News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

The Unlimited Atlantic Hurricane Season Fread

Started by Suu, August 23, 2011, 02:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 30, 2011, 04:31:32 PM
Quote from: Pancho on August 30, 2011, 04:29:29 PM
Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on August 30, 2011, 04:26:55 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 30, 2011, 04:23:16 PM
Quote from: Pancho on August 30, 2011, 04:19:34 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 30, 2011, 04:15:02 PM
Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on August 30, 2011, 04:10:23 PM
It's pretty hard to see this corner at night currently because the power is still fucking out.  

Remember when we used to be able to fix shit when it broke?

Barely.

I distinctly remember that in the 70s and 80s, we fixed shit when it broke.

Now we just pray to the Machine God.

Yes, and one thing the power company SHOULDN'T do, is call you, ask you if your power is still out, and then proceed to tell you there is a crew "in the area", hinting that your shit is going to be fixed, and then, the crew doesn't come around, and your shit doesn't get fixed.  I mean, I'd rather just imagine my power company being slow and inefficient, but it's another thing to also think of them as a goddamned tease on top of all that. 

See? This is what is wrong in America, misplaced values. You little people need to settle the fuck down and wait until the important people get their shit fixed first.

FACT.

Paul LePage needs the air conditioner on his dog house, or Mr Fluffy might get too hot.

Don't get me started on that POS.  

Dear Governor,

Photo-op flyovers are not fixing my shit.  Please stop.  Go get more Canuckistanians to fix our wires.  We can't be "Open for Business" if we can't light the damn signs!

Love and kisses,
RWHN

p.s. - no I still won't vote for you.  

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 30, 2011, 04:32:46 PM
Having just googled Paul LePage, I can state with authority that he has a very punchable face.

Yes.  Very definitely.  I miss Angus King.  Angus was our Governor when we had that big Ice Storm.  He got shit fixed. 

AFK

Quote from: navkat on August 30, 2011, 04:32:13 PM
Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on August 30, 2011, 04:26:55 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 30, 2011, 04:23:16 PM
Quote from: Pancho on August 30, 2011, 04:19:34 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 30, 2011, 04:15:02 PM
Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on August 30, 2011, 04:10:23 PM
It's pretty hard to see this corner at night currently because the power is still fucking out.  

Remember when we used to be able to fix shit when it broke?

Barely.

I distinctly remember that in the 70s and 80s, we fixed shit when it broke.

Now we just pray to the Machine God.

Yes, and one thing the power company SHOULDN'T do, is call you, ask you if your power is still out, and then proceed to tell you there is a crew "in the area", hinting that your shit is going to be fixed, and then, the crew doesn't come around, and your shit doesn't get fixed.  I mean, I'd rather just imagine my power company being slow and inefficient, but it's another thing to also think of them as a goddamned tease on top of all that. 

When the power company calls to ask if your power's out, scream into the phone "YES! YES IT IS AND WE DON'T KNOW HOW GRANDMA IS GOING TO BREATHE WHEN THE GENERATOR GOES AND HER O2 MACHINE CUTS OFF. WE DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO TELL HER WE'RE ALMOST OUT OF GAS."

3. ???

4. Profit

5.  "Okay, I've submitted your call-ticket into our database.  Is there anything else I can help you with?" 

Suu

I have to admit I'm actually almost impressed with National Grid so far in RI. They normally don't want to do a thing, but they restored a fair amount of power yesterday. I may owe LMNO lunch after all.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Suu

However, there's something nasty off of Cape Verde. Her name is Katia, and she's a very organized looking tropical storm and will probably hit hurricane status tomorrow before cross the Mid Atlantic Ridge. They're saying Category 3 by Sunday a few hundred miles East of the Lesser Antilles.

Well, FUCK. I was waiting for one of these to show up, this year. She can go Gulf, though. It's that magical time of the year.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

leln

Quote from: Luna on August 29, 2011, 10:46:34 PM
Quote from: Eve on August 29, 2011, 10:41:01 PM
Quote from: Nigel on August 29, 2011, 04:18:38 PM
FFS, on the bead lady forum someone posted a link to a covered bridge in Vermont getting washed out and people are all "I'm crying - that's so tragic!" and I'm thinking IT'S A GODDAMN BRIDGE. It's not like anyone was on it.

To be fair, historic covered bridges are a big thing for the more traditional of New Englanders. How will they make more Greetings From New England postcards without the covered bridges?

If having a covered bridge is so important to someone... they could always...  Oh, I don't know...  BUILD ANOTHER ONE...

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. But HEY, did you know that there's a Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges? I'm not sure if it's exclusive to New England, but regardless of overall scope it's there. I know it exists because even after 4+ years working in a research library I have no fucking clue where their newsletter gets shelved. You'd be surprised, people take their local historical landmarks surprisingly seriously (I think it gives them a sense of justification). While part of me understands the "preserve our past" mindset, part of me agrees with the "oh for fuck's sake, just rebuild it when it gets buggered" perspective. I suppose my ticket for hell is only being reaffirmed at this point.
[initially a "Rabid Wombat of the Eastern Intertubes." Now the] Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Wombat of Wrath and Righteous Retribution.

"If you speak out of turn again, I will unscrew your neckpipe and use the resulting hole for my lavatory.  And I have one fuck of a case of the squirts today."

Adios

Nothing to see here folks, move along. Climate change isn't real, after all.

Hurricane Irene's rampage up the East Coast has become the tenth billion-dollar weather event this year, breaking a record stretching back to 1980, climate experts said Wednesday.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44338096/ns/weather/#.Tl4YT13lhQ0

Adios

Dear Coast Dwellers,

If you buy or build a house on a sandy beach on a coast prone to hurricanes and storms, please STFU when it gets washed out to sea. WTF did you expect?

Luna

Quote from: Pancho on August 31, 2011, 12:48:37 PM
Dear Coast Dwellers,

If you buy or build a house on a sandy beach on a coast prone to hurricanes and storms, please STFU when it gets washed out to sea. WTF did you expect?

Me, I figure if you build anything where three other buildings have been washed away by storms, it's your own damn fault.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Quote from: Pancho on August 31, 2011, 12:20:16 PM

Hurricane Irene's rampage up the East Coast has become the tenth billion-dollar weather event this year, breaking a record stretching back to 1980, climate experts said Wednesday.

Climate change is very real.

Hurricanes used to be stronger.

Cramulus

huh, I wonder if that's controlled for inflation

It's a lot easier to cause a billion in damages now than it was in 1980

Adios

Quote from: Cramulus on August 31, 2011, 02:29:38 PM

I wondered about that myself.

Suu

Quote from: Cramulus on August 31, 2011, 02:29:38 PM

Absolutely. But the trajectory this storm took is a doozy. That's why even though some people are calling it a "dud", Vermont is still under fucking water. Gloria didn't do that. Gloria just carved a path across Long Island and knocked out power and water for 2 weeks.

Also, that reminds me, Aquidneck Island has power again. FUCK. I think RI is almost back up and running entirely.

-Suu
Is losing this bet.

LMNO

After the ice storm, I was pretty sure Unitil would have it's shit together.  NStar seems to be the craptastic one this time.