28:20 PM

Oh my fuck...  :lulz: :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Talk to half of the girls I knew in High School.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cudgelfish on August 15, 2011, 09:33:56 PM
It's a tough nut to crack, though. Automatically included in the study of space are things like geology, quantum physics, meteorology, chemistry, etc.

Not to mention the area in which I'd like to study the most, the potential of life in space (other forms of life, as well as human life in space) relies heavily on other things, such as organic chemistry and the such.

It's a long row to hoe, but, for me, the pay off is worth it.

While I would like to see it and communicate with it, I think I'm more of a stars and planets sort of guy. Like, whoa, this planet's weird, lets learn more about it. (And develop non-time dilating FTL to boot)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on August 15, 2011, 09:37:15 PM

I can't.  :(

I don't speak Italaec.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 15, 2011, 11:11:40 PM

I don't speak Italaec.

Theyahz only one langwidge round heeya, and that's Bahstin.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 15, 2011, 11:11:40 PM

I don't speak Italaec.

Isn't that merely a series of grunts and whistles?

Telarus

Ahahaha. +Tuscan, so I get the crazy hair ++tuscan.afro(after 4 weeks).  :argh!:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Telarus

On the subject, very cool find.

I have to agree on the math, as well. Definitely have a different appreciation for art now that I can pin rough values on all the, say, bounced light in painting vs whitepoint vs shadow if I wanted to. Recognition of techniques (and use of...) gets easier too.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Rumckle

Quote from: Cudgelfish on August 15, 2011, 06:53:13 PM
I'm curious what a few hundered thousand of these guys floating around the galaxy does to the calculations determining the amount of dark matter in the galaxy. Probably not much, but either way, it's definitelty something to keep in mind every time you start to think about the over-all weirdness of the universe. 

Yeah, I would doubt it would do much, not only because it is small, but being at about 1300K and a very good absorber, it probably would emit some black-body radiation in the IR region.

Still, very cool. My favourite things about exo-planets is finding ones that are completely different to those in our solar system.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Elder Iptuous

Perhaps the entire surface is covered in a highly efficient solar energy collecting system for use by its inhabitants.
:)

also, i find it interesting that this article mentions one of the light absorbing constituents of its atmosphere to be gaseous titanium oxide, considering that the titanium oxide i am familiar with is such a bright white...

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Rumckle on August 16, 2011, 12:42:20 PM
Quote from: Cudgelfish on August 15, 2011, 06:53:13 PM
I'm curious what a few hundered thousand of these guys floating around the galaxy does to the calculations determining the amount of dark matter in the galaxy. Probably not much, but either way, it's definitelty something to keep in mind every time you start to think about the over-all weirdness of the universe. 

Yeah, I would doubt it would do much, not only because it is small, but being at about 1300K and a very good absorber, it probably would emit some black-body radiation in the IR region.

Yeah, I think it said in the article that it did give off some faint light "like an ember in a fireplace." I guess what I meant to say was, if the materials that compose the surface of the planet are blacker than any known black, that opens up the possibility of other objects having the same or similar composition that aren't orbiting a star, that would be practically invisible to our methods of detection. Even still, it probably wouldn't account for a sliver of all the dark matter in the galaxy. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it, TBH.