News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Maybe there's hope...

Started by Luna, August 21, 2011, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Yeah, I'm an optimist, sometimes.  Don't worry, life is working on beating that out of me.

But, came across two articles this morning that give me hope for humanity.  A little, anyway.

The state of Illinois kicked Catholic Charities in the teeth.  The court ruled that the state can cancel year-to-year contracts with them (that have been in place for 30 years) because they refuse to place children in homes with same-sex couples.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/20/catholic-charities-illinois-adoption_n_931893.html

And, a court ruled that a California teacher who stated that creationism is "superstitious nonsense" can not be sued for violating the First Amendment.

Quote"In broaching controversial issues like religion, teachers must be sensitive to students' personal beliefs and take care not to abuse their positions of authority," Judge Fisher wrote.

"But teachers must also be given leeway to challenge students to foster critical thinking skills and develop their analytical abilities," he said. "This balance is hard to achieve, and we must be careful not to curb intellectual freedom by imposing dogmatic restrictions."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2011/0819/US-judges-rule-for-teacher-who-called-creationism-superstitious-nonsense
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Perhaps bizarrely, in the last year I have found many articles in the Christian Science Monitor to be extremely accurate and unbiased, after heavily cross-referencing with other sources. They are absolutely less biased than most mainstream US media outlets, and seem to actually fact-check, which is unusual in "journalism" these days.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I've always found the CS Monitor to be a good source of information.  Admittedly, always means "since 2007 or so", but yeah. 

Phox

Hmmm. Not sure I would get my hopes up over this, but Illinois seems to be becoming more gay-friendly. But I'm going to remain cautiously pessimistic and assume that it's a distraction.

East Coast Hustle

I read the title of this thread and laughed out loud for a couple minutes.

But I admire y'alls optimism.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Luna

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on August 22, 2011, 03:21:15 PM
I read the title of this thread and laughed out loud for a couple minutes.

But I admire y'alls optimism.

Always glad to bring some laughter into somene's day.  Yeah, I realize optimism just opens you up for disappointments, but its occasionally nice while it lasts.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Jenne

I'm just glad to get some good news in with the bad...yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at.

Luna

Bernie Sanders had a bright idea.

Rather than cutting Social Security payments...  How about lifting the payroll cap, instead, and making the people making over $106,800 a year keep on paying...  That'll fund it for another few years, right?

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/08/25/304387/bernie-sanders-introduces-bill-to-lift-the-payroll-tax-cap-ensuring-full-social-security-funding-for-nearly-75-years/

Like...  75 years, apparently.