News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Quick question for RAW fans

Started by Epimetheus, August 20, 2011, 01:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 23, 2011, 04:53:41 PM
Quote from: Epimetheus on August 20, 2011, 01:57:24 AM
How is "sombunall" more effective than "some?"

For the same reason RAH junkies use "grok".

So they can have a hip, insider language.

No man, you just don't like grok the grok man.

Cramulus

Grok is Heinlein, not

ah nevermind

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Epimetheus on August 20, 2011, 01:57:24 AM
How is "sombunall" more effective than "some?"

Perhaps it's a trap for the lazy and conformist where instead of applying the concept in your own way, suckers will use the word "sombunall". Which is funny because the whole point was to add clarity to your language and thought, not to come off as pedantic, confusing, or jargony.

I'm starting to think RAW's other recommendation about merely swapping out "is" for "seems to be" may have been a practical joke as well. It may be an effective way to embarrass lazy people--offer an easy word swap that appears to be the change that the concept in question prescribes, when it just isn't that simple and calls for a lot more creativity and effort.

You can't overcome believing in the "all-ness" of a perception with "sombunall" in place of "some" and you're not going to master e-prime with "seems to be" in place of "is". But you will look funny while you try to.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Triple Zero

SOMEBUNAL PEOPLE SEEM TO MASTER E-PRIME JUST FINE IN SOME SENSE

SOMEBUNAL KNOWN FACT: IN SOME SENSE YOU NOT ONLY SEEM TO NEED TO SEEM TO USE "TO SEEM" SEEMINGLY (IN SOMEBUNAL SENSE) BUT AS SOON AS YOU SEEM TO WRITE E-PRIME IN MOSBUNALL-CAPS YOU SEEM TO GET INSTANT (IN SOME SENSE) ENLIGHTENMENT AND MASTERY IN SOME SENSE MOSBUNALL MAYBE
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.