News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

What the shit is all of this?

Started by Surround, August 19, 2011, 04:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omnihil

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 03:12:45 AM
Quote from: omnihil on March 31, 2014, 03:06:10 AM
This is, at least, the reason I perceive that most Discordians agree that Eris (Goddess of Chaos) is the ultimate law.

It was good of you to explain who Eris is, otherwise I might have been confused.

:bow: :) Indeed, I suppose this was mainly aimed at the OP of this discussion, asking what the shit this all was

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: omnihil on March 31, 2014, 11:51:39 PM
This is, at least, the reason I perceive that most Discordians agree that Eris (Goddess of Chaos) is the ultimate law.

It was good of you to explain who Eris is, otherwise I might have been confused.

:bow: :) Indeed, I suppose this was mainly aimed at the OP of this discussion, asking what the shit this all was

No worries.  I'm just an asshat.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

omnihil

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 31, 2014, 12:12:25 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 03:13:10 AM
Quote from: omnihil on March 31, 2014, 03:12:10 AM
There are things beyond our comprehension, and when you're okay with that, it's a good start.

Name one.

Well played, sir.

I agree, this is a tricky situation, because the moment I begin trying to answer that, we all become dangerously close to comprehending the thing I'm explaining as incomprehensible.  Perhaps the better way to make that point, is to say that there is always a possible reality that contradicts our perception of reality while simultaneously explaining why we perceive what we perceive as real.  For my typical over-referenced analogy that illustrates this, The Matrix film is a concept where our very thoughts are information fed to us from an external source. 

Another example could be, the logical checkmates we run into with science, such as the unsolved mysteries in atomic theory, the even more confusing situations in quantum theory, and things that seem to operate on pure chaos but are most likely just an extremely complicated order that is, well, beyond our comprehension...such as the behavioral patterns of a lightening bolt.  We know it's (for the most part) that it's a passing of positive to negative charges in the environment, but is there an explanation to the shape of the lightening bolt itself? Is it just the artwork of the Universe? Why a jagged line instead of a curvy line?

Another example would be the logic behind the pattern of black and white pixels on a television with no signal.  We call it snow, and accept that definition and nobody really cares much about what TV snow is, but is there a logic behind the rapid black and white, on and off nature of all those pixels? I know it can be traced to 1's and 0's of electricity, but why that precise pattern of randomness, instead of say, a different pattern of randomness?  The pattern that we witness from a TV with no signal can in fact be described and explained by an intelligence of some kind, but where's that map at? 

omnihil

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 11:55:40 PM
Quote from: omnihil on March 31, 2014, 11:51:39 PM

No worries.  I'm just an asshat.

Me too

Pæs

So by "beyond our comprehension" do you mean "I don't yet know this thing" or do you think that we will never know how lightning behaves?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: omnihil on April 01, 2014, 12:04:04 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 31, 2014, 12:12:25 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 03:13:10 AM
Quote from: omnihil on March 31, 2014, 03:12:10 AM
There are things beyond our comprehension, and when you're okay with that, it's a good start.

Name one.

Well played, sir.

I agree, this is a tricky situation, because the moment I begin trying to answer that, we all become dangerously close to comprehending the thing I'm explaining as incomprehensible.  Perhaps the better way to make that point, is to say that there is always a possible reality that contradicts our perception of reality while simultaneously explaining why we perceive what we perceive as real.  For my typical over-referenced analogy that illustrates this, The Matrix film is a concept where our very thoughts are information fed to us from an external source. 

And a bloody good thing, too.  I mean, live in a dream world, or some horrible nuclear winter where people rave when they should be growing food?  YOU DECIDE.

QuoteAnother example could be, the logical checkmates we run into with science, such as the unsolved mysteries in atomic theory, the even more confusing situations in quantum theory, and things that seem to operate on pure chaos but are most likely just an extremely complicated order that is, well, beyond our comprehension...such as the behavioral patterns of a lightening bolt.  We know it's (for the most part) that it's a passing of positive to negative charges in the environment, but is there an explanation to the shape of the lightening bolt itself? Is it just the artwork of the Universe? Why a jagged line instead of a curvy line?

Balls.  Absolute rubbish.  "We haven't figured it out yet" does not mean "logical checkmates" or "unsolvable".

QuoteAnother example would be the logic behind the pattern of black and white pixels on a television with no signal.  We call it snow, and accept that definition and nobody really cares much about what TV snow is, but is there a logic behind the rapid black and white, on and off nature of all those pixels? I know it can be traced to 1's and 0's of electricity, but why that precise pattern of randomness, instead of say, a different pattern of randomness?  The pattern that we witness from a TV with no signal can in fact be described and explained by an intelligence of some kind, but where's that map at?

If you can find meaning behind TV static, then odds are really good that you're going to spend a lot of time either under observation or under a bridge.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on April 01, 2014, 12:08:32 AM
So by "beyond our comprehension" do you mean "I don't yet know this thing" or do you think that we will never know how lightning behaves?

Lightning will never be understood.  Much like magnets.  Never will be explained.

The Good Reverend Roger

The shape certainly isn't dictated by varying humidity causing different layers of resistance to the flow of valence electrons.

