News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

The Unlimited Atlantic Hurricane Season Fread

Started by Suu, August 23, 2011, 02:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Quote from: Eve on August 29, 2011, 10:41:01 PM
Quote from: Nigel on August 29, 2011, 04:18:38 PM
FFS, on the bead lady forum someone posted a link to a covered bridge in Vermont getting washed out and people are all "I'm crying - that's so tragic!" and I'm thinking IT'S A GODDAMN BRIDGE. It's not like anyone was on it.

To be fair, historic covered bridges are a big thing for the more traditional of New Englanders. How will they make more Greetings From New England postcards without the covered bridges?

If having a covered bridge is so important to someone... they could always...  Oh, I don't know...  BUILD ANOTHER ONE...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Pancho on August 29, 2011, 09:32:19 PM
Quote from: Her Royal Suuness on August 29, 2011, 08:34:55 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 29, 2011, 08:30:21 PM
Al-Jazeera has been mocking the American media reaction to the not-hurricane all evening today.

I think Vermont may have a different perspective on it being a hurricane or not.

Yeah, their coastline was so destroyed it's not even there anymore.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eve on August 29, 2011, 10:41:01 PM
Quote from: Nigel on August 29, 2011, 04:18:38 PM
FFS, on the bead lady forum someone posted a link to a covered bridge in Vermont getting washed out and people are all "I'm crying - that's so tragic!" and I'm thinking IT'S A GODDAMN BRIDGE. It's not like anyone was on it.

To be fair, historic covered bridges are a big thing for the more traditional of New Englanders. How will they make more Greetings From New England postcards without the covered bridges?

Yeah, but structures don't last forever. I understand getting upset when people stupidly tear something down to build a new, less awesome one, but when Nature takes out some rickety old man-made structure, it's NOT A TRAGEDY unless someone dies. The Minneapolis bridge collapse was tragic. The Vermont historic covered bridge collapse is just a bummer.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Yeah, I remember whaling in the Tethys Sea, now it's all gone and some big desert lives there. History happens.

Luna

Quote from: Her Royal Suuness on August 29, 2011, 11:23:02 PM
You can't rebuild history.

This bridge?

It was built in 1970.  I have a little trouble thinking of any structure built in my lifetime as "historic."

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Luna on August 29, 2011, 11:46:14 PM

This bridge?

It was built in 1970.  I have a little trouble thinking of any structure built in my lifetime as "historic."

OMG, what?

Now I'm really laughing at the lady who CRIED. That's just fucking stupid.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I looked it up; it was built in 1870.

Nonetheless, it was not a "tragedy".

Adios

This bridge?

I, on the other hand, do not have this problem with things built in my lifetime!  :lulz:

Luna

Quote from: Nigel on August 29, 2011, 11:51:26 PM

Odd, my link didn't post.

http://www.coveredbridgesite.com/vt/quechee.html

This one said 1970.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Luna on August 29, 2011, 11:55:04 PM

This one said 1970.

Betcha that's a typo, as the builder is "unknown".
Molon Lube

Luna

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 29, 2011, 11:56:36 PM
Quote from: Luna on August 29, 2011, 11:55:04 PM

This one said 1970.

Betcha that's a typo, as the builder is "unknown".

Still digging...

http://www.virtualvermont.com/coveredbridges/quechee.html

QuoteQuechee Hartford
Quechee Lakes Development Corp., 1970

Steel Stringer, 90', spanning Ottauquechee River on Waterman Hill Road in Quechee village.

Not an historic bridge, but worthy of mention due to its size, design and prominence as the principal entry to the village from Route 4.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Luna

Not sure this is the bridge we're talking about, but it's the one I found being destroyed on YouTube.  Was this one it, Nigel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bd6odFBo30

Suu

This bridge?

Oh. Fuck it then.