News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Perry: Government you can TRUST.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 17, 2011, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on September 06, 2011, 04:40:13 PM
Quote from: Hawk on September 06, 2011, 04:35:46 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on September 06, 2011, 04:31:22 PM
I'm not arguing for intelligent Design, it's a fundamentally flawed approach.  But it is distinctly different from creationism in that they aren't saying everything is the way it is because made it that way in the beginning.  It allows for the modification of species and assumes genetic inheritance in the same way that evolutionary theory does.  The difference is where the modifications in genetic inheritance come from, to a Darwinian they are the result of random mutation and survival of the fittest, to an ID advocate they are the result of god's hand.

It's basically an attempt by Christians to explain why you can't experience the invisible dragon in any way other than sight, without resorting to silly stuff like "god put dinosaur bones underground that appear to be millions of years old just to trick you"  not that the idea of god tinkering with dna is all that much less silly, but it is silly in a more subtle way.

Bullshit. The story of Cain finding a wife among the others automatically disputes your claim. I can counter the myth with another one, that there was more than one creator and they were in a pissing contest and each made people. One wasn't arrogant enough to claim perfection right out of the clay and allowed people to evolve at a normal pace. Where does that leave us?

huh?  I think you are talking right past me.  Cain finding a wife east of Eden counters the creationist theory, it doesn't really touch ID.  ID isn't an origin theory, it's an evolutionary one, focusing on how things develop and how they are developing.

:facepalm:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Don Coyote

Honestly, you guys want rational discourse from murderraper? :lulz:

Adios

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on September 06, 2011, 04:40:13 PM
I'm not arguing for intelligent Design, it's a fundamentally flawed approach.  But it is distinctly different from creationism in that they aren't saying everything is the way it is because made it that way in the beginning.  It allows for the modification of species and assumes genetic inheritance in the same way that evolutionary theory does.  The difference is where the modifications in genetic inheritance come from, to a Darwinian they are the result of random mutation and survival of the fittest, to an ID advocate they are the result of god's hand.

It's basically an attempt by Christians to explain why you can't experience the invisible dragon in any way other than sight, without resorting to silly stuff like "god put dinosaur bones underground that appear to be millions of years old just to trick you"  not that the idea of god tinkering with dna is all that much less silly, but it is silly in a more subtle way.

Bullshit. The story of Cain finding a wife among the others automatically disputes your claim. I can counter the myth with another one, that there was more than one creator and they were in a pissing contest and each made people. One wasn't arrogant enough to claim perfection right out of the clay and allowed people to evolve at a normal pace. Where does that leave us?

huh?  I think you are talking right past me.  Cain finding a wife east of Eden counters the creationist theory, it doesn't really touch ID.  ID isn't an origin theory, it's an evolutionary one, focusing on how things develop and how they are developing.

Check, so that leaves us with interspecies procreation.

Adios

Quote from: Donald Coyote on September 06, 2011, 04:45:47 PM

Not really, I just got tired of the bullshit claim that they were different things.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Hawk on September 06, 2011, 04:48:50 PM

Not really, I just got tired of the bullshit claim that they were different things.

They are different things.  How does Cain finding a wife have anything at all to do with the theory that god effects evolution in an active way?

You are insisting on conflating creationism, which is an origin theory, with ID which is an evolutionary theory and that means that if you get into a debate with someone who actually believes in ID you will come off as ignorant.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Juana

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on September 06, 2011, 04:17:18 PM
Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on September 04, 2011, 12:34:33 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 31, 2011, 02:48:42 PM
My dad used to say, "The entire field of biology, with all it's advancements, discoveries, and innovations, is ultimately based on evolution.  There is no meaningful argument against evolutionary theory."

I dunno if that's precisely true (paging Kai), but it makes a lot of sense.  Science is connected.  If you deny evolution, you have to re-explain everything that's been built off of it.

It is. Frankly, there wasn't biology before 1859. Once we knew that species changed over time, and that the mechanism was natural selection, life started to make sense. After the Mendelian and molecular revolutions, it /really/ started to make sense, because then we not only knew how changes occurred, but where inherited variation originated (i.e. DNA).

The great geneticist Theodosius Dobzansky said, "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution", and he was a theist. It's basically like claiming geocentrism is the best supported cosmological model. It's /way/ out there. Any biologist who doesn't accept it...wait, lets put it this way. A person who doesn't accept decent with modification cannot be a biologist in any real sense of the word. It's that essential.

This is why the difference between creationism and intelligent design matters.

Intelligent design includes descent with modification.  Creationism does not.
Oh my fucking god, BH! Give it up already! It's creationism dressed up in a lab coat. End of goddamn story.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Adios

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on September 06, 2011, 05:01:35 PM

They are different things.  How does Cain finding a wife have anything at all to do with the theory that god effects evolution in an active way?

You are insisting on conflating creationism, which is an origin theory, with ID which is an evolutionary theory and that means that if you get into a debate with someone who actually believes in ID you will come off as ignorant.

Okay, you just crossed a line pal. Now, go fuck yourself you ignorant ass. If anyone is conflating anything it is you and your ignorant defense of attempting to separate ID from creationism.

LMNO

Can we get Cain and Kai back in here, and ignore BH?  I preferred what was happening in this thread before the creationist spoke up.

PopeTom

Quote from: Cramulus on September 06, 2011, 02:45:46 PM
Prophecy:

Economic and social sciences finally discover functional scientific models.

This creates a tribe of "folk economists" who prefer the old methods and ignore the contemporary scientific findings. Economic homeopaths, if you will.

I'm sorry but I only practice organic economics.  I'm thinking if all goes well then next year I'll experiment with raw organic economics to see if it's as viable and healthy as I think it is.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

PopeTom

Quote from: Cain on September 06, 2011, 04:38:22 PM
I'm not arguing for intelligent Design, it's a fundamentally flawed approach.  But it is distinctly different from creationism in that they aren't saying everything is the way it is because made it that way in the beginning.  It allows for the modification of species and assumes genetic inheritance in the same way that evolutionary theory does.  The difference is where the modifications in genetic inheritance come from, to a Darwinian they are the result of random mutation and survival of the fittest, to an ID advocate they are the result of god's hand.

It's basically an attempt by Christians to explain why you can't experience the invisible dragon in any way other than sight, without resorting to silly stuff like "god put dinosaur bones underground that appear to be millions of years old just to trick you"  not that the idea of god tinkering with dna is all that much less silly, but it is silly in a more subtle way.

Uh, I wasn't informed of this....

Quit yer bitching and spread your seed to the four corners of the earth!!!!

:argh!:
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 06, 2011, 05:11:13 PM
Can we get Cain and Kai back in here, and ignore BH?  I preferred what was happening in this thread before the creationist spoke up.

This.

How long are you guys going to pay attention to that asshole?
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 06, 2011, 06:59:59 PM

This.

:mittens:

Tune his ass out. It works.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Hawk on September 06, 2011, 05:08:44 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on September 06, 2011, 05:01:35 PM

Okay, you just crossed a line pal. Now, go fuck yourself you ignorant ass. If anyone is conflating anything it is you and your ignorant defense of attempting to separate ID from creationism.

ook ook
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 06, 2011, 06:59:59 PM

This.

I'm done.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."