News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

What the shit is all of this?

Started by Surround, August 19, 2011, 04:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 01, 2014, 09:52:51 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 01, 2014, 09:51:17 PM
What's an SJW?

Social Justice Warrior.  tumblr/Garbo/etc.  It conveys the meaning without soiling the more respectable "feminist", LGBT activist", etc.

Not sure where I heard the term.  Here, I think.

Oh, yeah, I think it's a Tumblr term. Never really seen it outside of Tumblr so it didn't register.

Those people in particular... well, anyone with a Cause, really... hate to be told that you don't care about their Cause and that you don't want to talk about it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on April 01, 2014, 09:53:54 PM
I know people (atheists) who consider the god question the most important idea you can consider... which seems pretty depressing to me.

Sweet fuck, yes, that is depressing.

"Hey, this thing that we believe doesn't exist is THE MOST IMPORTANT IDEA".

:kingmeh:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Nigel on April 01, 2014, 09:57:17 PM
I know people (atheists) who consider the god question the most important idea you can consider... which seems pretty depressing to me.

Hail Eris?

:lol:
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on April 01, 2014, 09:59:16 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 01, 2014, 09:57:17 PM

Hail Eris?

:lol:

:lulz:

Junkenstein

I don't think there's a more accurate modern day way to describe the tar baby syndrome. It seems many these days are defined by what they attack more than anything else.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 02, 2014, 10:06:30 AM
I don't think there's a more accurate modern day way to describe the tar baby syndrome. It seems many these days are defined by what they attack more than anything else.

Ohhh, funny, I never made that connection!

hooplala

Quote from: StandBackJack on March 28, 2014, 01:09:41 AM
If you took a bong to the services would that be like a Wake and Bake?

Yeah, seems fitting that you believe the average pothead would toke a bong at a funeral.  Asshole.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Pæs

Quote from: Hoopla on April 03, 2014, 12:19:52 AM
Quote from: StandBackJack on March 28, 2014, 01:09:41 AM
If you took a bong to the services would that be like a Wake and Bake?

Yeah, seems fitting that you believe the average pothead would toke a bong at a funeral.  Asshole.
Puns. Check.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: omnihil on April 01, 2014, 07:47:26 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 01, 2014, 02:55:18 PM
Quantum physics is non-intuitive.  The math works, predictions from experiments are confirmed, theories are validated. 

That doesn't mean it makes the same kind of sense that Newtonian physics does.  Things don't make "sense" in the traditional... um... sense.

Maybe we can look at it this way -- the probability field IS.  That's the way it works in QuantumLand.  But to us up here in MacroWorld, it's confusing as hell, and the only word we have for it is "random".
^^^
This is essentially what I was saying in more a more technical and scholarly wording.  It is not truly random, but extremely complex, possibly beyond our comprehension.  Levels of sophisticated physics at extremely microscopic levels are EXTREMELY complex and unpredictable at times.  I'm saying that patterns are capable of become increasingly complex, onward towards infinity, in a way where they will eventually transcend any conscious minds ability to perceive it's mechanics.  Chaos being that asymptote of an infinitely complex model of reality, that is only possibly perceived by a being of infinite IQ, or a godlike entity by definition of the word, omniscient. 

Have you ever seen the documentary "What the Bleep do we Know?".  It talks a lot about quantum mechanics, and also the influence of mind on reality.  For instance, electrons passed through a filter behaved differently depending on whether or not they were being observed while passing through the filter.  The very act of observing, or adding consciousness to the equation, changed the behavior of the electrons.  They also used "hard concentration" on certain outcomes to influence probable outcomes on seemingly random events.  Mind over matter kinda stuff.  It's a fun and interesting watch

There are some really good critiques of What the Bleep out there if you care to look at it critically. Digging through them can prove very illuminating.

To me, mind over mind is a much more useful line of thought than mind over matter. Even presuming we could influence reality by just thinking real hard at it, if our head's are still full of shit, the only outcome that "power" could possible have is to manifest a reality based on our shit.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on April 06, 2014, 12:54:21 AM
Quote from: omnihil on April 01, 2014, 07:47:26 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 01, 2014, 02:55:18 PM
Quantum physics is non-intuitive.  The math works, predictions from experiments are confirmed, theories are validated. 

That doesn't mean it makes the same kind of sense that Newtonian physics does.  Things don't make "sense" in the traditional... um... sense.

Maybe we can look at it this way -- the probability field IS.  That's the way it works in QuantumLand.  But to us up here in MacroWorld, it's confusing as hell, and the only word we have for it is "random".
^^^
This is essentially what I was saying in more a more technical and scholarly wording.  It is not truly random, but extremely complex, possibly beyond our comprehension.  Levels of sophisticated physics at extremely microscopic levels are EXTREMELY complex and unpredictable at times.  I'm saying that patterns are capable of become increasingly complex, onward towards infinity, in a way where they will eventually transcend any conscious minds ability to perceive it's mechanics.  Chaos being that asymptote of an infinitely complex model of reality, that is only possibly perceived by a being of infinite IQ, or a godlike entity by definition of the word, omniscient. 

Have you ever seen the documentary "What the Bleep do we Know?".  It talks a lot about quantum mechanics, and also the influence of mind on reality.  For instance, electrons passed through a filter behaved differently depending on whether or not they were being observed while passing through the filter.  The very act of observing, or adding consciousness to the equation, changed the behavior of the electrons.  They also used "hard concentration" on certain outcomes to influence probable outcomes on seemingly random events.  Mind over matter kinda stuff.  It's a fun and interesting watch

There are some really good critiques of What the Bleep out there if you care to look at it critically. Digging through them can prove very illuminating.

To me, mind over mind is a much more useful line of thought than mind over matter. Even presuming we could influence reality by just thinking real hard at it, if our head's are still full of shit, the only outcome that "power" could possible have is to manifest a reality based on our shit.

Well stated. In fact, as one of my neuroscience buddies is fond of pointing out, mind=matter.