News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Wake the Fuck Up, part II of V

Started by Doktor Howl, August 15, 2011, 11:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

John Luther "Casey" Jones (March 14, 1863 – April 30, 1900) was a Goddamn rock n roller.  He was famed for being the fastest engineer in the Midwest, and he was comsumed with ways to go faster (bear in mind that during his lifetime, the maximum speed attainable was about 90MPH, so you can understand his frustration).  On April 30th, 1900, he started an hour behind, and making up time at about 80MPH in the middle of the night.

At the town of Vahaugn there was a traffic jam up on the rails, accompanied by a dense fog.  Jones' Fireman, Simeon T. Webb, who had a better view than he did, hollered at one curve,"Oh my Lord, there's something on the main line!".  Casey was, of course, determined to take things to the wall.  "JUMP, ETHEL!" he hollered1.  Webb jumped off 300 feet before impact, and was knocked unconscious.  

Casey hit the wall, whistle blaring, and went into legend (Well, he actually went into the boiler, but why quibble over details?).  On the plus side, he was at this point only 2 minutes behind schedule, which is nothing to sneeze at.  So, yeah, he DID supposedly die, but he left a HELL of an impression on Mississippi (according to Wikipedia, the imprint of his locomotive was clearly visible in the adjacent embankment for 10 years after the wreck).  And at some point just prior to the wreck, someone fired torpedoes at him2, but he STILL made it to the wall.

Some say he was killed by a wooden splinter through the head, some say a bolt through the neck, others say he was scalded to death by the steam.  You know what I say?

I say "Who cares?"  The man knew the same craving for speed that I feel more or less all the time.  He knew about "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead".  He knew about rock n roll, and he'd never have put up with shit like we see today.  He'd have run a motherfucker down, then hit his stop - on time - to pick up Elvis and Hank and Roy Orbison.

And they'd have gone full blast, right for the wall.

Okay for now,
Dok

1  Webb was testing his personal boundaries, and would only answer to "Ethel".  We're not here to judge.

2  For real.  Check the wikipedia page, under "Illinois Central Railroad report on accident".  Some bastard fired torpedoes at him, but the were unable to sink his locomotive.

Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Holy shit, it's real and not a bunch of lore...

FUCKIN A.  :D
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Awesome.

Why the hell didn't I learn this in sch- Ah nevermind, sort of figured that out myself.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Don Coyote

Freeky

Torpedoes?  Don't they need water to be torpedoes?  And be able to move?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on August 16, 2011, 12:53:52 AM

This was back in the old days, you see, when torpedoes still had wheels.
Molon Lube

Freeky

This would be back in the year dot, yes? :lulz:

Either way, the story itself is amazing, and the rant is top-quality.  :mittens:

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 16, 2011, 01:03:37 AM

Before or after water was in beta test?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: COL Coyote on August 16, 2011, 01:43:03 AM

The beta was when they had a horse drag it.

Not popular with the cowboys.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 16, 2011, 02:02:18 AM
Quote from: COL Coyote on August 16, 2011, 01:43:03 AM

The beta was when they had a horse drag it.

Not popular with the cowboys.

Why? They were refusing to use good American Bovine labor in the early stages of anti-railway warfare?

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Luna on August 16, 2011, 03:42:00 AM
Awesome tale, Dok. 

It really happened.

And it was the only time "Too Soon Klaus" missed with a torpedo.

He went on to sink the Titanic, which was hushed up with some cock & bull story about an iceberg.  As if ice could hurt steel.  Use a hammer on some ice sometime.  The ice loses.
Molon Lube

Luna

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 16, 2011, 03:43:50 AM
Quote from: Luna on August 16, 2011, 03:42:00 AM
Awesome tale, Dok. 

It really happened.

And it was the only time "Too Soon Klaus" missed with a torpedo.

He went on to sink the Titanic, which was hushed up with some cock & bull story about an iceberg.  As if ice could hurt steel.  Use a hammer on some ice sometime.  The ice loses.

Of course, I took it for absolute troof, the Dok would not lead me astray with a false history lesson.   :)

Klaus didn't MEAN to sink the Titanic, you know...  He was just trying to shoot these fuckers off the bow...

An admirable goal, with somewhat unexpected consequences.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Doktor Howl

No, Klaus ALWAYS jumped the gun.  "Wait until 1914 before you attack", they said.

But did he listen?  Of course not.
Molon Lube