Pæs

why that precise pattern of randomness, instead of say, a different pattern of randomness?

Solid gold.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on April 01, 2014, 12:12:35 AM
why that precise pattern of randomness, instead of say, a different pattern of randomness?

Solid gold.

Why is New Zealand? 

Because it isn't Bermuda.

Pæs

omnihil

Ok, well now that we're on that page for a moment, here is something else that is worth a though or two:

For quick briefing, in mathematics, there is a concept of asymptotes, in which a graphed equation will get closer and closer to a line without ever touching it.  I wrote down an idea where Chaos is only an asymptote, nothing is ever truly Random, it just appears random due to the complexity behind it's pattern.  In this writing, I mentioned that Chaos is the asymptote on an order with an INFINITE complexity. 

To draw this out with examples some more, a line drawn from Point A to Point B is a pattern of simple complexity, and we can comprehend it with our current IQ's.  A slightly more complicated pattern would be a line from Point A to Point B to ... Point Y to Point Z.  A much more interesting line, yet we can all still see it and understand it.  Pump that complexity up a whole lot more, and you have things like say, a hammer.  It's an arrangement of matter that we use to hammer things, and with a simple demonstration most men and monkeys can understand how to grab and use a hammer.  Increase complexity, and we have automobiles, computers, software designs, and engineering technology.  Now, we're getting into the field where some people understand exactly how these things work, but many of us just understand that they do work on some vague principles, not quite fully comprehending it.  That's not to say that we couldn't learn how it works entirely, but arguably some of those sciences reach a complexity that is beyond certain people's IQ's. 

Now, with this idea rolling, what I'm getting at is, there's no reason to believe that there are patterns of order out there that appear Chaotic simply because they are made from a complexity of patterns beyond our recognition.  And in this theory, True Chaos is the same thing as an Order with Infinite Complexity.  Infinity itself is hard to pin down, therefore not truly taking away from the nature of Chaos.  It just makes one scratch there head when they try to fathom exactly what a pattern of Infinite Complexity would be exactly, is this where ideas such as Choice come into play? Does infinite complexity mean unpredictable?  As in, a pattern that rewrites itself indefinitely? Eventually, I get a headache thinking about what roles thought, choice, awareness, etc play in that theory.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: omnihil on April 01, 2014, 12:26:25 AM
Ok, well now that we're on that page for a moment, here is something else that is worth a though or two:

For quick briefing, in mathematics, there is a concept of asymptotes, in which a graphed equation will get closer and closer to a line without ever touching it.  I wrote down an idea where Chaos is only an asymptote, nothing is ever truly Random, it just appears random due to the complexity behind it's pattern.  In this writing, I mentioned that Chaos is the asymptote on an order with an INFINITE complexity. 

Absolute crap.  Below the atomic level, you get true random behavior.  That was the whole point of the Schroedinger's cat experiment.

QuoteTo draw this out with examples some more, a line drawn from Point A to Point B is a pattern of simple complexity, and we can comprehend it with our current IQ's.

Speak for yourself; I am an idiot.

QuoteA slightly more complicated pattern would be a line from Point A to Point B to ... Point Y to Point Z.  A much more interesting line, yet we can all still see it and understand it.  Pump that complexity up a whole lot more, and you have things like say, a hammer.  It's an arrangement of matter that we use to hammer things, and will a simple demonstration most men and monkeys can understand how to grab and use a hammer.  Increase complexity, and we have automobiles, computers, software designs, and engineering technology.  Now, we're getting into the field where some people understand exactly how these things work, but many of us just understand that they do work on some vague principles, not quite fully comprehending it.  That's not to say that we couldn't learn how it works entirely, but arguably some of those sciences reach a complexity that is beyond certain people's IQ's. 

Smells like Xeno's paradox in a funny dress.

QuoteNow, with this idea rolling, what I'm getting at is, there's no reason to believe that there are patterns of order out there that appear Chaotic simply because they a made from a complexity of patterns beyond our recognition.  And in this theory, True Chaos is the same thing as an Order with Infinite Complexity.  Infinity itself is hard to pin down, therefore not truly taking away from the nature of Chaos.  It just makes one scratch there head when they try to fathom exactly what a pattern of Infinite Complexity would be exactly, is this where ideas such as Choice come into play? Does infinite complexity mean unpredictable?  As in, a pattern that rewrites itself indefinitely? Eventually, I get a headache thinking about what roles thought, choice, awareness, etc play in that theory.

Nope.  Below the atomic level, there is no underlying order.  It's offensive, but all of quantum physics is offensive.

omnihil

Touche

There's really nothing I can do to argue with you on it.  I'm just a mind with this idea, and you're a mind believing that random behavior is truly random.  As long as mysteries exist, all facts are up for grabs

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: omnihil on April 01, 2014, 12:32:02 AM
Touche

There's really nothing I can do to argue with you on it.  I'm just a mind with this idea, and you're a mind believing that random behavior is truly random.  As long as mysteries exist, all facts are up for grabs

I got mysteries.

Like "How come just last week, I was lean and sexy, and suddenly I'm old and horrible?"

And "What the hell did I just crap out?  It looks kind of important."